Who's Leaving?

Mavric

He earned a scholarship last year.

It's not too much to ask that he earn it again this year. He would probably have more going in his favor if he had been a scholarship recruit rather than a walk-on, but that's how it goes.

Was it Patrick Witt or Cody Green's fault that Bo Pelini decided to change his offense and (in the latter's case) fire Shawn Watson? They fell behind in the new system and had no choice but to look elsewhere. This happens to plenty of players every year. Transfers and departures are inevitable.

cody and Patrick weren't from Nebraska, so they don't count. They also didn't start their careers as walkons, so their scholarships didn't mean as much to them.

Right?

Why are you guys losing your sh#t? You realize walk-ons are very regularly awarded a scholarship for 1 year when the football team can afford it, and then it's taken away for a recruit the next year, right? This happened under Bo too...

Are you sure? I don't recall it happening under Bo. Or Callahan, Solich, etc. But maybe I just wasn't aware of it.

Actually, I would prefer for that to be the policy: Awarding 1 year schollies to Walk-ons. It would give the staff more flexibility in managing their numbers. I just don't recall this being the case. :dunno

I don't remember it exactly either, but I can't say I've kept track. I also think that's how it should be, but in effect it is how it usually is -- the few scholarships that come available are typically handed out to seniors who have paid their dues over the years. Maybe core special teams players (I'm thinking of one guy in particular whose name escapes me at the moment...) So the end result is it has no effect on recruiting numbers.

He earned a scholarship last year.

It's not too much to ask that he earn it again this year. He would probably have more going in his favor if he had been a scholarship recruit rather than a walk-on, but that's how it goes.

Was it Patrick Witt or Cody Green's fault that Bo Pelini decided to change his offense and (in the latter's case) fire Shawn Watson? They fell behind in the new system and had no choice but to look elsewhere. This happens to plenty of players every year. Transfers and departures are inevitable.

cody and Patrick weren't from Nebraska, so they don't count. They also didn't start their careers as walkons, so their scholarships didn't mean as much to them.

Right?

How can you give a 5th string walk-on QB a scholarship?

Fyfe wasn't recruited so if push comes to shove in finding schollies, the new Big Ten 4-year rule could actually hurt his chances. Also, it appears to me that the rule also won't apply to walk-ons going forward. The NYT article linked earlier in this thread says "recruited athletes."

Fyfe wasn't recruited so if push comes to shove in finding schollies, the new Big Ten 4-year rule could actually hurt his chances. Also, it appears to me that the rule also won't apply to walk-ons going forward. The NYT article linked earlier in this thread says "recruited athletes."

Yeah, I can't wait for Smiling Mike to proffer that to the media. Even Eichorst's propaganda team couldn't spin that turd.

Why do we want to pull Fyfe's schollie but let Stanton keep his? If we're basing this strictly on the performances the fans have seen, then keep Darlington and Armstrong and pull schollies from the rest of the QB's.

If we're talking about what's best for the team, then Fyfe keeps his schloarship. If Riley pulls Fyfe's schollie, we're going right back to a divided fanbase.

Why do we want to pull Fyfe's schollie but let Stanton keep his?

Good question.

Because Stanton was a scholarship recruit whereas Fyfe arrived as a walk-on. Leftover scholarships go to walk-ons as a reward every year depending on availability. If such scholarships are available this year, Fyfe could be a candidate again. But there may be others in line in front of him, such as seniors who have played a lot of snaps (I don't know if there are any).

Stanton may have been encouraged to transfer (or say, focus on medical school). It wasn't long ago that most thought this was a foregone conclusion and I think many people still want this. We are a few scholarships over the limit after all, and it wouldn't be surprising to see two QBs leave so that they can turn over the QB position more quickly. We know they plan to sign two QBs in this next recruiting cycle.

That said, while Stanton has a real case of nerves, he also still has a high ceiling. He throws a strong ball. Maybe a year really behind the scenes, in a new system, will settle him down and get him back on track. As it stands now that seems unlikely and if Stanton sticks around this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave after next Spring (unless his standing improves).

I may be wrong but my memory is almost all of Ryker Fyfe's throws I've seen in live action have been ducks. He did have the nice swing to the flats in the spring game that resulted in a TD, and he is a strong runner with game experience. His consistency throwing the ball is probably at least as much an issue as every QB not named Darlington on the roster. Based on the Spring Game, he didn't really distinguish himself from Tyson Broekemeier -- another junior walk-on QB.