Choose a Side, Huskerboard

Choose your Side  

273 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This guy is going to prove all the doubters wrong - great hire IMO. Wait until you see the staff - I am 100% confident it will be heads and shoulders above Beck/JP

This is all that really matters to me at this point. Like someone else said earlier this week (not sure who), pay the best (read: experienced) coordinators .8 - 1.2 million per year. Bo didn't try that. At all.

Please, new guy - try that.

I worry about the type of offense he may want to run, but I think he may adapt to his players

Major concern. All I've heard is that Beck threw too much and that in Lincoln we need a coach that utilizes the power running game, yet we hire a guy that has a history of throwing the ball all over the place and many seem to be ok with it.

I don't get it.

Well part of the problem was that we had the personnel for a run first school but forced the pass. Nobody really had much of a problem back in 06 and 08 when we had the quarterbacks that could throw.

So, my first reaction was utter disappointment and shock that the hire was not Tressel. But, the more I read about Riley, the more I realize that this could potentially be a great hire after all.

He has my full support. I need to remind myself that once he gets here, he has a clean slate. I can't judge the guy by his past records, especially when he led with a spectacularly poor athletic budget and program.

I'm starting to develop a gut feeling that things will be exciting. I'm on Riley's wagon.

GO BIG RED!!!

I worry about the type of offense he may want to run, but I think he may adapt to his players

Major concern. All I've heard is that Beck threw too much and that in Lincoln we need a coach that utilizes the power rubbing game, yet we hire a guy that has a history of throwing the ball all over the place and many seem to be ok with it.

I don't get it.

With Armstrong at QB, we have to utilize the power run game, because letting Armstrong air it out all game is betting the farm on a long shot at the track. With the new staff in place, maybe we can get Stanton out there and be able to run a spread offense.

I really don't care about Nebraska's power run tradition. I just want an offense that works. It's pretty safe to say that without Abdullah, our offense didn't work this season.

Major concern. All I've heard is that Beck threw too much and that in Lincoln we need a coach that utilizes the power running game, yet we hire a guy that has a history of throwing the ball all over the place and many seem to be ok with it.

I don't get it.

Well part of the problem was that we had the personnel for a run first school but forced the pass. Nobody really had much of a problem back in 06 and 08 when we had the quarterbacks that could throw.

Riley is a guy that plays to his team's strengths. The last few years with Mannion have been pass heavy because he has a really good quarterback. Look at the years before Mannion, his offenses were balanced. The only times his team showed way more passing than running are when he had Mannion and Derek Anderson, one started in the NFL, the other will be drafted. Then you enter a guy like Steven Jackson and the team is more run-oriented.

I'm I was unpleasantly surprised at the negative reaction to this hire. I hope its just a lot of people that simply don't know much about Riley so they don't consider this a "splash" hire. I don't have a crystal ball on how things will turn out, but be assured this is very much considered a "splash" hire to those in the business. I know it was mentioned earlier in this thread about being pursued for the USC job. Did you also know he was pursued for the Bama job before it was offered to Saban?

Those that didn't like him in San Diego are in good company with the Dolphins fans that didn't like Saban, the Falcons fans that didn't like Petrino, and even the Pats and Jets fans that didnt care for Pete Carrol. None of these guys were any good in the pros, but look what those 3 names have accomplished at the college level. I bet everyone would've been happy had we hired one of these guys. Remember when Saban was an "average" coach at Michigan St? Yeah, me either. :sarcasm

And I'm willing to bet that a lot of the same people bitchin' about Riley's record at OSU, also wanted prospective coaches to look past Bo's "9 win" mark. Don't use the same argument against Riley that you used to hope we got the coach you wanted.

I agree with those that say we need to not be divisive. I was generally surprised at fans' initial response to this hire. Also, continue to see negativity from the players. Hopefully, Riley can change their opinion, or it could be a rough first season. Would hate to think that the players can't let Bo go and end up poisoning the well.

I think this move may be a step backwards. Bo at least got 9 wins a season, this guy has not proven can do do that. consistently. Now that he is hired, we will have to wait and see. On the positive side, he does have good talent to work with.

Riley owns 8 of the 11 winning seasons Oregon St. has had since 1972. The three others were by Erickson with Riley's recruits. Comparing Bo's 9 wins with Nebraska's talent and tradition to Riley over at Oregon State is unfair. Just have a look at their results from 1972-1996 (year before Riley took over) it's one of the worst stretches any program in the nation has gone through

I have no idea how Riley will do at NU, but man some of you guys really have no clue about him or Oregon St. University. First of all anyone ever been to Corvallis, Or. Its an agricultural community with an Ag college in it. It is the ugly little sister to Oregon and Eugene. OU is a Beautiful campus in the at the edge of the trees. OSU is in the agricultural plain between the mountains and the coast. Nothing too special about the campus.

They have never been a consistent winner and usually they have been downright bad before Riley got there. They have never had a sugar daddy like Phil Knight. They have nothing close to the facilities, or resources that Oregon or Nebraska has. Riley has built a solid program that is very respected as a team that you better bring your A game or you will be losing.

In the PAC 12 pecking order only WSU probably has worse facilities and situation than OSU. Riley has done a good job at OSU, I worry about the type of offense he may want to run, but I think he may adapt to his players.

Look no guarantees I know he is not the wow hire but he may be a right hire. I say that because I think there could be lots of hires that could do it at NU.

Agreed. I have family in Albany and been to a game in Corvallis (long time ago, but still)...the facilties were quite meager...the stadium not much more than a large Texas high school stadium...and it is nigh impossible to keep up with the free loving liberals at Eugene (Nike money has made it into a monster). Eugene is a very cool place...if the Ducks and Beavers both offered a kid out of school, it is a no brainer as to where he is going