Hello, Mike Riley

knapplc

I wonder everyday if maybe we have hit our peak as a program. Maybe we get the a BCS game here or there in the future but I'm terrified we will never be competing for national championships. Like someone stated Riley was a great PR hire. He is great for the program but it will be interesting to see if he can make some noise and get us back. I wonder if the univeristy isn't as concerned about winning as they are a good fit for the program. Let's face it, if we were serious about winning championships we would have shelled out 8 mil a year for a coach that would win a championship in 2 years. Frankly i don't care about anything besides winning. Bo's demeaner would have been instantly forgotten had he won a championship. Do you think Alabama gives a damn that nick Sabah is a dick? No they are laughing at the college football world and pointing at their trophy case.

$$ /= success.

LJS has Riley's full contract. Here are the highlights:

Riley will receive $200,000 in bonuses if Nebraska reaches the Big Ten Championship Game and $300,000 if it wins the Big Ten title. He'll receive $100,000 if the Huskers grab a share of the Big Ten West Division title but don't play in the league championship game.
There are additional bonuses for playing in a bowl game. Riley will receive $150,000 for a bowl appearance, increasing to $250,000 if Nebraska reaches a major bowl game, $300,000 if Nebraska reaches the College Football Playoff or $650,000 if NU wins the national championship.
Riley also will receive two automobiles for personal use.

Riley will receive $200,000 in bonuses if Nebraska reaches the Big Ten Championship Game and $300,000 if it wins the Big Ten title. He'll receive $100,000 if the Huskers grab a share of the Big Ten West Division title but don't play in the league championship game.
There are additional bonuses for playing in a bowl game. Riley will receive $150,000 for a bowl appearance, increasing to $250,000 if Nebraska reaches a major bowl game, $300,000 if Nebraska reaches the College Football Playoff or $650,000 if NU wins the national championship.

A Volt and a Prius?

• Fire 1

World-Herald Big Red@OWHbigred 17s17 seconds ago

#Huskers coach Mike Riley's contract includes $950,000 in possible bonuses. See it in full: http://bit.ly/138Y4eM

$100,000 to tie for first in division, but $150,000 just to make a bowl. :dunno

Yeah it's interesting. Similar to Bo's. In addition I think it was 250K for BCS appearance and 500K for winning one. Maybe a little more or less, so don't quote me :)

#Huskers coach Mike Riley's contract includes $950,000 in possible bonuses. See it in full: http://bit.ly/138Y4eM

Yeah it's interesting. Similar to Bo's. In addition I think it was 250K for BCS appearance and 500K for winning one. Maybe a little more or less, so don't quote me :)

Are you saying Pelini had no bonuses built in for reaching/winning the Big 10?

That would certainly explain a great deal :D

Whoa

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2013/08/oregon_states_mike_riley_in-de.html

Faith

Each morning, Dee Riley wakes to the sound of her husband praying. [/size]

She listens as he asks for God to bless his family, then as he asks that every person in his program -- player, coach, and support staff member -- to be granted wisdom.

attachicon.gifNed-Flanders-ned-flanders-28647816-1000-1000.png

Flanders.png

At OSU, he had another year tacked onto his contract for making a bowl. His agent is, apparently, very good.

His agent negotiated what amounted to a lifetime contract at OSU if Riley decided to stay. If they would have fired him they would have owed him a truckload of money. I say the agent did okay.

A Volt and a Prius?
Hopefully 2 Volts, since they're completely awesome! I'm getting close to 1500 miles for every gallon that I burn. Don't be dissin' my Volt! ☺

He'll be gone after the first year, so let's start the new coaching search now.

In that case he'll last a hell of a lot longer than you likely will on this board.

Why am I being targeted here. I'm just expressing my opinion. I'm sorry you don't like it. I've read other post's worse than mine!!

The kool-aid drinkers will call you names if you don't join the Eichorst-Riley cult.

He'll be gone after the first year, so let's start the new coaching search now.

In that case he'll last a hell of a lot longer than you likely will on this board.

Why am I being targeted here. I'm just expressing my opinion. I'm sorry you don't like it. I've read other post's worse than mine!!

The kool-aid drinkers will call you names if you don't join the Eichorst-Riley cult.

All anyone is saying is give him a chance. My sweet Lord

• Fire 2

I tried to think through the situation if we'd gotten Tressel...or any of the "big" names that were tossed around. I found there was probably more downside than upside.

We'll go with Tressel. He gets a big contract...in the $4 - $5.5 million range. He still has to assemble a staff. He has baggage. That baggage would arrive on campus with him. Knowing that the school will get extra scrutiny from the NCAA, how many big name assistants would welcome that hanging over their shoulders?

Now, put aside Tressel and his issues. Fill in the blank with any "splash" hire you had in mind. They also would command a huge salary. They also would have to bring a staff to Lincoln. They likely would also be high $$ guys if we truly wanted the top all across the board. So you've got a huge amount of $$ tied up in staff, with absolutely no guarantee they can bring their former success to Memorial Stadium. Chances of any coach making any team a perennial top 10 team are pretty small if you think about it. What was successful at Miss State would probably not translate to Lincoln, or to South Bend or to Oregon for that matter. Add to that, that we'd be looking over our shoulder to see who was going to steal these dudes away after one good season. But, chances are, the new staff doesn't perform any better than 9 /4 for a couple of years. I think the fan base would be ballistic, even at a higher level, when the "splash" hire doesn't produce.

Take Riley. Long time experience at many levels of the game...(knows people). Has an outstanding character / reputation as a person. Recruits well. Has shown he can "coach up kids" both on the field and in life. Calm demeanor. Positive attitude. Humble enough to know he needs top notch assistants and not buddies running the trenches. Jeez...aside from red hair, we're describing TO almost. If we look at what he's done in Corvalis, with funding and resources that most junior colleges exceed, he's had brilliant success. Given the opportunity to do those basic things as the "CEO" and bring along some skilled coordinators (the key for sure), and give him access to the resources at Nebraska, he has a higher chance of success than any of the "splash" hires mentioned the last week.

Finally...everyone of the "splash" hires that people were wanting, were at one time "just some coach" that got a chance.

If he "recruits well" and "coaches up" then why didn't he win? This says that he gets good players and coaches them to be better players. Those are the 2 keys to winning but he didn't win. If you are not winning, there is no way you are recruiting and coaching well.