Honestly, I think solich had it all except the recruiting. At least he was the closest.

Solich was the closest, what doomed him was the fact he didn't recruit very good especially at running back (based on how the group as a whole played). when your offensive game plan is Crouch left, Crouch right, if you stop Crouch you win. It would be very difficult to run the triple option without a stable of excellent running backs. TO seamed to always have one (or more) step up every year.

Doubtful, but you would have had an idea of when it might happen I guess.

Meyer did not expect to win this year, he felt next year would be the year they would win. Ahead of schedule.

My guess is we are at least 4 years from a playoff possibility if Coach Riley can recruit as well as I think he can.

We are way down the list on talent, were not beating Ohio State anytime soon, including CCGs.

Depth is our problem, and it looks like very one else in the conference. Ohio State got better every game and they lose very little next year I am told. He will recruit to fill the holes. Him going there made our move to the Big 10 a lot tougher. But with our past recruiting, we would be having the same problems in the Big 12.

25-28th ranked classes every year, ranked at the end of the season about the same as the class. A lot of work ahead of Nebraska.

Would the Huskers have been the winner in the Championship game last night if we had hired Urban Meyer a few years ago instead of Ohio State?

That was 11 years ago, so i dont know. Hard to know if he'd still even be here. He's had 4 different jobs in that time (if you count the year ESPN color gig). I dont know. I would like to think so. But remember, at that time, he wasnt the househould, immediate recruiting impact, name he is today. So I really dont know. One cant question his prowess or genius, but you just never know if you change the dynamic of basically his whole big league career by going back before his success at Florida. This woulda been a much tougher rebuild in 2004 than anything he's walked into since.

What qualities or performance traits do Urban Meyer and Nick Saban have that Solich, Callahan, and Pelini don't have? What makes the difference?

High football IQ. Incredibly good coordinators. Bama has 73% and Ohio has 68% blue chip recruits (4 and 5 star). Urban says the game is played in 4-6 seconds of relentless effort, regroup and repeat. Both also play and coach a complete 4 quarters of technique and fundamentally sound football. Limit mistakes and have a well designed system. As evidenced by Urban having a 3rd string qb step in and win. I can't even imagine how bad we'd look playing a 3rd string qb against the likes of a Bama or OSU.

Those two guys are in the league with TO. Look at his qualities and both possess many of them......

Nebraska did do a similar thing back in the '94 NC run. To be honest none of us have seen or know how Stanton or Fyfe would do if they got thrown in.

541366251d06a.preview-699.jpg?resize=620

What qualities or performance traits do Urban Meyer and Nick Saban have that Solich, Callahan, and Pelini don't have? What makes the difference?

High football IQ. Incredibly good coordinators. Bama has 73% and Ohio has 68% blue chip recruits (4 and 5 star). Urban says the game is played in 4-6 seconds of relentless effort, regroup and repeat. Both also play and coach a complete 4 quarters of technique and fundamentally sound football. Limit mistakes and have a well designed system. As evidenced by Urban having a 3rd string qb step in and win. I can't even imagine how bad we'd look playing a 3rd string qb against the likes of a Bama or OSU.

Those two guys are in the league with TO. Look at his qualities and both possess many of them......

Nebraska did do a similar thing back in the '94 NC run. To be honest none of us have seen or know how Stanton or Fyfe would do if they got thrown in.

541366251d06a.preview-699.jpg?resize=620

I'll agree with what Berringer did as a 2nd stringer, though at times even under him it was obvious the offense just wasnt quite as good. And Turman? That's not even a close comparison in performance to what happened in Columbus.

The thing with JT Barrett and Cardale Jones is, that when Braxton went down, everyone thought Ohio St was done. Then a few games in, we're like "hey, this Barrett guy actually appears to be a much better quarterback than Miller". Then when Barrett when down, we's all like "meh, Wisconsin might beat Ohio St now, with a third string qb". And now 3 games later, conference title route, and a national title, it's a pretty compelling arguement that the 3rd string guy is the better qb of all 3. While the circumstances were somewhat similar to '94 Nebraska, it was still very much different. JT Barrett didnt make it back, and Braxton didnt return against Oregon to seal the deal. Once the guys went down, they had to ride the next one until the end.

Sabin and Meyer are great coaches, great motivators, and great recruiters. This is not debatable. But, with that said it is always going to be easier to recruit great talent to Alabama and OSU than it is to Nebraska.

If you don't believe that than you aren't facing the facts. OSU has 3 great QB that could have played this year. Two of those guys are from the state of Ohio, they grew up wanting to play at OSU. Where do you think Joey Bosa is from? When you can pull a dozen 4-5 star recruits every year from your home state and combine that with a great coach it is just that much easier to do it. When was the last time the state of Nebraska produced 2 QB of that caliber within 4 years of each other? When was the last time the state of Nebraska produced a D-End that comes in as a true freshman and dominates like Bosa did last year? How about never.

The same goes for Alabama.

Alabama, OSU, Georgia, Florida, FSU, USC, Texas etc always have talent and always will. When they have a great coach also then things happen.

Joey Bosa is from Florida.

It isn't easy to find a great coach, just ask Georgia, Texas, and USC.

As for the topic, I think all this has an element of luck.

Doubtful, but you would have had an idea of when it might happen I guess.

Meyer did not expect to win this year, he felt next year would be the year they would win. Ahead of schedule.

My guess is we are at least 4 years from a playoff possibility if Coach Riley can recruit as well as I think he can.

We are way down the list on talent, were not beating Ohio State anytime soon, including CCGs.

Depth is our problem, and it looks like very one else in the conference. Ohio State got better every game and they lose very little next year I am told. He will recruit to fill the holes. Him going there made our move to the Big 10 a lot tougher. But with our past recruiting, we would be having the same problems in the Big 12.

25-28th ranked classes every year, ranked at the end of the season about the same as the class. A lot of work ahead of Nebraska.

Oh come on. They're not invincible. They may have the more talented team for years to come but the better team doesn't always win.

I believe they all have a high football IQ.

The difference is that urban and saban and TO know the psychology of the game.

That's all the way from recruitment to off season to practice to game day.

+1 - these guys are CEOs not position coaches that Bo, Frank and BC were. They see the game from a much higher level.

More than anything, I think this is it. They see the big picture, or maybe more correctly, the right big picture. They know how to prioritize different parts of their programs and fit everything together into something that works. You can't do that, unless you see and understand what works to begin with. When the coach has confidence and a plan, and a record of success, it's easy to sell others (recruits, assistants) on it.

Osborne was most successful when he was most experienced. I think what we saw in the mid-90s was Osborne fully seeing the big picture and knowing what exact pieces it took to win big, and then the ability to sell that vision to his assistants, players and recruits.

Meyer isn't near the coach that Saban is. LSU didn't have a lot going on when Saban took over. He won a NC there. Bama' was going through not only significant coaching turnover but dealing with severe sanctions as well when Saban took over. He's won NC's there. The only thing Meyer is better at is spotting a golden opportunity. Zook stockpiled talent at Florida before Meyer took over. Meyer passed on his dream job of Notre Dumb because he spotted a better opportunity. It's the same way with Ohio State which goes all the way back to what Tressel had going there. Ohio State was loaded with talent in a not so tough conference much like Florida was when he went there.

Take a look at what Saban left at LSU, and then take a look at the mess Meyer left at Florida. Meyer didn't leave Florida in better shape than when he started there. Saban did leave LSU in better shape than when he started there. The real question going forward is what kind of shape will Urban Meyer leave Ohio State in when he departs?

Sabin and Meyer are great coaches, great motivators, and great recruiters. This is not debatable. But, with that said it is always going to be easier to recruit great talent to Alabama and OSU than it is to Nebraska.

If you don't believe that than you aren't facing the facts. OSU has 3 great QB that could have played this year. Two of those guys are from the state of Ohio, they grew up wanting to play at OSU. Where do you think Joey Bosa is from? When you can pull a dozen 4-5 star recruits every year from your home state and combine that with a great coach it is just that much easier to do it. When was the last time the state of Nebraska produced 2 QB of that caliber within 4 years of each other? When was the last time the state of Nebraska produced a D-End that comes in as a true freshman and dominates like Bosa did last year? How about never.

The same goes for Alabama.

Alabama, OSU, Georgia, Florida, FSU, USC, Texas etc always have talent and always will. When they have a great coach also then things happen.

Joey Bosa is from Florida.

It isn't easy to find a great coach, just ask Georgia, Texas, and USC.

As for the topic, I think all this has an element of luck.

Didn't really know were he was from. Took a shot that he was. Yes you are right it isn't easy to find a great coach and there is definitely an element of luck involved. I think that is what most don't understand. TO was a great coach, but it took him a long time to be considered a great coach by most Nebraska fans.