honestly, the ability to stockpile talent. I mean, i think meyer's offenses are clean and crisp and refined, but it helps when a guy like Cardale is your 3rd string QB

Good point.. another way to look at it is would urban meyer have been able to get nebraska to the playoffs in the same amount of time and personnel that he had at ohio state?? No way, i don't see that happening with Meyer or any other coach.. Their third string quarterback is better than our 1st string... and so on.

Honestly, I think solich had it all except the recruiting. At least he was the closest.

Honestly, he didn't. He's 48-32 in MAC games where he's not at all at a recruiting disadvantage. If he was anything remotely like Meyer and Saban he would rule the MAC. Good coach, but to say that is absurd.

Take it as more of an indictment of Callahan and Pelini than anything else.

Well, I don't think it's knowledge. I think they just "get it."

Being at the helm of Ohio State and Florida doesn't hurt, obviously. But even still few succeed. They know how to build their program, and manage it. They aren't alone in the coaching ranks, but they're on top of the world right now.

Recruiting the big uglies in the trenches. Obviously somewhat of an oversimplification, but I truly believe an elite OL and DL can almost win you a title alone. Then just add a QB that doesn't turn it over, and fill the rest of the spots in.

You know...i kind of agree

I agree with this as well. A great OL gives your QB precious time, opens up holes for your RB, and neutralizes great defensive players on your opponent. So, they take good QB's and RB's and make them look great. And make great DL opponents look ordinary. We've used this recipe for success in the past and we have to get back to it.

• Fire 1

Recruiting the big uglies in the trenches. Obviously somewhat of an oversimplification, but I truly believe an elite OL and DL can almost win you a title alone. Then just add a QB that doesn't turn it over, and fill the rest of the spots in.

You know...i kind of agree

I agree with this as well. A great OL gives your QB precious time, opens up holes for your RB, and neutralizes great defensive players on your opponent. So, they take good QB's and RB's and make them look great. And make great DL opponents look ordinary. We've used this recipe for success in the past and we have to get back to it.

At that same time, in order to pull that off, you must have exceptional line coaches (which they do, IMIO).

+10000 a good offense starts with a great O-line.....PERIOD... I wish we celebrated OL guys as much as QB, RB and WR

Sabin and Meyer are great coaches, great motivators, and great recruiters. This is not debatable. But, with that said it is always going to be easier to recruit great talent to Alabama and OSU than it is to Nebraska.

If you don't believe that than you aren't facing the facts. OSU has 3 great QB that could have played this year. Two of those guys are from the state of Ohio, they grew up wanting to play at OSU. Where do you think Joey Bosa is from? When you can pull a dozen 4-5 star recruits every year from your home state and combine that with a great coach it is just that much easier to do it. When was the last time the state of Nebraska produced 2 QB of that caliber within 4 years of each other? When was the last time the state of Nebraska produced a D-End that comes in as a true freshman and dominates like Bosa did last year? How about never.

The same goes for Alabama.

Alabama, OSU, Georgia, Florida, FSU, USC, Texas etc always have talent and always will. When they have a great coach also then things happen.

• Fire 1

I believe they all have a high football IQ.

The difference is that urban and saban and TO know the psychology of the game.

That's all the way from recruitment to off season to practice to game day.

+1 - these guys are CEOs not position coaches that Bo, Frank and BC were. They see the game from a much higher level.

• Fire 1