Bo and Beck

I am I

I heard him in the postgame. He was asked about the offense and he made a short reply about the offense. He was asked about the defense and he seemed happier about them. If they had asked about pizza he would've made a face and a short reply. If they had asked about the voice of Grumpy Cat in the Christmas movie coming out he would've said "That's ridiculous....sounds like a bratty Valley Girl!"...no, that would be me.

I don't think we can take much from the short replies he makes in the postgame. I get the impression that Beck and Cotton are completely in charge of the offensive gameplan (could be wrong about that too) and that Bo has no intention of airing any dirty laundry they may have to the public.

One thought that snags me while watching Nebraska play is that although we run the ball an awful lot, it seems like Tim Beck does not really get the value of the run game. It's like in his mind, it takes too long. It's too predictable. The defense can just load the box and stop it because they know what's coming. Oh no, we'll have to punt a few times.

You have to look at it more holistically. We're a defensive team. The run game, executed smartly, is a gift that keeps on giving. It's dependable (unlike our passing game). It offers variety. It bleeds clock––the master of the game––wears down the opposing defense, neutralizes the opposing offense; meanwhile, it lets your defense rest and adjust and if nothing else sets up field position. Between the defense and special teams (which has been winning the field position battle and scoring points all season) you don't have to dial up complicated downfield passing plays, especially when Purdue showed weakness against the option. (Here I recall Osborne saying that in his offense, an option was like a pass play.)

I'm not calling for heads or anything, and I'm more than happy to listen to any explanation of why what Beck is doing is obviously the best thing to do, but I'll leave it at this: I don't understand Tim Beck. I never have. I suspect I never will. I don't understand his system or why he tries to randomly alternate between every conceivable play type when his team can't reliably execute the snap. We all know what Armstrong is and what he's best suited to do. Beck either doesn't see it or won't accept it; he certainly is not game planning to the strengths of his personnel, and as talented as Nebraska is (partial credit to Beck for that), we are not talented enough to play like we did yesterday and roll through the rest of our schedule.

• Fire 7

Offensively, we have several deficiencies: Line is a long way from the pipeline, after Bell we lack speed at WR (nice to see Pierson El get snaps), our TE's can not block (Cotton was getting knocked all over the field yesterday) and after Ameer there is nothing to fear (Cross is too slow & Newby needs strength). Beck fails to make adjustments when someone does gets hurt, thus McNeese St., Michigan St. & Purdue.

One thought that snags me while watching Nebraska play is that although we run the ball an awful lot, it seems like Tim Beck does not really get the value of the run game. It's like in his mind, it takes too long. It's too predictable. The defense can just load the box and stop it because they know what's coming. Oh no, we'll have to punt a few times.

You have to look at it more holistically. We're a defensive team. The run game, executed smartly, is a gift that keeps on giving. It's dependable (unlike our passing game). It offers variety. It bleeds clock––the master of the game––wears down the opposing defense, neutralizes the opposing offense; meanwhile, it lets your defense rest and adjust and if nothing else sets up field position. Between the defense and special teams (which has been winning the field position battle and scoring points all season) you don't have to dial up complicated downfield passing plays, especially when Purdue showed weakness against the option. (Here I recall Osborne saying that in his offense, an option was like a pass play.)

I'm not calling for heads or anything, and I'm more than happy to listen to any explanation of why what Beck is doing is obviously the best thing to do, but I'll leave it at this: I don't understand Tim Beck. I never have. I suspect I never will. I don't understand his system or why he tries to randomly alternate between every conceivable play type when his team can't reliably execute the snap. We all know what Armstrong is and what he's best suited to do. Beck either doesn't see it or won't accept it; he certainly is not game planning to the strengths of his personnel, and as talented as Nebraska is (partial credit to Beck for that), we are not talented enough to play like we did yesterday and roll through the rest of our schedule.

All of this. Great post!

You could say putting Martinez in the pocket was not his strength either. Makes you wonder why we don't seem to have planned rollout pass plays........as though pocket passing is all there is. And if you think pocket passing is all there is, why recruit the type of QB's we recruit?

Bo needs to learn offense... can't say it any more plainly. He knows all about dealing with it and what problems it can create for defenses but I'm not sure he can wrap his head around what Beck does. Beck is Bo's buddy, his bro, but I'm not sure if Bo and Beck share the same "vision" on how the offense should be. Bo is however willing to stand back and put his trust in Beck. Bo's gonna have to figure out exactly what HIS vision is and not what Beck or Watson or TO would tell him it can be.

It's kinda funny how some of the folks wanting Beck to move on would like to see Frost brought in without stopping to realize that Frost would run damn near the SAME offense as Beck. If Beck were to move on prepare yourself for a dose of "Barney Ball" as I can see Bo making that move to retain the position coach staff. What absolutely makes me twitch is the gut-wrenching admission that ...it...just...might be....workable. Barney knows power football, option, and surely picked a bit of passing game up off Beck. Add a full time QB coach and that dog might hunt.

There, excoriate me as much as you feel needed for trying to find the "Upside of Barney". I'm still struggling with admitting to the idea while not being drunk/hung over.

+1!

Excellent post that was very well articulated.

You are correct about Osborne and his views on the option in his offense. Back then they specifically viewed the option as extension of their passing game. Was it technically a running play? Yes, but to them it was a more effective & safer play than an actual pass for several reasons:

1. They expected each option to gain them 6-7 yards. Run effectively, or if the defense is caught out of position, and these option plays have the potential to go the distance in a blink of an eye.
  2. It's a safer play than a pass because if executed correctly by the QB, the pitch will be going forward slightly down the line of scrimmage, so even if it was a bad pitch it would still be considered incomplete rather than a fumble.
  3. It freed the offensive line to fire off the ball and to block aggressively downhill, imposing their will on undersized linebackers.
  4. It gave their offense an identity that fit the culture of the Nebraska program & its fan base.

I think out of your entire post the comment that I thought was most spot-on in its simplicity was "Tim Beck does not really get the value of the run game."

Does he come up with at times some brilliant running schemes? Absolutely he does...see the crazy zone-read / speed option he ran a few years ago against Michigan. With that being said I do believe his views on how to use the running game drastically differ from how many of us would like to see Nebraska's run game being used.

Anyway, great post Husker_x! I look forward to reading more of them.

• Fire 4

+1!

You are correct about Osborne and his views on the option in his offense. Back then they specifically viewed the option as extension of their passing game. Was it technically a running play? Yes, but to them it was a more effective & safer play than an actual pass for several reasons:

1. They expected each option to gain them 6-7 yards. Run effectively, or if the defense is caught out of position, and these option plays have the potential to go the distance in a blink of an eye.
  2. It's a safer play than a pass because if executed correctly by the QB, the pitch will be going forward slightly down the line of scrimmage, so even if it was a bad pitch it would still be considered incomplete rather than a fumble.
  3. It freed the offensive line to fire off the ball and to block aggressively downhill, imposing their will on undersized linebackers.
  4. It gave their offense an identity that fit the culture of the Nebraska program & its fan base.

I think out of your entire post the comment that I thought was most spot-on in its simplicity was "Tim Beck does not really get the value of the run game."

Does he come up with at times some brilliant running schemes? Absolutely he does...see the crazy zone-read / speed option he ran a few years ago against Michigan. With that being said I do believe his views on how to use the running game drastically differ from how many of us would like to see Nebraska's run game being used.

His experience was as the "passing coordinator" at KU.........nuff said about knowledge of the running game. Great post above.

+1!

+1 to both of you, I've got nothing to add, great insight guys. These are the discussions that built this board, not this ridiculous back-and-forth bickering that seems to be going on lately.

Bo needs to learn offense... can't say it any more plainly. He knows all about dealing with it and what problems it can create for defenses but I'm not sure he can wrap his head around what Beck does. Beck is Bo's buddy, his bro, but I'm not sure if Bo and Beck share the same "vision" on how the offense should be. Bo is however willing to stand back and put his trust in Beck. Bo's gonna have to figure out exactly what HIS vision is and not what Beck or Watson or TO would tell him it can be.

It's kinda funny how some of the folks wanting Beck to move on would like to see Frost brought in without stopping to realize that Frost would run damn near the SAME offense as Beck. If Beck were to move on prepare yourself for a dose of "Barney Ball" as I can see Bo making that move to retain the position coach staff. What absolutely makes me twitch is the gut-wrenching admission that ...it...just...might be....workable. Barney knows power football, option, and surely picked a bit of passing game up off Beck. Add a full time QB coach and that dog might hunt.

There, excoriate me as much as you feel needed for trying to find the "Upside of Barney". I'm still struggling with admitting to the idea while not being drunk/hung over.

Bo has stated that Becks offense gives his defense fits in practice. I am guessing that is why we continually see Beck running what he is running. They might be world beaters in practice but for some reason can't put it together in a game for 4 quarters.

Read this article in the LJS: http://m.journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-beck-rightfully-hard-on-himself-for-repeat/article_afb94b23-2b7a-5f95-a1c9-4d13c608bb97.html?mobile_touch=true

Seems like he's being honest about it all.

That's a good step. However, it's at least the 3rd or 4th time he's admitted to it. I think it goes back to knowing, for sure for fact, that we will have some base things we'll try and do during any game agaisnt any opponent.

Adjust as necessary. If Beck can admit it, then he and Bo must talk about it. Even during this last homestretch of the season, it's never too late to pare things down and " do what you do". I hope Bo instructs beck to stop over thinking it.

• Fire 1

Great points about special teams and Defense.

By all accounts when Bo directly puts his finger on a need of the program it does seem to get better.

Thanks for clarifying when else I heard him say that about the O.

I hope they get it together for these last 4-5 games.

I actually want Bo to succeed. he coaches character and that means a lot to me. His public image has improved and he is learning to be a manager. recruiting appears to be on the rise as well. I am worried that as an inexperienced coach, he has surrounded himself with even less experienced coordinators. Not a good thing. Like Cally and Coz, Beck (IMO) might cost Bo. If there is true frustration, it might be that Bo is looking at options to improve the O and one might be letting his friend go......

I think its time we stop calling Bo an inexperienced coach.