Scott Shanle breaks down Huskers' D v. Wisconsin

QMany

Some of you can blame players for not executing this "spill" concept all you want, I won't. It's the same scheme we used in 2012 against them. We couldn't execute it then, we don't execute it now. The talent is here the coaching is not.

Coincidentally, it did work against them in 2012 to the tune of 56 yards on the ground. Did Bo change the scheme?
Did he change it? Id love to know. What was different? Why didnt we stick with it?

Oh, no wait, youre argument is its the players not the scheme, so i guess you believe we were a far more talented defense in 2012 than we are now.

Clearly in your mind this one game overwrites the multiple disasters this offense and defense have combined for?

How about a few weeks prior at UCLA where they gave up 653 total yards, 344 on the ground. That must've been the players fault.

Do you think your only lending to the other ideas about this teams shaky week to week approach as well. Is consistency not something we should expect on either side of the ball? Just asking.

Also, I have 93 yards for Montee Ball himself on the ground that game. Not 56.

• Fire 1

Some of you can blame players for not executing this "spill" concept all you want, I won't. It's the same scheme we used in 2012 against them. We couldn't execute it then, we don't execute it now. The talent is here the coaching is not.

When something is not working you don't just stick with it because you believe in it. Believe in your players. Build around them.

Bring Nate Gerry up five yards off the line if scrimmage and send his ass blitzing every time because he's a mad dog and he plays aggressive. Move him around and make them guess where he's coming from instead of us always doing the guessing.

If we're so in love with read and react, fine do it, but once in awhile blitz, send em all. Don't play scared. Send Zaire Anderson cause the dude can f'ing hit like a wrecking ball and once he lays the wood to someone it seems to build his confidence times 12 and it diminishes the confidence of the back. You think Gordon hits those gaps a hundre miles an hour every time if ZA gets to torpedo his ass instead of " playing leverage" and "spilling".

Corey Cooper may not be an open field tackling machine, I recognize this, why don't his coaches? Send the man blitzing once in a god damn while, he hits like a Mack Truck. You give Gordon a second to see a gap and he won't hesitate and his offensive line, fullback and H back will pave the way.

So why , when they are throwing 8 blockers at the point of attack, would Nebraska march their front four to the line of scrimmage and rarely put anymore there. Wisconsin was able to make the second level every time and the lanes were clear. Blame the defensive line sure....the one we were praising all season long.

Why does Rutgers, Illinois and every other team put 8 guys on the line of scrimmage? You force hesitation that's why. You make Gordon have pause and see the openings. We have the talent that if we would have put 8 of us versus 8 of them, I guarantee we get penetration and win the point of attack.

You lose that point of attack, you lose the game. Watch five minutes of every other team Wisconsin has played this year. None of them did what we did and none of them allowed 408 yards to anyone ever.

To be clear, the offense sucked too.

Here is the problem. In a nutshell. ACTION is always faster than REACTION. Bo has always wanted "academics" over "athletes". After Gordon racked off like 2 highlight reel runs and the game was tied up 17-17, Bo should have sent the dogs. EACH and EVERY FRIGGIN DOWN. What did we have to lose? We were not setting the edge (ala B1G CCg), had given up contain and were letting their jumbo sets blast 8 guys against our 4 DL to insure that bigger guys from Wisky were getting to our 2nd level each and every time. Throw heat seeking missiles into the gap every time. Allow our CB's to be on an Island against the surgical passer known as Joel Stave. Great plan by Bo and Co.....Great plan.......Might have forced Wisky to call off the power sets and go to the air to get us back out of the box, with a QB worse than TA in the passing game.........

• Fire 1

Coincidentally, it did work against them in 2012 to the tune of 56 yards on the ground. Did Bo change the scheme?

The good, Cam was slid inside as a DT and Stafford and Co were free lancing and were not playing sound ball.

The bad. They had like a 3rd string injured QB.....Who couldn't run or throw,,,,

Bo knew they really had no QB......

Knew they would run every play......

Had a plan, that went away very quickly.........

Had no plan B.........

Never adjusted............

Had 3 backs go over 100 yards............

One had over 200......................

Coaching then and coaching now.................

An the O sucked both times..................

Hey Scott, is it the players fault that the coaches didn't take them out of the two safeties deep look? Seems logical to me to stack the box, leave one safety back, considering all Wisky did was run for 581 yards on our defense for the entire game. I'll agree we gave up the edge and didn't seal the play to force it back inside, but it doesn't help when our coaches refuse to adjust and stack the box putting more hats on hats. If we would've dared Wisky to throw the ball, they would've failed miserably, but then again I didn't have two weeks to prepare for Wisky so maybe I'm f-ing missing something?!

Gordon does what he does if you get him in space, make the initial first blocks, get him in open field and he does the rest. Having a 160lb CB like Josh Mitchell, trying to bring down a 230 lb Gordon is laughable at best. Our guys broke down way too early in the secondary during this game to even be able to make a tackle, check out Gerry's break down as an example. One thing you need to have playing secondary is good "hip flipping" ability. He breaks into the secondary and you aren't being aggressive down hill and a sure tackler, you're screwed. Some of their angles were poor, they need to flip their hips sooner to be in position to make a play. All of these things are coachable and it's apparent the coaches aren't addressing these things correctly because the players just keep doing it and doing it.

Well whether Mitchel stops him by himself or not he needs to get a hat on the guy. As far as Shanle saying that it is as simple as setting the damn edge well it is. The DE's have been taught since grade school that you have outside containment. But, it was both the DB's responsibility as we as the DE. They have their own responsibilities on the edge but they both failed Numerous times throughout the game. It just blows my mind that they fell for it Every flipping time in three quarters CRAZY or maybe INSANE would be better there.

Well whether Mitchel stops him by himself or not he needs to get a hat on the guy. As far as Shanle saying that it is as simple as setting the damn edge well it is. The DE's have been taught since grade school that you have outside containment. But, it was both the DB's responsibility as we as the DE. They have their own responsibilities on the edge but they both failed Numerous times throughout the game. It just blows my mind that they fell for it Every flipping time in three quarters CRAZY or maybe INSANE would be better there.

That's what sucks though - because if Gregory is going to crash the middle and the DB is suposed to contain outside - that means there is only a single guy on an island to beat. A good back is going to win that 70% of the time. How is that good scheme? I don't care if Davie didn't execute, he shouldn't be on an island out there against one of the best backs in the game. Never should have been in the position in the first place in the first place. You stretch Wisconsin to the sidelines, you don't crash the middle 9 out of 10 times.

All 3 LBs may have had 3 tackles after the first quarter. Where the hell were they?