Player tweets on Pelini firing

I'm glad the players are reacting, they deserve to! However, don't do it over social media, makes every one of them sound like a drama queen and doesn't help them get liked.

Social media is how kids react and put their thoughts out there. It's totally normal for them to do so.

I disagree with the "normal" part of this quote. For some reason, this kind of behavior has gotten to socially acceptable, but "normal"? I don't see what is so endearing to show the world that you are not in control of your emotions in this manner. What happens when the "kids" are 40 and their boss is fired? We told them at 20 that his behavior is okay and I doubt that they will grow out of it. I think it is acceptable for the players to be upset and those who want to move one should explore options, but the extreme emotional outbursts (from both players as well as those tweeting back) is both unacceptable on a personal/individual level as well as long as these student-athletes are serving as ambassadors to the University.

• Fire 1

Some of those players need to get off twitter. They aren't bigger than the program and guys can be replaced. There are plenty of guys out there who would die to be in this program. That's the difference. Yea, I would be upset. But to take to social media and make your school look bad, no place for it.

i also find it ironic that these players have shown ZERO ability to ignore that whole mighty 1% percent. Lookin at you too Kenny. We say this decision is more than wins and losses. This is a perfect example. The obvious cultural breakdown.

Yeah, like what has Bell ever done for this team more than we t-shirt fans have accomplished? Has Kenny even SEEN our post counts? Some of these rants came while many of us were typing injured, yet we manned up.

The nerve!

The fans are not the enemy and that's the whole point. We cheer and support and encourage the team through thick and thin. I couldn't get behind Bo anymore because he despised the fans and the players took on that attitude. Nebraska has always been a family of fans loving their football. Players are immortalized for their contributions. Coaches made untouchable. The fans make all this happen. When Solich was fired I was upset because we fired him for wins/losses. Pelini was fired for so much more...

This "climate" is part of the problem we have had with Pelini.

Nope. The climate is the toxic one in where fans claim the team and the game as their own. The fans don't train, practice, sweat, bleed, take the bus rides, study the playbook, do the strength and conditioning, feel the pain, etc., etc., yet the feel like they are a HUGE part of it because they have cable, buy a shirt, or plunk their @$$ down on a seat.

College football was supposed to be for the college students. Unfortunately, college students don't have the income, so marketing morphed it into a way to milk fans of their cash. In return, a 50 year old overweight and out of shape man feels he has the right to say "WE won the national championship!" because he bought an overpriced jersey.

My guess is that the players would have just as much fun playing even if you and I didn't watch them, discuss, them, or tweet them.

Oh my god...groan...without the fans there is no game. What makes Nebraska different than Marshall? Marshall won more than we did this year...history. You don't have history without support. Fans. Students. Faculty. All of this contributes to athletics in different ways. You can't ignore the fans' role in this.

If you mean nothing to Nebraska then why do you support it? Watch the best team each year and cheer for them. Makes no sense. Nebraska has long been known as a place in the middle of nowhere with nothing but their football program.

There is a camaraderie here that you don't find in all sports venues. You think colorado fans bumping into each other in another state sparks football conversation? I can't tell you how many times I've run into Nebraska fans in other states and it starts a football discussion that leads to making a new friend.

The fact that some of us fans are discounting how unique we are as a fanbase is actually shocking. The fan loyalty and closeness with the program is one of the things that makes Nebraska football different. One of the things that stands out. If you don't feel a bond here then you are missing out.

• Fire 4

we have all worked for bosses who we liked cause they were nice and we have had others we worked for who were hard, and we respected them. i got a lot more out of hard than nice..these kids dont have the perspective yet that playing maybe for nice in the holiday bowl is less fun than playing for a hard ass in the rose bowl....it seems like they really like Bo, and i dont doubt that..Bo's a great man by all accounts, but he wasnt geting it done above a certain level, maybe he was too likeable, hence the kids like him and stick up for him.

its like our kids, we are not here to be their best friends, we are here to be their parents--raise them and hopefully have a great relationship with them at the same time....but not cause we are nice/easy.

Hell...we have cats on this site that have to reply to everything all the time...they gotta get the last word in...

Put yourself in those players shoes now. (The funny thing will be seeing how many people have to reply to this and can't get it go...)

Last word freak. just kidding.

I guess we need to expect these players to be robots, have no feelings, just practice, study their playbook, go to class, and not say anything to anyone.

They can't have fun of any kind. They can't do anything on social media. They can't go to bars or parties. They can't try to bang a chick.

Do I have all this right?

I don't think so. I don't have a problem with players having fun or being upset when they feel a certain way. They should use their status to have as much fun and to hook up as much as possible (as long as on-field performance doesn't suffer), but using their youth and football player status as an excuse to be EXTREMELY over emotional and thinking that they are so special that the world should know EXACTLY how they're feeling when they're "upset" is not something that I agree with.