Tim Beck to Ohio State

Didn't like Beck as OC. IMO, he should have been fired before Bo. No QB development, stubborn, mish mash play calling, square peg in a round hole etc.....Glad Urban picked him up. Guy just didn't get it done at NU. Regardless of Bo, injuries etc....Beck made some great calls and some of the dumbest I have ever seen. Unfortunately, many of the head scratches cost us games......

Great coaches have made bad hires. If Beck shines, is it because he is a good OC or OSU and their 68% blue chip recruits for 2013-2014 (up 17% from 2011-2012). Right behind Bama at 73%.......The talent possessed by OSU would make an average OC (I'm giving Beck credit) look all world. If he succeeds it also gives more evidence that Bo was the biggest problem......

Like everything else i.e. recruits, coaches, ex players etc that move on.....good luck. Lets look forward to what NU has not what they had...

Were any of Beck's calls dumber than throwing the bomb on 1st and 10 with a 7 point lead, 2 and a half minutes to go and Bama having only 2 time outs left. That was the single dumbest play I've ever seen. Another high on my list happened in the 1st have of same game: 1st and goal from the 1, a 250 pound QB, and they line up in shot gun with an empty backfield. Sneak the damn thing 3 times if you have to.

They were stacking the box and he went for the kill shot. He even said it would have ended the game and he was right. My goodness, play to win the game and don't play to not lose the game.

Maybe they should have thrown all 3 times and then faked the punt. Each one would have been ever more surprising to Bama. Play to win the game. Playing to win the game with a 7 point lead means run the clock, and if you don't get a first you punt. Hell, they had the ball at mid-field. Providing you don't get the first you put them in a position where they have to drive 80 yards with under a minute to go. This isn't rocket science. Play to win the game.???

Didn't like Beck as OC. IMO, he should have been fired before Bo. No QB development, stubborn, mish mash play calling, square peg in a round hole etc.....Glad Urban picked him up. Guy just didn't get it done at NU. Regardless of Bo, injuries etc....Beck made some great calls and some of the dumbest I have ever seen. Unfortunately, many of the head scratches cost us games......

Great coaches have made bad hires. If Beck shines, is it because he is a good OC or OSU and their 68% blue chip recruits for 2013-2014 (up 17% from 2011-2012). Right behind Bama at 73%.......The talent possessed by OSU would make an average OC (I'm giving Beck credit) look all world. If he succeeds it also gives more evidence that Bo was the biggest problem......

Like everything else i.e. recruits, coaches, ex players etc that move on.....good luck. Lets look forward to what NU has not what they had...

Were any of Beck's calls dumber than throwing the bomb on 1st and 10 with a 7 point lead, 2 and a half minutes to go and Bama having only 2 time outs left. That was the single dumbest play I've ever seen. Another high on my list happened in the 1st have of same game: 1st and goal from the 1, a 250 pound QB, and they line up in shot gun with an empty backfield. Sneak the damn thing 3 times if you have to.

They were stacking the box and he went for the kill shot. He even said it would have ended the game and he was right. My goodness, play to win the game and don't play to not lose the game.

Maybe they should have thrown all 3 times and then faked the punt. Each one would have been ever more surprising to Bama. Play to win the game. Playing to win the game with a 7 point lead means run the clock, and if you don't get a first you punt. Hell, they had the ball at mid-field. Providing you don't get the first you put them in a position where they have to drive 80 yards with under a minute to go. This isn't rocket science. Play to win the game.???

If you score, it's game over. Is it risky? Of course it is but if you risk nothing, you gain nothing.

Your scenario is playing to not lose. And that strategy fails as often as it works.

I would agree with your plan if the team was up by 2 or more scores. Or if I knew my opponent had an incredibly crappy 2 minute offense. If neither of these apply, I'm going for more points. And if I think I can grab those points in one long bomb, I'll give it a shot.

Wrong with your cliche. In this case if you risk nothing you gain from a running clock. Once again I ask you if it's such a great call why not do it on 2nd and third down, and then fake a punt on 4th. You've never coached have you?

Well, the idea is that you try the play on 1st down because Bama is expecting you to kill clock. So they might commit another defender trying to stop the run. So you're going to have a higher chance for 1-1 coverage and I'm sure they were very confident in their WRs vs Bama's QBs. You tell your QB not to force anything. Cardale didn't.

So when you throw it on first down, you then get Bama thinking that you might throw it again. It creates a little uncertainty. And I'm sure Ohio State was confident Bama wouldn't be able to march down the field in a minute with no TOs to tie the game.

It was a calculated risk that didn't work out, but ultimately didn't hurt them. I'll trust Urban's decision making on that play.

Help me here. I totally don't get the "I'm sure they were very confident in their WRs vs Bama's QBs." Makes no sense. I think you meant CBs. Who knows? Second, Why would they be so confident? Bama had already intercepted 2 passes. Third, you say "You tell your QB not to force anything." Go back and look at that play. The Bama defender had the receiver blanketed and could easily have made the pick had he turned around. Fourth, My thought process after seeing a first down pass would not be "Oh, they might pass on 2nd and 3rd down." It would be just the opposite. You can bet Saban was thrilled to see OSU pass, because the clock was his biggest problem which leads me to my final point. Bama had 2 timeouts. Did you not see the interview after the game where Urban admitted the decision to pass was ill advised? I wonder if he called the play or if it was the OC. Maybe that's why they want 2 OCs.

I'm gonna laugh really hard the 1st time TB costs them a game by calling two passes from 3rd and 2 and then 4th and 2, when they could have just rammed it forward to get the 1st. Or better yet how about a 3rd and 2 and your QB takes a sack because you out thought yourself. Its gonna be hysterical.

I won't believe Urban will let him actually call a play until I see it. That co-OC title must've been a side agreement to keep news of "towel boy" from his wife. I think Urban must've just needed a gopher on the sidelines.

I'm gonna laugh really hard the 1st time TB costs them a game by calling two passes from 3rd and 2 and then 4th and 2, when they could have just rammed it forward to get the 1st. Or better yet how about a 3rd and 2 and your QB takes a sack because you out thought yourself. Its gonna be hysterical.

If you watch much football, you'll notice many if not most successful OCs calling pass plays on 3rd and 2. Sometimes two passes in a row. I'm thinking of Scott Frost less than 24 hours ago. Of course sometimes the same OC chooses to run the ball. Sometimes that works, but sometimes the runner gets stuffed because the defense saw it coming. You have seen that happen, haven't you? Even Marshawn Lynch behind Seattle's offensive line wasn't a given on 3rd and 1 last Sunday.

It's adorable how Nebraska fans think victory is as simple as just "ramming it forward" every time.

• Fire 1

If you watch much football, you'll notice many if not most successful OCs calling pass plays on 3rd and 2. Sometimes two passes in a row. I'm thinking of Scott Frost less than 24 hours ago.

I'll bet Frost is wishing his offensive line was more PHYSICAL at the line of scrimmage. I have no idea what Herman was doing last night, but it was painfully obvious to me (and probably the majority of you all) that Oregon couldn't stop the run at all last night, cept on a few 3rd and shorts.

P.S. - as a guy who 'watches football' - and actually coached it on both sides of the ball, I can tell ya that most offensive coordinators aren't going to call a pass play if the defense can't stop the run.

Ergo....

Even Marshawn Lynch behind Seattle's offensive line wasn't a given on 3rd and 1 last Sunday.

Ezekiel Elliott.

Game 1. 20 carries, 220 yards.

Game 2. 20 carries, 230 yards.

Game 3. 36 carries, 246 yards.

Seems like Urban Meyer thinks that "ramming it forward" actually works.

• Fire 1

If you watch much football, you'll notice many if not most successful OCs calling pass plays on 3rd and 2. Sometimes two passes in a row. I'm thinking of Scott Frost less than 24 hours ago. Of course sometimes the same OC chooses to run the ball. Sometimes that works, but sometimes the runner gets stuffed because the defense saw it coming. You have seen that happen, haven't you? Even Marshawn Lynch behind Seattle's offensive line wasn't a given on 3rd and 1 last Sunday.

It's adorable how Nebraska fans think victory is as simple as just "ramming it forward" every time.

What's adorable is that you think Beck's at-times inexplicable playcalling was part of some brilliant master plan...when it seems clear to anyone who was paying attention that it was due to a combination of simple incompetence and trying to prove how clever he is and ultimately outsmarting himself. Far too often he looked like Wile E. Coyote atop an ACME rocket. The end result was predictable.

• Fire 1

Well if this story is true, never saw a confirmation of it in the first page, so still wondering, the old dumb coyote is in the hen house getting what he wants.

Being a dumb sh#t and getting an offer from Ohio State and Urban Meyer, just does not go hand and hand. He makes hundreds of thousands of dollars working for the current National Champion, and Nebraska fan calls him in adequate. Inadequate is in Ohio, but not at Ohio State. Fricken mail room guys they ruin every business.

• Fire 1

You covered all of us with that ludicrous generalization.

Beck is a good OC. Our offense has been really good the last couple of years, just look at the numbers.

Our defense was the problem, not our offense. Beck will do great, imo.

How's about we look at the numbers against teams with a pulse? That's the issue here. People look at our stats like the offense was so great when those numbers were padded against sh#t competition, and usually failed miserably against good teams. Not great teams. Not elite teams. Just "good" teams. Wisconsin last year? Sure the defense gave up 59, but what did the offense do to alleviate the pain when things started going south besides constant turnovers and 3 and outs. Michigan St this year? LOL. Sorry. But that game alone is enough to justify it not being a very good offense. McNeese St? Purdue? Minnesota? I mean, cmon.

Ok. Now. I've already admitted my wrong thoughts on Beck. Obviously he's got a good football mind to get the jobs he's gotten. I know that. And now it is clear that here, he probably wasnt the problem. But I jsut dont wanna see this Ohio St hire turn into a topic of retreat that maybe we shoulda kept the guy. it wasnt working here. Not when it mattered. Our qb develepment was garbage. We've had two quys in a row that arguably regressed under his tutaledge, and the offense was erratic and inconsistent. So I just refuse to use stats and "the best offense since 2001" to justify his prowess.

Beck is a good OC. Our offense has been really good the last couple of years, just look at the numbers.

How's about we look at the numbers against teams with a pulse? That's the issue here. People look at our stats like the offense was so great when those numbers were padded against sh#t competition, and usually failed miserably against good teams. Not great teams. Not elite teams. Just "good" teams. Wisconsin last year? Sure the defense gave up 59, but what did the offense do to alleviate the pain when things started going south besides constant turnovers and 3 and outs. Michigan St this year? LOL. Sorry. But that game alone is enough to justify it not being a very good offense. McNeese St? Purdue? Minnesota? I mean, cmon.

Ok. Now. I've already admitted my wrong thoughts on Beck. Obviously he's got a good football mind to get the jobs he's gotten. I know that. And now it is clear that here, he probably wasnt the problem. But I jsut dont wanna see this Ohio St hire turn into a topic of retreat that maybe we shoulda kept the guy. it wasnt working here. Not when it mattered. Our qb develepment was garbage. We've had two quys in a row that arguably regressed under his tutaledge, and the offense was erratic and inconsistent. So I just refuse to use stats and "the best offense since 2001" to justify his prowess.

I don't think we should have kept him. My point (and I'm sure other share the same opinion) is he wasn't bad/terrible/awful.

I don't think we should have kept him. My point (and I'm sure other share the same opinion) is he wasn't bad/terrible/awful.

Agreed. That's just a cliffs notes of my thoughts I guess. With what we've learned over the past weeks in regards to the mindset of the team and program, the toxic relationship betweent the Admin, staff, bo, etc., and the complete team-wide implosions on the field, it's safe to say that Tim Beck and his offense were the least of the issues. But when youre a Boliever as I was till the very end, it's hard to see that. You wanna justify Bo being the right guy by saying someone else isnt. There was obvioulsy lots at play there. My guess is we'll get a lot of answers to some that stuff this fall. Not just outta Lincoln, but probably outta Columbus as well.

I think he was a lot better than he was allowed to be. But, I take his stats with a grain of salt. 392 yard on 64 plays, out gaining the opponent by 30ish. 182 on the ground. That looks like a solid day. But when your TOP is only 21 minutes, and you turn the ball over 5 times those big numbers turn to sh#t pretty quick. That's Beck's (Bo's) offense in a nutshell

What OC in the country does not run up the numbers against sh#t competition? They all do. Frost had amazing numbers all year. Play Ohio St.'s defense and all of the sudden one of the best offenses in the country can only muster 20 points.

Or play and undefeated, defending National champion and look better than ever.............

Our offense was not that good this year. Sorry, but it wasnt. Watch the games. Look who we played. Who we were successful against, and who we struggled against. Watch the games. I was preachin way back when we played Rutgers and after sloppy performances against them and Purdue, I was predicting 2 losses in the last 3 games BECAUSE OF OUR OFFENSE. Granted the defense gave up over half a hundred at Wiscy, but the offense only scored 17, and like I said, didnt do anything on their behalf either to try to regain control, and went scoreless in the final 3 quarters. What happened in the second half agaisnt Minnesota is laughable. Straight up laughable. And these arent even great teams. Just good teams. Hell, Ohio St was "slowed" by the juggernauts Penn St and Va Tech, but proceeded to light up Wisconsin, Alabama, and Oregon. Name me the last good team that our offense had a great game against a great opponent. Not necessarily a complete game, cuz that term is kinda weird to me. But just a great game overall.

What OC in the country does not run up the numbers against sh#t competition? They all do. Frost had amazing numbers all year. Play Ohio St.'s defense and all of the sudden one of the best offenses in the country can only muster 20 points.

Or play and undefeated, defending National champion and look better than ever.............

Our offense was not that good this year. Sorry, but it wasnt. Watch the games. Look who we played. Who we were successful against, and who we struggled against. Watch the games. I was preachin way back when we played Rutgers and after sloppy performances against them and Purdue, I was predicting 2 losses in the last 3 games BECAUSE OF OUR OFFENSE. Granted the defense gave up over half a hundred at Wiscy, but the offense only scored 17, and like I said, didnt do anything on their behalf either to try to regain control, and went scoreless in the final 3 quarters. What happened in the second half agaisnt Minnesota is laughable. Straight up laughable. And these arent even great teams. Just good teams. Hell, Ohio St was "slowed" by the juggernauts Penn St and Va Tech, but proceeded to light up Wisconsin, Alabama, and Oregon. Name me the last good team that our offense had a great game against a great opponent. Not necessarily a complete game, cuz that term is kinda weird to me. But just a great game overall.

You can thank TA for that, not Beck