Mike Riley's Staff

Was listening on 1620 for a couple minutes after the presser. They had a sports writer from Oregon familiar with the program. When asked about who he might retain on his staff, she said the receivers coach and the LB coach almost for sure. Both long time assistants , good coaches and recruiters. She also said the two most iffy coaches for rehire are the OC and DC coaches. OC coach is a recent hire and the DC has had some problems this year. I will have to dig into this some more, but thought that was interesting.

edit- LB coach is not a long time assistant. I must have gotten that wrong.

some have brought up the idea of him joining Riley's staff. Riley himself admitted he has thought about it.
“I've got a lot of respect for Scott”, Riley said. "There is no doubt about it, and I was thinking about that on the plane coming out here and the connection there. I have no idea. I have just talked to Scott briefly, and have followed him in his career there. It is an interesting thought. I have no idea where it might go.”

some have brought up the idea of him joining Riley's staff. Riley himself admitted he has thought about it.
“I've got a lot of respect for Scott”, Riley said. "There is no doubt about it, and I was thinking about that on the plane coming out here and the connection there. I have no idea. I have just talked to Scott briefly, and have followed him in his career there. It is an interesting thought. I have no idea where it might go.”

The next few days will be very interesting. No doubt he brings on some of his better assistants. I just hope he is open to potentially better options with others now that he here at Nebraska.

So I have a question for some of the staffing gurus on here from other programs. Taking out names, is the structure of the staff that we currently have common at most other schools? Meaning, if we have/had a head coach and 10 assistant coaches under Pelini, is this what others schools often do?

Do other schools have a chief recruiter that doesn't really coach as much as focus on recruiting and player development? And do any schools have a special teams coordinator at the same level as the OC and DC?

With SE's ability to put whatever funds are needed out there, I'm thinking we may not only pay more for the assistants in the structure Pelini had, but we may also grow that structure to include one or two additional roles.

Thoughts?

I think Riley has to hit it out of the park with getting the DC hire right and guys to coach a top defense. We are not winning BIG on offense alone. This was my biggest disappointment with Bo. Couldn't ever live up to the defense that everyone had hoped for. Defense needs to be our reputation. Are we going to produce offenses better than Oregon, Auburn, TCU, Baylor, etc.? Probably not. We have to improve the OL by leaps and bounds. Do you see how much time Mariota has back there? And the RB always gets the ball with ample time to get back to the line of scrimmage and more. We have much work to do on offense. But can we reach a defensive level like an Alabama, LSU, or Michigan State. I would say yes. And if we do this and our offense is good and does not turn the ball over, then we win BIG. I like where our DL is going. Very concerned about thin LB corp with no standouts. Same goes for secondary...too shaky and no standouts. I really want some ballers on defense. Gregory was breath of fresh air and some of the DL is showing me improvement. Davie needs to ball out. Gerry was great in first half but looked slow against good competition...maybe he moves to LB? We will miss Zaire. Bando, you're up. Just have seen nothing much from Santos? Kalu...young and wild. I am hungry for a defense that kicks ass! #Beastmode #BallOut #Blackshirts