Hello, Mike Riley

knapplc

Guys, trust your AD. I don't think Wisconsin fans were happy going from Barry Alvarez down to Bret Bielema. Nor was anyone happy when when we lost Bielema we had to look up a coach from freaking Utah State in Gary Anderson. Utah State! What? 4 wins, 4 wins, 7 wins and 11 wins. Thats 3 steps below Oregon State. Alvarez knew far more than the fans looking for splash hires and big salaries. Fans generally don't know squat about X's and O's, leave that to the AD's who have great contacts, let them sort it out. Trust the football minds, not the knee jerk fans reacting to a name they don't know. I would have never picked Gary Anderson but I wouldn't trade him for Saban, winning is only part of the equation and he'll do plenty of that. He'll also graduate kids, he'll recruit character and he'll teach...all while putting the institution first.

Riley may or may not bring championships, only time will tell. The certainty is that he'll represent the university and state well, he'll restore the integrity and pride in your program (by not screaming like a fool at kids or coaches on the sidelines), he'll handle your media with class and the bottom line is the guy still knows football. If he has an identical record to Pelini in 7 years then this is a huge upgrade. Anything more is just icing on the cake.

+1

Great post and Welcome

He was my old pro team coach (Chargers) he was terrible there, but during that time they didn't have great players. I say give the guy a shot, he will bring in a pro style offense. Many times with coaches it's all about fit, I don't think you can hold his past teams against him, let the guy coach and let's see what he can do. Show him support, stand behind him and see what happens.

I was surprised as anyone else. I did like that SE said in his statement that he expects Riley to win BIG championships and compete for national championships. Both plural by the way. That is probably my main concern with Riley is does he know expectations because in the Pac 12 he had the reputation of playing spoiler against some of the consistently higher ranked teams and he pulled it off at times. But now he is the big dog and wondering if he is ready for that? Sure play your spoiler role but you have to win all the rest of the games you are supposed to. I sure hope he is ready to get after it. I'd say he needs to win a BIG championship in next 3 years.

Well recently huskers haven't been able to play spoiler OR win the games we're supposed to win. In fact we've won some games by the skin of our teeth against opponents we should have handily taken care of ie Kellogg's hail mary to tha 'Stache against NW...ameer grinding outt hat TD agaist McNeese. Looking.forward to SOUND fundamental football and Riley WILL bring it

Originally, I was very upset at the hire. Mike Riley....really? However, I will definitely give him a chance to see what he can do. Bo Pelini definitely did not leave the cupboard bare, as the last couple years of recruiting have been his best. Riley has some great players to work with on both sides of the ball, and a proven game changer returning kick offs and punts (and, lucky for us, he seems like he's ready to get back to work).

I will be extremely interested to see who he brings in as his offensive/defensive coordinators, and his assistant coaches. This is Riley's big chance at a big time program, and I would think he's going to surround himself by a fantastic supporting cast. Husker fans will come around during spring ball, fall camp, and once the games start being played, because that's the way we are: the best in the world. GBR!

P.S.>Given his abilities with coaching up QBs, I'm really excited to see what he can do with our cast.

Whoa

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2013/08/oregon_states_mike_riley_in-de.html

Faith

Each morning, Dee Riley wakes to the sound of her husband praying.

She listens as he asks for God to bless his family, then as he asks that every person in his program -- player, coach, and support staff member -- to be granted wisdom.

...Then farts and pulls the covers over her head, screaming "GAS, GAS,GAS!" right? Maybe that's just at my house.

I wonder everyday if maybe we have hit our peak as a program. Maybe we get the a BCS game here or there in the future but I'm terrified we will never be competing for national championships. Like someone stated Riley was a great PR hire. He is great for the program but it will be interesting to see if he can make some noise and get us back. I wonder if the univeristy isn't as concerned about winning as they are a good fit for the program. Let's face it, if we were serious about winning championships we would have shelled out 8 mil a year for a coach that would win a championship in 2 years. Frankly i don't care about anything besides winning. Bo's demeaner would have been instantly forgotten had he won a championship. Do you think Alabama gives a damn that nick Sabah is a dick? No they are laughing at the college football world and pointing at their trophy case.