There seems to be this weird phenomenon where, when the coaching cupboard is bare, people look around at all the potential coaches out there and think, "This is mine." They become possessive of coaches that were never going to come here, and express disappointment that they got away.

I agree with this, but Orgeron did say he had interest in coaching at Nebraska.
  • Fire 1

Is that what we call a "splash?"

Could be a very good hire for them. With Steele and Orgeron, it certainly shows dedication to recruiting.

Orgeron just doesn't sound like Riley's style. And I guess Steele passed on NU, so it is what it is. LSU is a really good opportunity, too.

There seems to be this weird phenomenon where, when the coaching cupboard is bare, people look around at all the potential coaches out there and think, "This is mine." They become possessive of coaches that were never going to come here, and express disappointment that they got away.

Bingo!

I agree with this, but Ogeron did say he had interest in coaching at Nebraska.

Riley never expressed interest in Orgeron, only answered questions from the press, and he was nothing other than noncommittal.

Ed Orgeron was never in the mix here. That's what makes the "he got away" thing so weird.

• Fire 1

this stings a little.

I'm just curious as to why this stings now. The sting should have happened a month ago when we hired our coaches and he wasn't among them. I'm just glad he didn't go to another Big 10 school.

I don't want to speak for Chris, but I'll expound why I think it stings. Orgeron expressed interest in coaching at Nebraska. He had a prior relationship with Riley, has a tremendous amount of experience, and is a great recruiter. He has been at marquee programs, and has even been a head coach. Some thought he was just throwing his name in the ring but was likely positioning himself for a head coaching job. Some thought he wouldn't take anything less than a DC position. Now, he is taking a job as a DL coach. In the meantime, we hired Hank Hughes. That is not meant to diss Hughes, I'm excited to see what he will do with the DL. He has years of experience, just not on this big of stage, and I don't know if he can hold a candle to Orgeron recruiting.

Honestly, I don't understand the fascination with this guy. I think we got a helluva coach in Hank Hughes and we have a lot of experience and talent on the defensive side of the ball with the coaches we have now. If something is stinging, you guys might want to hit up your doc for some penicillin to clear that up.

The fascination for most fans is that he is known as a relentless recruiter and recruiting coordinator (I think, not sure about that second part)...

Not that Hank Hughes won't be...in fact I would argue that Hughes is the better hire of the two

this stings a little.

I'm just curious as to why this stings now. The sting should have happened a month ago when we hired our coaches and he wasn't among them. I'm just glad he didn't go to another Big 10 school.

I don't want to speak for Chris, but I'll expound why I think it stings. Orgeron expressed interest in coaching at Nebraska. He had a prior relationship with Riley, has a tremendous amount of experience, and is a great recruiter. He has been at marquee programs, and has even been a head coach. Some thought he was just throwing his name in the ring but was likely positioning himself for a head coaching job. Some thought he wouldn't take anything less than a DC position. Now, he is taking a job as a DL coach. In the meantime, we hired Hank Hughes. That is not meant to diss Hughes, I'm excited to see what he will do with the DL. He has years of experience, just not on this big of stage, and I don't know if he can hold a candle to Orgeron recruiting.

How do we know he had a prior relationship with Riley? They never coached together. They may have known each other in passing from their days at USC and Oregon State, but I don't think they have a relationship.

Orgeron expressed interest in coaching at Nebraska.

Houston Nutt was interested in Nebraska too, so much so that Pedey had the plane on the tarmac waiting for him.

Always gotta take expressed interest with a grain of salt.

I wouldn't complain if Ed Orgeron was on our staff. But I don't think it's an "aw, darn" that he isn't.

The fascination for most fans is that he is known as a relentless recruiter and recruiting coordinator (I think, not sure about that second part)...

Not that Hank Hughes won't be...in fact I would argue that Hughes is the better hire of the two

You're just saying you would rather have both, right? I get that sentiment. The more good recruiters you have the better.

this stings a little.

How do we know he had a prior relationship with Riley? They never coached together. They may have known each other in passing from their days at USC and Oregon State, but I don't think they have a relationship.

Well...I don't think they have F***** if that is what you mean by a relationship

this stings a little.

yup, this exactly. when his name was getting thrown around I didn't think we had a chance. figured he'd be an HC somewhere by this time. to see him to go LSU at the DL position, when he could have been here a month ago kind of sucks.

it does however make me question Orgeron though. what don't we know about the man that's keeping him from big time jobs. for everything I saw at USC he handled the interim position perfectly. had a large portion of the fan base and the entire team behind his promotion to HC, it just didn't happen. Now he's off a year and ends up a DL coach? has to be more to the story here.

You're just saying you would rather have both, right? I get that sentiment. The more good recruiters you have the better.

Yeah...ideally you would want a great coach/great recruiter.

I think Hughes can/will be both of those.

Riley did say that he has a good relationship with Orgeron.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/mike-riley-process-of-assembling-staff-begins-friday-afternoon/article_81ca8de4-7ca2-11e4-a5fd-27249c21df60.html