Sker4Ever

Johnny Stanton

Seems like this hire is a great opportunity for him. Maybe his first chance to get a legitimate shot at playing. We know the previous coaching staffs unwillingness to go away from someone they were loyal too. As you can see he seemed very excited about meeting coach Riley as he's seen waiting to shake his hand. I think this staff will give him the opportunity to grow as a quarterback and he is someone who I truly believe will flourish at Nebraska if he's given a fair shot.

Let's not go around throwing accusations that Johnny has been slighted by the previous staff, please.

He has to be excited if for no other reason than he's already got a relationship with the new coach, which almost every single other player can't say. Johnny's a good kid and he'll get his chance.

• Upvote 4

Bo started a RS freshman at QB over a Senior because he felt like he gave him the best chance to win. I fully believe that if Stanton was better than Armstrong this year, he would have started.

• Upvote 9

Gotta think all the QB's will be on the same level. Whoever picks up the new O-coordinators system will have the best chance to start.

Stanton is just comfortable with the new coach... but i bet the other guys are excited as well to have a coach who can actually help them grow.

Bo started a RS freshman at QB over a Senior because he felt like he gave him the best chance to win. I fully believe that if Stanton was better than Armstrong this year, he would have started.

This. The previous staff praised Stanton, but said he was inconsistent.

Going forward, I'm excited to see what our QBs can do with what seems likely to be more and better hands-on QB coaching.

It will be awesome to see how the new staff evaluates all the current players. It will be very interesting if any new contributors emerge that were buried before... I'd imagine many will. Especially along the OL.

this is debateable, in my opinion.
  • Upvote 2

When you want to be the teacher's pet you supposed to bring an apple. What do you bring to a football coach?

Holy sh#t I had no idea you could put together a full grammatically error free sentence! Sock puppet is growing up right before our eyes

Stanton.... five star QB... Did I forget his rating? Could have sworn he was Rivals three star.

He was 3 on rivals but I seem to recall that all of the other places bumped him to 4 stars after Elite 8.

When you want to be the teacher's pet you supposed to bring an apple. What do you bring to a football coach?

Wow, you're still here? I would have thought the remains of your corpse would be warm ashes by now, cooling at the stake some people probably wanted to tie you to.

Seems like this hire is a great opportunity for him. Maybe his first chance to get a legitimate shot at playing. We know the previous coaching staffs unwillingness to go away from someone they were loyal too. As you can see he seemed very excited about meeting coach Riley as he's seen waiting to shake his hand. I think this staff will give him the opportunity to grow as a quarterback and he is someone who I truly believe will flourish at Nebraska if he's given a fair shot.

I see this pic of Riley grabbing Stanton, and I think:

"This arm.....gettin ready to throw for 2000 yards this year?"

"We dependin on you boys. 22 letterman coming back. Lookin tough"

• Upvote 2

2,000 isnt very much.

Going forward, I'm excited to see what our QBs can do with what seems likely to be more and better hands-on QB coaching.

Yeah...cuz Tommy was rock solid as QB :huh:

Its cool sock. I forgive you. Frost better be coming as OC still. : }

The Sock will do what he can. (Which is absolutely nothing fyi).

Sock you don't give yourself enough credit. You made this board quite interesting and probably set a record for the most activity in one thread

IMO, no other player will be as hungry as Johnny during winter conditioning, spring ball and summer workouts.

The long-prophecied QB brawl between Stanton and Armstrong should finally materialize this Spring. Look forward to it, it'll make both players better.

And Darlington, Bush...you have guys coming off redshirt years with a clean slate in a new system. There's a lot of excitement here, I think.

It was stated yesterday on one of talking head shows that Stanton was high on Coach Riley's list, and also that Stanton had made the comment that Coach Riley was his favorite coach during his recruitment. He has to be a very happy young man. I wonder if having what he thought was a great QB in the ranks, had some effect on his coming here. No idea, just a thought.

TA needs a coach. I'm curious to see how he responds. He has skills.

I watched Ryker Fyfe play a few high school games. That kid can play too. I wouldn't be shocked to see him in the mix.

The real thing Stanton now has is a chance. I wouldn't put anything more into it than that.

I watched Ryker Fyfe play a few high school games. That kid can play too. I wouldn't be shocked to see him in the mix.

The real thing Stanton now has is a chance. I wouldn't put anything more into it than that.

Coaching can help, but TA better learn to throw with more accuracy.

Being the backup QB is the greatest job in the world, haven't you guys seen Blue Mountain State? No but seriously though,I would absolutely LOVE to see the skers w a legit qb. Tired of having a rb for a qb who can't throw.

You guys are making it sound like while Riley was trying hard to get Stanton, Stanton was forced upon Bo, so Stanton will finally get a fair shake from Riley. We (Bo) recruited Stanton just as hard, maybe harder since we got him. Bo wanted Stanton to succeed as much as anyone. I tend to believe Stanton just wasn't ready this year. Maybe he will be next year with better coaching. I think everyone is going to get a new look next year, but I don't buy that we're going to unleash a superstar who was unfairly buried at 3rd string last year.

And if you want to wildly speculate on motives, isn't it also possible that Riley will be resentful that Stanton turned him down and hold it against him? I don't think that will happen, but it's just as valid.

• Upvote 2

And how to read defenses.

You guys are making it sound like while Riley was trying hard to get Stanton, Stanton was forced upon Bo, so Stanton will finally get a fair shake from Riley. We (Bo) recruited Stanton just as hard, maybe harder since we got him. Bo wanted Stanton to succeed as much as anyone. I tend to believe Stanton just wasn't ready this year. Maybe he will be next year with better coaching. I think everyone is going to get a new look next year, but I don't buy that we're going to unleash a superstar who was unfairly buried at 3rd string last year.

And if you want to wildly speculate on motives, isn't it also possible that Riley will be resentful that Stanton turned him down and hold it against him? I don't think that will happen, but it's just as valid.

I would be totally shocked, but sure, that could happen. I have had guys that did not come out for my team one year...but came out the next. I was a little pissed at first...but if they were good at football...I got over it! haha

I think it's his decision making skills. Football instinct. The problem is how do you teach someone that? You can't really. He has a big arm and I definitely like that about him. He's actually this years version of Martinez to me because Martinez once in the open field had straight out speed to burn but his passing was obviously suspect. He had obvious positives about him but came with some bad tendencies. Armstrong has a rifle and can run decently also but as we've seen sometimes the ball goes into the wrong hands too much or he just misses his target all together so in the end he's turning the ball over to much almost like Martinez did. He had the chance to improve in season 2. He made some amazing throws and then made some really horrible ones and he had some fumble issues. Throw a new coach and scheme at him and it could either be a blessing or a curse. Stanton looks like a physical specimen just standing on the sidelines. I just want to see what he can do.

2,000 isnt very much.

He will throw for 1500 yards with his other arm too.

You are probably right, for this system, jack of all trades offesne that Beck ran.

But. That does not mean that Stanton wasn't the most talented QB on the roster. We've heard over a 100 times now, that Riley molds offense around his players. He'll see that Stanton has the most talent. Mold the offense around him to have him succeed. No doubt in my mind Stanton is the starter next year.

Probably is debatable. I just believe that Bo was a lot of things but he's not a coach that doesn't play the best player in a skill position.

Probably is debatable. I just believe that Bo was a lot of things but he's not a coach that doesn't play the best player in a skill position.
i cant help but argue with this. Too many instances otherwise. Banderas over Rose(had rose not been hurt, this woulda happened), last year Randle over Collins/Valentine, Alex Lewis over Price. Cotton over Kondolo. Pelini over Reeves. Santos over Anderson. Cooper still playing for whatever the hell reason.

These were obvious. With obvious results on the field, to casual fans. And thats just the last two seasons. Youll never convince me that Martinez was our best chance to win on 2010 over a senior Zack Lee, even with all the flashes. Martinez was a project for the future, but he wasnt the best quarterback at the time in 2010

• Upvote 2

i cant help but argue with this. Too many instances otherwise. Banderas over Rose(had rose not been hurt, this woulda happened), last year Randle over Collins/Valentine, Alex Lewis over Price. Cotton over Kondolo. Pelini over Reeves. Santos over Anderson. Cooper still playing for whatever the hell reason.

These were obvious. With obvious results on the field, to casual fans. And thats just the last two seasons. Youll never convince me that Martinez was our best chance to win on 2010 over a senior Zack Lee, even with all the flashes. Martinez was a project for the future, but he wasnt the best quarterback at the time in 2010

And that's why its debateable. But in your examples you didn't mention one skill position.

I agree with your last part. That still bothers me to this day. That season could've been so much more.

I'm not buying Stanton is on the bench just because. I've heard several talking heads say that he definitely has some work to do. Its pretty sad when a walk on is ahead of a 3/4 star on the depth chart.

Pelini said in fall camp that Stanton, at times, looks like the best QB on the team inconsistency was his trouble. With Armstrong playing all year, and being terribly inconsistent at times, I wonder how bad Stanton must have been in Beck's system to not get a chance to even play in a mop up role this year.

Pelini said in fall camp that Stanton, at times, looks like the best QB on the team inconsistency was his trouble. With Armstrong playing all year, and being terribly inconsistent at times, I wonder how bad Stanton must have been in Beck's system to not get a chance to even play in a mop up role this year.

Must be a coaching thing. If I remember correctly, wasn't he the QB everyone was gushing about at the Elite 11 camp he participated in?

Must be a coaching thing. If I remember correctly, wasn't he the QB everyone was gushing about at the Elite 11 camp he participated in?

Yes. If I remember right he was actually leading the Elite 11 camp after day two. He couldn't attend the next day due to other arrangements and that put him behind the rest.

maybe we will have someone to actually develop our QB's this year? using a GA in the past was a small commitment for the guy who handles the ball every down.

• Upvote 1