Where do you see Nebraska Football in five years?

NUpolo8

I see us winning the West, but I'm not sure about any B1G titles. Ohio State is/was a one team pony in the B1G. They are loaded with talent. Even though Hoke didn't pan out at Michigan, they are loaded with talent. Harbaugh is a good coach, and he will eventually give Urban a run for his money. Riley isn't on the same footing yet with Ohio State and Michigan in terms of talent. I don't think he can stack the cupboard in just five short years. I see us being competitive with the opportunity for a B1G title and a potential place in the playoff.

If Michigan St can do it, Nebraska sure the hell can. We just need to find the right guy. And it's quite possible we have. We just dont know yet. But to write us off cuz someone appears to be better isnt no good.

Indiana marched into Columbus and almost pulled off the win. Anyone can beat anyone.

Michigan State under Dantonio has only won one outright B1G title. The predictor was the first five years. Yes, I think we'll be in similar circumstances with Michigan State where we're at least competitive. In the first five years, we are going to be in a talent disadvantage to Ohio State and Michigan. There's a reason Ohio State hasn't lost a regular season B1G game. Meyer walked into a program with a mountain of talent. Riley didn't.

I see us winning the West, but I'm not sure about any B1G titles. Ohio State is/was a one team pony in the B1G. They are loaded with talent. Even though Hoke didn't pan out at Michigan, they are loaded with talent. Harbaugh is a good coach, and he will eventually give Urban a run for his money. Riley isn't on the same footing yet with Ohio State and Michigan in terms of talent. I don't think he can stack the cupboard in just five short years. I see us being competitive with the opportunity for a B1G title and a potential place in the playoff.

If Michigan St can do it, Nebraska sure the hell can. We just need to find the right guy. And it's quite possible we have. We just dont know yet. But to write us off cuz someone appears to be better isnt no good.

Indiana marched into Columbus and almost pulled off the win. Anyone can beat anyone.

Michigan State under Dantonio has only won one outright B1G title. The predictor was the first five years. Yes, I think we'll be in similar circumstances with Michigan State where we're at least competitive. In the first five years, we are going to be in a talent disadvantage to Ohio State and Michigan. There's a reason Ohio State hasn't lost a regular season B1G game. Meyer walked into a program with a mountain of talent. Riley didn't.

Two dropped balls from 11-1, hangin right with a team widely being perceived as a playoff team next year (USC) with an interim skeletal staff indicates we have the talent. In 2013, Michigan St was in the boat Ohio st is in now. The hot team late that gets in a the playoffs and who knows what happens. yeah, I get what youre saying in regards to Ohio Sts talent. Not arguin that they dont have that clear advantage. I just wanna point out that it's not the end all say all. It just seems that what theyve done in developing qb after qb and going to New Orleans and beating a perceieved invincible SEC Bama team, that it's time for the other 13 BigTen programs to go ahead and wave the white flag and surrender the conference to Ohio St for the next decade. it's amazing how perceptions so quickly change. 12 weeks ago we were all pointing to Ohio St with the 'ha ha' as they struggled to acclimate Barret into the starting role. I dont know. Hopefully I'm making sense of where I'm coming from. My thoughts are that if Ohio St can do, and if Michigan St can do it. So can we. Hell, Michigans already bein penciled in as back cuz of who they hired. But what does Michigan have to offer that we dont? And the supposed recruiting disadvantages? Well, I just buy it as much as I used to. It's just a matter of what you put into that phase. Bo was making some pretty good improvements in that area himself.

If Michigan St can do it, Nebraska sure the hell can. We just need to find the right guy. And it's quite possible we have. We just dont know yet. But to write us off cuz someone appears to be better isnt no good. Indiana marched into Columbus and almost pulled off the win. Anyone can beat anyone.

I find it endlessly interesting how Nebraska's talent level seems to evolve with the argument.

1 or 2 conference championship appearances. I have to ask, what makes Nebraska fans think they will be any better with Riley? I just don't see it but I do like the optimism.

Experience

Dedication to recruiting

Bringing in the fanbase for a greater product.

Better QB development

Better coordinators who aren't piss boys or yes men

• Fire 3

-The new coaching staff's ability to keep this class together has shown they have chops on the recruiting trail.... No matter how you feel about the new guys, it can't be denied how impressive that is.

- The difference in experience between the Bo/Riley coaching staff is staggering. You have to think experience counts for something.

- The early signs point to the fact that they "get it" in the modern age of CFB. The way they use social media, and embrace the blessing that is Nebraska's fanbase..... is well, a nice change....

I have more, but I'm tired of putting thoughts-to-keyboard :nanalama

Advantage Riley!

(Polo's forecast for the next 5 years of Nebraska football aligns with my thinking as well)

We will be introducing a new HC in 2020

Correct.

I am not so sure about that one.

You are probably right. It would be 2018 or 2019 more than likely where we will introduce a new HC. By 2020 we will have offered an extension. It would be unlikely to get to the final year of a deal and have just extended the coach a year prior and then fire them.

So, my amended opinion is in 2020 we will have already had a new HC.

We will be introducing a new HC in 2020

Correct.

I am not so sure about that one.

You are probably right. It will be 2018 or 2019 more than likely. By 2020 we will have offered an extension. It would be unlikely to get to the final year of a deal and have just extended the coach a year prior and then fire them.

So, my amended opinion is in 2020 we will have a new head coach.

I'm even less sure about that one.

I'll go with 2 four loss seasons out of the next five, two 11 win seasons, 2-3 CCGs, hopefully one+ win out of those, and if we're lucky, playoff discussion in more than one season at some point during the year (not necessarily in the closing weeks).

It'd be outstanding but optimistic to predict a 12 win season, I think. Those are not easily obtained.

I think unless Riley fails, he'll be coaching longer than five or six seasons here.

It may take 5 years for Riley to recruit the kind of players he wants. Nebraska isn't all the sudden going to start recruiting a bunch of 5 star guys that are ready to play from day one. It will take a few years for Riley to get his kind of guys and then develop them. over the next 5 years I don't think the record will look much different than they have the last 7 years. Maybe less blow outs but it's not like Riley never got blown out at OSU by teams like Washington. Riley was hired to be nicer than Bo in my opinion not to win championships. If he has a similar record as Bo but is nice about it he isn't going anywhere as long as the sellout streak continues. A lot of 10-2 and 9-3 regular season records. Nebraska has a lot of work to do to catch Ohio State.

Another interesting dynamic they talked about on Unsportsmanlike Conduct yesterday was the lack of championships won by our new staff over the years. Now while that may be somewhat concerning, I like to look at the positive of that. We've got a lot of guys that have been in the game for a LONG time and to never have won a major championship for any particular level of football says that the motivation factor for such a group has to be sky high. Obviously Riley has to see an opportunity for him to take such a job this far away from his home where he was thought to be engrained for the life. And to be bringing back guys from various places that have been with him in the past who had left him at one point or another says to me they see it too. For a lot of these guys, it has to be the last opportunity for a life's work in a field to pay off for something incredible. So I look at the motivational factor of it all.