Coach?

hskerprid

Why not try for Tressel or even Gruden? We have the cash in the coffers....just spitballin here. But I think the Pelini era is done.

Here’s the problem with Gruden. Here are his last six seaons in coaching:

7-9

5-11

11-5

4-12

9-7

9-7

One good season in six. Gruden is clearly a product of hype. Would not want him. Would substantially prefer Bill Cowher.

Bill Cowher now we are talking.

That's the difference between college and NFL. In NFL, the head coach is a coach. He can spend his time in the x's and o's. In college, the Head Coach has to be a CEO and there simply isnt time to meddle and micromanage all the small things. I just dont think Bo is growing in this regard. I think he's a good football mind and knows his sh#t, but like I've said before, he's really shorted himself on his staff. HE CANT DO EVERYTHING. It was noted once that it seems when Bo puts his finger on something it tends to get fixed. Defense, offense, recruiting improved, defense again (or so we thought) this year, special teams and punt returns. But that's the problem. When he focuses on one, something else takes a hit. He cant do it all. You have to have a staff as an HC in the college game. And some guys just arent meant to be in that big chair. I think it's safe to say that Bo is one of them guys. Though many have been saying this for a couple years now. I'll have the dignity to admit to that.

• Fire 1

Bo needed to make it to Indy to be retained after this season IMO

Your opinion is fine....it's the internet.....but I would bet it's not accurate.

TheSker, I have to know what you think the answer is. In year 7 in the 10th game of the year, where does the responsibility fall. How do we fix this?

The responsibility falls on Eichorst and Pelini. The axe is not going to fall on an 8-2 coach. It just isn't. And as far as the plan.....it hasn't changed. The two weaknesses we have known about the team since spring ball are still present.....offensive line and linebackers. Yesterday's performance was absolutely dismal, but emotional, knee jerk decisions won't be made by people responsible for $100 million budgets.

No. Just win 9. He just got a contract extension for winning 9 a year. Why would a trip to Indy be a requirement when he's being praised for less?

Doesn't he get an auto renew extension each season he is retained? Thought I read that somewhere

Not sure. But I hear he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

Your opinion is fine....it's the internet.....but I would bet it's not accurate.

TheSker, I have to know what you think the answer is. In year 7 in the 10th game of the year, where does the responsibility fall. How do we fix this?

The responsibility falls on Eichorst and Pelini. The axe is not going to fall on an 8-2 coach. It just isn't. And as far as the plan.....it hasn't changed. The two weaknesses we have known about the team since spring ball are still present.....offensive line and linebackers. Yesterday's performance was absolutely dismal, but emotional, knee jerk decisions won't be made by people responsible for $100 million budgets.

I'll agree that if they can end up 9/10 wins versus 2/3 regular season losses will probably keep him around due to the negative message it would probably send to potential coaching candidates. However, to act like cutting all/some of the staff would be "knee jerk" is disingenuous. The issues that keep causing these embarrassments are a recurring theme.

The entire college football/coaching community knows the situation with Bo and his staff--it has become common (in games like this) to use their issues as the pre-game dialogue. So I dont think replacing him (despite the 9 win seasons) would DETER ANYONE and if a potential coach was ok with that kind of track record, than they are clearly not the candidate for Nebraska.

Very political answer. I like the backhanded comment directed at others with a differing opinion. I am also quite amazed you seem to have no idea what knee-jerk means, bully for you. When you fail to reach your goals for 7 straight projects, the manager of the group is let go. CEO's of businesses that make $3 million a year and continuously fall short of goals are not retained. Basing a decision based on seven years of systematic failure is not knee-jerk, it is extremely conservative and bad business practice to wait so long.

This McElwain guy looks really good. He's not a newbie having been an assistant HC at Michigan State and has been the HC at Colorado State since 2012 so he has some experience under his belt. He's an OC AND QB coach so he has experience where Nebraska really needs it. THERE ARE COACHES OUT THERE THAT LOOK GOOD!!! I don't know about anyone else but I'm tired of hearing, 'Oh we can't fire Bo because who would come to Nebraska?" Well, this guy just might come here! We'll never know until we try.

1987–1994-Eastern Washington (QB/WR)
1995–1999-
Montana State (OC)
2000–2002-Louisville (WR/ST)
2003–2005-Michigan State (Assistant HC)
2006-Oakland Raiders (QB)
2007-Fresno State (OC)
2008–2011-Alabama (OC/QB)
2012–present
-Colorado State (HC)

• Fire 1