this stings a little.

I'm just curious as to why this stings now. The sting should have happened a month ago when we hired our coaches and he wasn't among them. I'm just glad he didn't go to another Big 10 school.

I don't want to speak for Chris, but I'll expound why I think it stings. Orgeron expressed interest in coaching at Nebraska. He had a prior relationship with Riley, has a tremendous amount of experience, and is a great recruiter. He has been at marquee programs, and has even been a head coach. Some thought he was just throwing his name in the ring but was likely positioning himself for a head coaching job. Some thought he wouldn't take anything less than a DC position. Now, he is taking a job as a DL coach. In the meantime, we hired Hank Hughes. That is not meant to diss Hughes, I'm excited to see what he will do with the DL. He has years of experience, just not on this big of stage, and I don't know if he can hold a candle to Orgeron recruiting.

yup, this exactly. when his name was getting thrown around I didn't think we had a chance. figured he'd be an HC somewhere by this time. to see him to go LSU at the DL position, when he could have been here a month ago kind of sucks.

it does however make me question Orgeron though. what don't we know about the man that's keeping him from big time jobs. for everything I saw at USC he handled the interim position perfectly. had a large portion of the fan base and the entire team behind his promotion to HC, it just didn't happen. Now he's off a year and ends up a DL coach? has to be more to the story here.

I think he doesn't want just any HC spot...I think he wants to be a great place and is probably thinking "Why be the HC at freaking Lame State...when I can do less work and get paid a ton at LSU

Is that what we call a "splash?"

Could be a very good hire for them. With Steele and Orgeron, it certainly shows dedication to recruiting.

Orgeron just doesn't sound like Riley's style. And I guess Steele passed on NU, so it is what it is. LSU is a really good opportunity, too.

There seems to be this weird phenomenon where, when the coaching cupboard is bare, people look around at all the potential coaches out there and think, "This is mine." They become possessive of coaches that were never going to come here, and express disappointment that they got away.

Bingo!

I guess. But has recruiting been a problem for LSU? Seems they shoulda focused more on what they actually bring to the table in terms of development and in-game coaching. How much more talent can you actually get?

How do we know he had a prior relationship with Riley? They never coached together. They may have known each other in passing from their days at USC and Oregon State, but I don't think they have a relationship.

Riley did say that he has a good relationship with Orgeron.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/mike-riley-process-of-assembling-staff-begins-friday-afternoon/article_81ca8de4-7ca2-11e4-a5fd-27249c21df60.html

Thanks for the article. Who knows what type of "relationship" it is. I am guessing it's that they "know of each other", but that's about it. I could be wrong.

I think he doesn't want just any HC spot...I think he wants to be a great place and is probably thinking "Why be the HC at freaking Lame State...when I can do less work and get paid a ton at LSU

i don't doubt this at all - but to go from almost having the USC job (a top 5 destination) to not even being mentioned for jobs like Florida, Wisconsin, or Houston - or even SMU, etc - just seems kind of odd to me.

i don't doubt this at all - but to go from almost having the USC job (a top 5 destination) to not even being mentioned for jobs like Florida, Wisconsin, or Houston - or even SMU, etc - just seems kind of odd to me.

Yeah, good point.

That is kind of what I was thinking. He would rather be at a big program, than pay his dues at a smaller school at age 53. He's been at some big programs, or the NFL, since 1998.

There seems to be this weird phenomenon where, when the coaching cupboard is bare, people look around at all the potential coaches out there and think, "This is mine." They become possessive of coaches that were never going to come here, and express disappointment that they got away.

I agree with this, but Ogeron did say he had interest in coaching at Nebraska.

Riley never expressed interest in Orgeron, only answered questions from the press, and he was nothing other than noncommittal.

Ed Orgeron was never in the mix here. That's what makes the "he got away" thing so weird.

Had Riley expressed interest as well this would sting more. Since Riley filled the spots with guys he wanted Im ok with not landing Ed.

Urm, no.

Orgeron = one of the best recruiters in the country and a coach that knows how to balance "fire" with actual coaching. He expressed interest in coming here in some capacity and yet we hired people for whom we'll have to take a wait-and-see approach with fingers firmly crossed.

Nothing possessive, entitled, or unrealistic about being bummed that we did not get a highly talented coach that expressed interest in coming here.

• Fire 1

There is no guarantee that Orgeron would have been a success if he came here. Instead Nebraska has 3 defensive coaches with DC experience. The DL coach we got actually put quite a few guys into the NFL while at Connecticut which like Nebraska doesn't have a lot of talent in its own back yard. Just because Hughes wasn't in the blind side doesn't mean he can't have success. Let's just see what happens.

Urm, no.

Orgeron = one of the best recruiters in the country and a coach that knows how to balance "fire" with actual coaching. He expressed interest in coming here in some capacity and yet we hired people for whom we'll have to take a wait-and-see approach with fingers firmly crossed.

Nothing possessive, entitled, or unrealistic about being bummed that we did not get a highly talented coach that expressed interest in coming here.

People want jobs all of the time. Everyone is making it sound like Orgeron was interviewing Nebraska and other schools and then making his pick among a multitude of choices. If he's such a good coach and recruiter, why hasn't he coached since he was at USC?

Generally speaking, the sling blade voice and attitude doesn't mesh well with Riley's personality. Y'all need to move on.