Mike Riley's Staff

If Orgeron came here you know he would bolt as soon as that USC position came open. He needs a stepping stone right now and this is probably a good route for him.

you know he would not be here long term.

Soooooo? You don't hire him because he will eventually move on to a different gig? Why not try and see if he feels like staying? Even if it is only for a few years that is still a plethora of high level talent on our roster

If Orgeron came here you know he would bolt as soon as that USC position came open. He needs a stepping stone right now and this is probably a good route for him.

The USC gig ain't opening anytime soon. But yes, IF Orgeron came here I would not anticipate a long stay.

OSU's play by play guy was on 1480. Said he anticipates 8 of Riley's current staff togo with him including the DB coach. I hope this isn't the final outcome.

"Go" as in "to Nebraska" or as in "not at Oregon State anymore". I got the impression that it's the latter. As of this afternoon, none of the assistants knew they were moving to Nebraska.

How do you not hire Orgeron if he's interested?

It's not quite that easy. Yes, Ed O may be interested, but do we know if Riley has any type of relationship with him? Head coaches typically like to hire coaches they are familiar with and have relationships with. Hiring complete strangers is not something they usually do.

Now, maybe Riley got to know Ed O while Ed O was at USC, but who really knows at this point. I just don't want people to be pissed if Ed O isn't hired.

I always interview candidates and find the best possible fit. Regardless of if I know them or not. If Riley hires all of his buddies that isn't acceptable

You don't interview anybody, Hedley.

OSU's play by play guy was on 1480. Said he anticipates 8 of Riley's current staff togo with him including the DB coach. I hope this isn't the final outcome.

"Go" as in "to Nebraska" or as in "not at Oregon State anymore". I got the impression that it's the latter. As of this afternoon, none of the assistants knew they were moving to Nebraska.

as in coming with him here.

Just like they knew who the head coach was going to be!

Soooooo? You don't hire him because he will eventually move on to a different gig? Why not try and see if he feels like staying? Even if it is only for a few years that is still a plethora of high level talent on our roster

Right, it is fine by me, but if I am Riley I might weigh Orgeron's longevity.

I have a feeling he values comittment from his staff.

Right, it is fine by me, but if I am Riley I might weigh Orgeron's longevity.

I have a feeling he values comittment from his staff.

He was quoted as saying he likes to surround himself with people who are better than him in certain areas. If you want someone who will always be with you you keep Barney Cotton and Ross Els

• Fire 1

Orgeron was keynote speaker at the Nebraska Coaches Clinic this last off-season, and apparently had nothing but praise for the program. He has also flat-out said in the last five hours that he would like to be a part of Riley's staff, so I assume they at least know each other. I don't think this is a pipe dream at all. I just hope Riley isn't overly loyal with his OSU assistants, thinking he should take them all along for loyalty alone. We need a great staff and we have the money to build it.

• Fire 1

Having time to reflect if we do get coach O I will be good with this hire. If we get Frost as OC i will be elated. Could be Riley was the only coach willing to take the job knowing frost was coming in and be a coach in waiting

Not in this short of time frame. Stanley's mom has said that they already had a coach several days ago. This guy has turned down Alabama before Saban and USC. He is highly regarded in the coaching circle. My guess is that he was our #1.

• Fire 1