The Mike Riley Presser

knapplc

Im a Nebraska native born and raised. Im the son of a coach and I've coached at the High School level and I've played my share of sports. I've lived in the Pacific NW for the last 17 years. I have numerous friends who went to Oregon St. and a few who played football. When I got a phone call from one of the ex college players laughing and saying we just hired Mike Riley, I thought it was April 1st. What a head scratcher of a hire. I've been reading these blogs for years and wear my big red gear proudly in Oregon. I was never a BO fan, but I was a huge advocate of Scott Frost. You won't get the results and all the sunshine that's being pumped for this guy. I get that many of you want to believe that we can once again make an impact. What you'll get is typical PAC 12 football. Lots of passing and poor defense. You'll get lots of the "ole shucks" gee whiz from Coach Reily. I've seen him enough on TV throughout the years. Eastern Washington beat his Beavers along with Sacremento State. Sorry he may be a great guy and high character and been coaching for years. Awesome then why not better results. As several of my friends in Oregon have remarked. His teams are soft and no killer instinct. Take it for what it's worth. I feel is a bad hire.

• Fire 2

Osborne teams were remarkable for one thing, in my opinion. ALMOST ALWAYS playing to the utmost of their ability. It was what Tom demanded. That is why so many great teams emerged where they might not have otherwise.

That is what I wish to see. During Bo's time we have had incredible talent that, for various reasons, just didn't (or wasn't able to) play to their potential.

Reading through player statements from Tom's era, a constant theme struck me:

We'd be down 3 to Oklahoma or some highly ranked team with 4 minutes to go and Coach would be cool as ice, smooth and confident. But other times we'd be up 60-21 over Kansas or someone and Tom would be upset at a missed block, or Charlie would be screaming about someone out of formation, just getting in their faces.

Above is a paraphrase, but the attention to detail is what I hope for. Knowing that our players will play the best game they can, every single week. And if they lose, the deep understanding that they were simply beat by a better team, NOT by the mistakes they made or poor play in general.

If we can attain that, I think the big games will fall into place naturally.

First presser, you could tell he was a bit nervous and rightfully so. Seems like a nice guy so he gets a pass for coming off like Painfully Awkward Rob Lowe.

A few suggestions... despite what he may have read in a brochure, he needs recognize DONU as less Mayberry and more Terminus. Even nice guys can get eaten alive here. ex. Doc Sadler.

Ixnay on the illBay allahanCay.... dropping his name might have gone over well in the interview with Perlman but in the rest of the state it's a surefire way to guarantee a high percentage of spit in any food or drink you don't prepare yourself.

Open practices...might hold off for a year till you get the lay of the land. That way you avoid "Black Friday"-type crowds and mayhem and you won't look like a meanie for having to close them down to actually get something done.

If you are serious about looking at retaining any of this staff, do it now and get them out on the road before the dead period. Salvage what you can of the class and avoid a bubble down the road.

And lastly, if you find the opportunity to accidently refer to Dirk Chatlain as "Dork" you'll earn support from unforeseen segments of the fanbase and promote the healing process. :thumbs

First presser, you could tell he was a bit nervous and rightfully so. Seems like a nice guy so he gets a pass for coming off like Painfully Awkward Rob Lowe.

A few suggestions... despite what he may have read in a brochure, he needs recognize DONU as less Mayberry and more Terminus. Even nice guys can get eaten alive here. ex. Doc Sadler.

Ixnay on the illBay allahanCay.... dropping his name might have gone over well in the interview with Perlman but in the rest of the state it's a surefire way to guarantee a high percentage of spit in any food or drink you don't prepare yourself.

Open practices...might hold off for a year till you get the lay of the land. That way you avoid "Black Friday"-type crowds and mayhem and you won't look like a meanie for having to close them down to actually get something done.

If you are serious about looking at retaining any of this staff, do it now and get them out on the road before the dead period. Salvage what you can of the class and avoid a bubble down the road.

And lastly, if you find the opportunity to accidently refer to Dirk Chatlain as "Dork" you'll earn support from unforeseen segments of the fanbase and promote the healing process. :thumbs

Im sorry but f#*k this.

Bill Callahan happened. He coached Nebraska for four years. He had two wretched years and two other ones where this board went gaga for by about a 70/30 margin. We believed in Bill Callahan.

Acting like he's some bogeyman that we can't mention means we will never move on , move past and accept/learn from our mistakes.

Riley is a football mind,he's our coach, he accepts us for our glory and our faults that's what he meant when he referenced BC.

Jesus, enough. It was 7 years ago and we hired Bo as a result. Not exactly the cleanest fix.

We will never move on if we don't acknowledge our past mistakes. And I feel Riley/Eichorst know this. We should too

• Fire 2

am i wrong here, but isn't callahan pretty respected in the nfl? at least as a position coach?

Very much so, in fact.

i am very much wrong in thinking that? your response could not be more ambiguous.

He is very much respected almost to the same extent that you are very much wrong about just about everything you have ever said.

Do you understand very much?