Player tweets on Pelini firing

Oh my god...groan...without the fans there is no game.

What you mean is that without the fans there aren't billions of dollars to be made in NCAA football. Other than that, the ball can certainly be teed up and kicked off without your presence.

Football games are played all the time without 90,000 plus fans, millionaire coaches, and Nike designed costumes to wear. The fat cats need someone to foot the bill for such things and also to underwrite their own cushy jobs. That's the where and how and who of fans like you being "irreplaceable" on the present landscape.

So groan away, and make your pleas to heaven above, but someone wanting your wallet isn't the same as someone needing your presence to play football.

What you mean is that without the fans there aren't billions of dollars to be made in NCAA football. Other than that, the ball can certainly be teed up and kicked off without your presence.

Football games are played all the time without 90,000 plus fans, millionaire coaches, and Nike designed costumes to wear. The fat cats need someone to foot the bill for such things and also to underwrite their own cushy jobs. That's the where and how and who of fans like you being "irreplaceable" on the present landscape.

So groan away, and make your pleas to heaven above, but someone wanting your wallet isn't the same as someone needing your presence to play football.

Facepalm_zpsb749ce6b.gif

• Fire 5

So, I'm starting to get the sense that Rose was not the biggest fan of Pelini.

It was pretty obvious based on me creeping on him for awhile I think his son feels the same generally.

Don't blame him. Rose-Ivey is the best LB we have and it showed last year when he finally got the chance and then comes fall practice and all you hear is Banderas is #1 going into the season.

I dont get it, i honestly dont. Why should any player play for a university. Most of the fans dump on any player when they mess up and thats on any team. Why do you think they wouldnt play for the coaching staff but for the fans. I honestly dont get how this is hard to understand.

Here's how I see it. Players=coaches=program=university.

This "climate" is part of the problem we have had with Pelini.

Nope. The climate is the toxic one in where fans claim the team and the game as their own. The fans don't train, practice, sweat, bleed, take the bus rides, study the playbook, do the strength and conditioning, feel the pain, etc., etc., yet the feel like they are a HUGE part of it because they have cable, buy a shirt, or plunk their @$$ down on a seat.

College football was supposed to be for the college students. Unfortunately, college students don't have the income, so marketing morphed it into a way to milk fans of their cash. In return, a 50 year old overweight and out of shape man feels he has the right to say "WE won the national championship!" because he bought an overpriced jersey.

My guess is that the players would have just as much fun playing even if you and I didn't watch them, discuss, them, or tweet them.

Oh my god...groan...without the fans there is no game. What makes Nebraska different than Marshall? Marshall won more than we did this year...history. You don't have history without support. Fans. Students. Faculty. All of this contributes to athletics in different ways. You can't ignore the fans' role in this.

If you mean nothing to Nebraska then why do you support it? Watch the best team each year and cheer for them. Makes no sense. Nebraska has long been known as a place in the middle of nowhere with nothing but their football program.

There is a camaraderie here that you don't find in all sports venues. You think colorado fans bumping into each other in another state sparks football conversation? I can't tell you how many times I've run into Nebraska fans in other states and it starts a football discussion that leads to making a new friend.

The fact that some of us fans are discounting how unique we are as a fanbase is actually shocking. The fan loyalty and closeness with the program is one of the things that makes Nebraska football different. One of the things that stands out. If you don't feel a bond here then you are missing out.

Totally agree. My last roommate hated when I wore my Nebraska stuff when we went out. He knew if there was another Husker fan that saw my attire, that he would be waiting for atleast 5 minutes before we continued on of what we were doing. (I live in oklahoma)

Actually it's the exact same thing. If the fans don't participate, it's because there is no interest and there is no money being put out. The NFL spends lots of money marketing to attract more fans not more players and coaches. This is silly. It's so right in front of your face obvious but you need to defend your argument so it's just not the truth. Whatever. I mean it's really not hard to understand that the difference between Nebraska football and Iowa State football is the fanbase...the money from the fanbase (boosters are included in that). If the fans didn't care then Nebraska doesn't make any money off of football and the football program will no longer exist.

Keep feeling you are irrelevant...

Kind of surprised to see this.

Sean Callahan @Sean_Callahan

I can confirm that former head coach Bo Pelini did not address the team at today's 4 pm meeting ($) http://rvls.co/1yDYFR7 #Huskers

I'm not, Bo is a prick and only cares about himself

I'm actually surprised by this...unless he is scheduling a private get together with the team off campus...I could see that. But not talking to his kids at all is extremely petty...even for Bo.