On Bo Pelini's values: What he says vs. what he does

knapplc

I am unfamiliar with Matthew Hansen of the OWH, but he nailed a few things in an analysis of the team meeting.

Pelini talks of core values but lacks more than a few

Bo Pelini has a shockingly incomplete, strangely stunted idea about what values really are, doesnt he?

Heres a value: Model the type of behavior you want to see in 18- to 22-year-olds the boys entrusted to you by their parents as they become adults. Not the exact opposite.

Heres a value: Handle adversity with class. Even when its not easy. Especially when its not easy.

Heres a value: When things go south, look in the mirror and accept at least some of the blame. Maybe its not entirely your fault. But is it ever really not your fault at all? Quit saying that thing about pointing the thumb instead of the finger until you actually mean it.

Heres a value: Never, ever use the C-word. Its misogynistic to the extreme. Its the antonym of the word class.

It's an article very much worth the read. His conclusion is dead-on accurate.

• Fire 5

I just cant wrap my head around someone preaching core values then rips his former superior with words like c**t and pu&&y. Blames consistent on the field problems on negativity from fans and media. Continues to drive a stake between the team and the fans, school, and administration. I just....

It's mind boggling.

• Fire 1

They (whoever 'they' are) say money cannot keep you warm. I guess Bo proves that's true.

However, I KNOW I would be very warm, fat and happy with the amount of money he is scheduled to receive from NU. That alone would make me grateful enough to be gracious about the whole affair.

When exiting like this, with that amount of money, Bo could not have made it more clear that it was well past time for him to be replaced.

I'm kind of done wasting my thoughts on this dude. He's gone. We know what he was like. I just wonder how does this tape play out if you're the parent who's son is now being recruited by Pelini and his staff at YSU? Do you say anything to your son in terms of maybe suggesting that he think extra hard about potentially having this man be your coach for the next 4 years given his public track record?

I know I don't feel our kids deserved what they got in Pelini as far as someone who was supposed to be their leader and proof of his setting bad examples and just generally being an idiot is definitely out there with this tape sadly being just another one.

He's messed up man. I feel kind of bad for him actually. The only value he really possesses is his version of loyalty (personally i don't think acting like that is really being loyal to anyone's best interests). The problem is his version of loyalty seems to trump every other value one might have - respect, integrity, honesty, etc. As long as he feels he is being loyal to the people he cares about it's as if everything else he does is justified. That's not right and that's no way to be. He talks about being a leader but that is not the type of person people really want to follow. It's no wonder he yells at the refs (or the fans) like he does - he probably feels like its ok because he's doing it for his guys. Talk about loyal to a fault.

• Fire 2

Great article...I like the end:

He advises his players to trust their guts, “because your gut’s right.”

"So I’m going to trust mine. My gut is unsure if Mike Riley will win more football games than Bo Pelini. My gut is telling me this transcends wins and losses, that it’s about much more than that now. My gut is screaming this: Nebraska is better off, as a state, now that Bo Pelini is coaching college football somewhere else."

• Fire 2

Excellent column. I particularly like the last line:

My gut is unsure if Mike Riley will win more football games than Bo Pelini. My gut is telling me this transcends wins and losses, that it’s about much more than that now. My gut is screaming this: Nebraska is better off, as a state, now that Bo Pelini is coaching college football somewhere else.

Good read Knapp;

As much as I am disgusted with Bo's tape gate "2", it really does not surprise me. He was in over his head for a long period of time and all he can do is to try to stroke his own ego and act like an a$$hat in front of the kids (Student athletes). The kids have to realize that Bo is off his rocker. He berated the program, the leadership and if I was YTS, I would say we rescind the offer.

He is lost and just like in the tough games he found himself in on the playing field, he is folding like a cheap suit!