Game 10 “Expert” Picks: Nebraska @ Wisconsin

Saunders

This is one of my favorite things about coming to this board week to week having all this info right here in one place. Thanks for continuing to do all this Saunders.

It looks like everybody sees this as two evenly matched teams with the advantage to the home team. Can't fault them for that. It's logical thinking really. I hope we go out there and prove them all wrong for thinking that way regardless.

• Fire 2

Nebraska (8-1, 4-1) at Wisconsin (7-2, 4-1)

Time, TV: 3:30 p.m., ABC

Line: Wisconsin - 6.5

Over/Under: 57

Setting the Scene: This matchup features two of the best running back in the country. The Huskers’ Ameer Abdullah leads the nation with 187.9 all-purpose yards per game, while the Badgers’ Melvin Gordon leads the country with 166.8 rushing yards per contest. Abdullah is less than 100% coming off a knee injury against Purdue, but how healthy he is remains to be seen. He didn’t practice at all during the bye week, but has worked out with the team this week and is wearing a brace on his knee. Gordon has rushed for at least 100 yards in the last seven games and has gone over 200 yards in a game three times this season.

Prediction: Wisconsin 31, Nebraska 24

ATS: Wisconsin covers

Over/Under: Under

Fun Facts: Wisconsin boasts the nation’s top defense, allowing just 251.1 yards per game. The Badgers also rank No. 3 nationally in scoring defense, allowing 14.3 points per contest. … Through nine games, opposing quarterbacks have completed only 157-of-335 passes against Nebraska, for a 46.9 percent completion rate - the third-best mark in the nation. Opposing quarterbacks have thrown for nine touchdowns, while being intercepted by the Huskers 11 times. … Big Ten teams compete for 17 different rivalry trophies and the newest one will be up for grabs this weekend. This game is the first time the teams will play for the Freedom Trophy, unveiled this week. Since 1901, the Huskers and Badgers have met eight times on the football field with each school winning four games apiece.

This feels like 2012 in a lot of ways, aside from the fact that we beat the Badgers at our place before getting pounded on them in the title game.

Nebraska had a really good thing going with the win streak. We've been a little sloppy, but I think we have had some good moments and we know who we are from a style of play stand point. Wisconsin had been kind of "finding their way" back in 2012 but seemed to be peeking just in time for Indy. This year they've had two QBs and played horrid on offense in the pass game against LSU. Of late, their offense looks good. And the defense seems to be doing a comparable job to the solid work of the Blackshirts.

I felt going into that 2012 title game that Nebraska might lose to Wisconsin, but that it would be a close one. None of us saw the kicking coming. In the times that Coach Bo has talked about that contest since then, he basically said that we got thrown off balance, that we played out of sorts and that we were completely out of character. I remember Coach Osborne saying a similar thing about how a game can get out of hand if one side gets thrown out of whack by big plays early.

This year, the Huskers' trip to Madison has me thinking the same thing. We are very capable of a win. We could possibly lose, but it would be a very close one.

If Nebraska plays "out of character" again, the problems go deeper than any one-off result. I think it would be really hard at that point to argue otherwise.