This guy gets "it" when it comes to what NU needs on O.......

lo country

Hire Moglia for a dollar with Frost to be OC/hc in waiting and let him be groomed.

That's the only way is go for it.

I know that sounds good to you, but what happens if he turns this program into a bigger disaster than Bo?

Bo's pretty f'ing far from perfect, but he's coached in the NFL and been on a NC staff, which is more than Joe...

Weiss and Callahan coached in the NFL.
  • Fire 1

Personally I'm not mad about anything.

I have no problem with Bo being hired without head coach experience. Head coaching experience isn't and has never been an indicator of future success. Coaching hires are always a risk.

The trick is minimizing risk while maximizing potential positive gain but all while not letting the idea of being conservative keep you from going after someone that all signs point to eventually being great.

There's no reason not to hire Scott Frost if we need a new coach (just as one example, not the only one). He might not be any better than Bo, but the chances that he could be are really good, and he IS going to be a power 5 head coach soon. We don't want to be the school that missed out on him because we were scared of the gamble.

Frost is definitely not my first choice when it comes to a replacement for our current coach, but I would be ok with it.

I just find it incredibly funny that there are a lot of people out there with some pretty good ties to North Stadium that would not treat it as the prodigal son returning home as many in the media would.

That's neither here nor there, by the way, and it doesn't mean he would be a bad hire. It's just one of the things that would be present. And if those people had an agenda to sabotage and make it hard formFrost to succeed,well then we aren't getting away from a pretty big internal problem that plagued our last three coaches.

Some guy called into overreation saturday and mentioned Frost. Gary Sharps response, give or change an adjective or two was "I know there are numerous former players and alumni that wound not be happy with that all, and I'll just leave it at that". So the whole Frost thing is intriguing.

I'd be on board if were to have a head coach job somewhere else for a couple years and show obvious competence in the position. Cuz in this day and age of College football, being a head coach is so much of a different kind of position than a simple coordinator. There's just so much more to it.

There will be a segment of former players who would not be happy with anyone we hire, no matter their pedigree. We can't let that dissuade us from hiring Frost.

Still not sure Frost is the answer, though. I would like someone with head coaching experience. This isn't a learn-as-you-go job.

Understood. Id just thought I'd throw it out there. Youre right. it'll be that way with anyone. I just wanted to defeat any sort of general idea that Frost would be this almighty reuniting force just cuz he's a Nebraska guy. Lived here, played here, coaches here. Gotta get past the Nebraska guy thing first and foremost. That's how you become Michigan.

• Fire 1

Hire Moglia for a dollar with Frost to be OC/hc in waiting and let him be groomed.

That's the only way is go for it.

I know that sounds good to you, but what happens if he turns this program into a bigger disaster than Bo?

Bo's pretty f'ing far from perfect, but he's coached in the NFL and been on a NC staff, which is more than Joe...

Sorry, but this is the mindset that will forever keep us stuck in 'good' but will never get to 'great'. This is year 7 in the Bo experiment. He's shown us what he has to deliver, these are all his players, his coaches and in a weak Big 10 he can't deliver any hardware. OSU, MSU, WISC are all passing us by. Soon PSU will be turned around wt their new coach. We are loosing ground. Don't let the 8-2 record or '9 wins' decived you into complacency. Like the frog in the ever warming water, we'll soon find ourselves in the bottom half of the big 10 as other programs upgrade and pass us by. The tradition of the program, the fans, and even college football at large deserves a better Husker team than what we are seeing on the field. I was a Bo supporter when he came. My 1st choice back then was Johnson who went from Navy to GT - he has the option as his identity and has been a winner but I was satisfied wt Bo because of our D problems. But it seems that Bo has forgotten how to coach D or his schemes no longer work. I'd be all for NuPolo's suggestion if we can get the package deal of Moglia and Frost wt Frost taking over in a couple of years. But there are many fine coaches out there who would love the opportunity to come to a place like NU - inspite of the other fear that is false - no one will come here. Well if we continue down this track towards being a Purdue that may be true eventually (yes, we'd be a Purdue if we played in a really competitive conf - it the Big 12 we'd be behind TCU, Baylor, KSU, OU, WV and maybe even behind a Charlie Strong led Texas. We'd also be behind last year's OKLA State (this year - not so good). We can't let our easy schedule to delude us to thinking we are better than what we are.

• Fire 2

I would take a chance on Frost for head coach. Would rather he come in here after being head coach some other place first but in either case I think he would be an upgrade to what we currently have.

Who are your choices for coordinators? Is Frost the OC? Could Frost be the DC given his NFL experience? If Frost is chosen, I want the best OC and DC money can buy.

Really guys?

Oregon plays a wide-open multiple weapon offense where the quarterback is just as likely to throw on first down -- or three times in a row -- as the Beck gameplan that supposedly drives you mad. Frost is continuing a Chip Kelly offense that prides itself on unpredictibility. They are the very model of master-of-all-trades. That's why they're perhaps the most fun offense in college football.

The difference is, they're winning. That's their identity. They win.

Even when they lose, they make it exciting. For a decade Oregon's been able to stockpile high-octane offensive talent from around the country. That makes an offensive coordinator's job a lot easier.

Read this article again. Scott Frost isn't so much talking about schemes, he's talking about attitude. Smashmouth, wear-your-opponent down football. Today's Oregon and Tom Osborne's Nebraska ran very different offenses, but they won. Winning wears down your opponent. Scott Frost is combining memories of two football dynasties that were up and running when he arrived. With a demoralized program like we have now, changing the culture is more important than changing the playbook.

Yes. Yes. All of my yes. You, sir, hit the nail on the head.

So people are pissed/mad that Bo was brought in with no experience as head coach, but they are willing to give Frost a chance? Is it because he is a former player and 'understands' the mentality of some of the lunatic unrealistic fans? Is it because he inherited an OC job with endless talent for 'his' system? It is amazing how some are so easily swayed to speak out of both sides of their mouth!

I don't think people have a problem with Bo because he didn't have head coach experience. Plenty of coordinators turn into good head coaches. Bo deserved a shot and got one. It's what he did after that shot that most people have issues with, not that he got hired in the first place. At least that's my opinion.

...and just because "some people" say one thing and "some people" say another doesn't mean that both sets of "some people" are identical or have *any* crossover. It's not like there's a unified voice on the matter.

There will be a segment of former players who would not be happy with anyone we hire, no matter their pedigree. We can't let that dissuade us from hiring Frost.

Still not sure Frost is the answer, though. I would like someone with head coaching experience. This isn't a learn-as-you-go job.

Any given week of any given year you can look through the top 25 and about half of the coaches of those teams didn't have head coaching experience before that gig. It just really doesn't matter much.

That being said, we all know Scott Frost is a fiery and sometimes abrasive guy, and he has been since he was a kid. There's a place to appreciate that kind of no-nonsense, but if you start off the bat with people not liking you, and you don't know how to play the political game, you might be in trouble from the outset.

Read this article again. Scott Frost isn't so much talking about schemes, he's talking about attitude. Smashmouth, wear-your-opponent down football. Today's Oregon and Tom Osborne's Nebraska ran very different offenses, but they won. Winning wears down your opponent. Scott Frost is combining memories of two football dynasties that were up and running when he arrived. With a demoralized program like we have now, changing the culture is more important than changing the playbook.

So a guy that has had success everywhere he's been and has spent his most productive years in the best possible cultures for winning would be a bad hire.....how, exactly?

Didn't say he'd be a bad hire. Just suggesting the HuskerBoard criteria for our next coach is all over the place. Oregon does many of the things people reportedly hate about Tim Beck's playcalling. But Oregon does it a lot better. So they win. I think the "identity" issue goes away when you win. Because you really can be a master-of-all-trades with Marcus Mariota as your quarterback.

As for Frost's perspective, his exposure to winning is certainly a plus, but inherited wealth doesn't always teach you how to get there.

Actually, Oregon has never been famous as "smashmouth." They're famous for being fast, talented and clever. If you think Tim Beck is too cute, you would find the Oregon offense utterly adorable.

It's cool with me. Just sayin'.

Oregon knows what they are. IDENTITY. I know you hate that word Guy. But seriously. What are we?

We're a frickin joke offensively. That's what.

Oregon became a dynasty by reflecting Chip Kelly's personality as a likeable and fearless gambler.

Phil Knight's money didn't hurt. But that's part of their identity, too.

I think we're mistaking playcalling and offensive schemes with identity. Our defense has the exact same problems as our offense in the exact same situations: big game pressure.

Our offensive "identity" actually worked extremely well in a several games this year, notched serviceable three-touchdown wins in others and fostered a Heisman candidate for most of the season.

When Nebraska loses games like Wisconsin, it's because NOTHING worked. Offense. Defense. Special Teams. Turnovers. Sideline behavior. Ameer Abdullah. Nothing.

That isn't cured by a decision to run a simplified smashmouth Power-I offense that we can call our "identity." It's a top-down remake of the team chemistry.

There's not always a name for it other than "great coaching"

Personally I'm not mad about anything.

I have no problem with Bo being hired without head coach experience. Head coaching experience isn't and has never been an indicator of future success. Coaching hires are always a risk.

The trick is minimizing risk while maximizing potential positive gain but all while not letting the idea of being conservative keep you from going after someone that all signs point to eventually being great.

There's no reason not to hire Scott Frost if we need a new coach (just as one example, not the only one). He might not be any better than Bo, but the chances that he could be are really good, and he IS going to be a power 5 head coach soon. We don't want to be the school that missed out on him because we were scared of the gamble.

Frost is definitely not my first choice when it comes to a replacement for our current coach, but I would be ok with it.

I just find it incredibly funny that there are a lot of people out there with some pretty good ties to North Stadium that would not treat it as the prodigal son returning home as many in the media would.

That's neither here nor there, by the way, and it doesn't mean he would be a bad hire. It's just one of the things that would be present. And if those people had an agenda to sabotage and make it hard formFrost to succeed,well then we aren't getting away from a pretty big internal problem that plagued our last three coaches.

Maybe it's ancient history and maybe it's unfair, but Scott Frost's parents were both UNL athletes who had a beef with Tom Osborne and Nebraska. Larry Frost in particular could rub people the wrong way. Some folks thought that sending their son to Stanford was a slap at Nebraska for not showing Scott enough love, although having Bill Walsh personally recruit you to one of the most prestigious universities in the land is a decent rationale.

When it became apparent that Walsh had no intention of playing Scott at QB and intended to groom him as a DB/Safety, the Frosts thought they could waltz right back to Nebraska and insert Scott at QB so he could be the star he was always born to be. And that's pretty much what happened.

There are others still bothered by the role -- or lack thereof -- Scott played in the Lawrence Phillips story. By most accounts that night, LP went to Scott Frost's apartment, grabbed the woman sharing Scott Frost's bed, drug her down three flights of stairs by the hair and bashed her head repeatedly against the mailboxes while Scott Frost.....well there isn't a good accounting of anything 6' 3", 235 lb. team leader Scott Frost did that night to stop his teammate from beating up their mutual girlfriend.

The Prodigal Son thing comes with a lot of baggage for folks with long memories.