Seattle Becked It

That whole lost sequence of plays just had me going WAT R U DOING GUYS at everyone.

I guess New England did not use their timeouts because...Belichick only wanted to give Seattle 3 more cracks at it, instead of 4, if they chose to run the clock down. Going all-in on the defense.

I still can't believe our fortune. This felt like Seattle's game tonight.

Pete Carroll said he called the play because they had 3 WRs vs goal line defense. (One wonders why they didn't just have a big formation in there...) But, I can kinda see it. Let's say they did go run there, and got stuffed for a loss (it's possible, in that circumstance). Then you have to call the timeout (because Seattle had already chosen to run the clock down to 26 seconds at the snap). Now you're out of timeouts, 20 seconds left, and you only get two throws.

I would've been OK with that I guess, if I were Carroll. As it was it felt like the whole thing played right into NE's hands. I guess they knew what they were doing, even though I was screaming "Call the timeout!"

Worst call in super bowl history. Feel bad for Wilson. Carrol tried to get cute and outsmarted himself. I am still shocked they made that playcall. Of course, any DB was going to gamble/jump the route/take PI whatever to get that ball. The game was over with Lynch able to hammer multiple times and Seattle completely choked.

This was a strange game. Felt like New England controlled it mostly but then Seattle got a huge score before the half and made some plays and were up by 10, even though it felt like New England had been on the field controlling the game. The INT's definitley hurt New England but for the majority of the game they appeared to be the better team. When Seattle could not put them away (and score more than 24), I called it that New England would go ahead and they did. So, I should have just been like, OK Pats are better they deserve this one. But then Seattle gets a miracle catch and now HAS the game in the bag. But they blow it with the worst call in super bowl history.

So the way the game ended (with Pats winning) felt like the right outcome. But how they got the win was a roller coaster of shock. After the miracle catch you are thinking you are going to see a great comeback miracle drive...but instead the miracle is ripped from one team and given to the other. Incredible game but Seattle blew it. I guess from New England side you could say that miracle catch was only reason Seattle even had a chance at the end. It was what a fan like me wanted since I am not a fan of either team (a close game that will be talked about for a long time).

Felt like New England was dominating in the first half, but couldn't get scoreboard. That last Seattle drive that took 30 seconds and ended in a TD, that was rough. A big play by a backup RB to start, then Wilson makes a big run, then a 15-yard penalty, and then a touchdown.

Seattle took a 10-point lead to the 4th quarter and looked like they had flipped the script utterly, and were in control. It was pretty demoralizing, and I wasn't sure if the Patriots had any fire left in their bellies.

I think it all turned on a couple of defensive stops. I can't remember if it was 1 or 2 drives, but they stepped up quickly and got Brady the ball back. Recent past editions of this New England team, including the two that lost in Super Bowls, do not do this. And of course, the defense sealed it in the end. Roller coaster is right!

The young DB for New England should have been the MVP. That kid played one hell of a game. Unsigned, from western Alabama. He had several amazing plays.

I would have liked to have seen Seattle win, but it was a pretty good game. I only got to watch the second half.

• Fire 1

besides Mizzou and Beck, who throws inside the 5 let alone from the 1/2 with the best running back in the league with 30 seconds left..that has to taste damned bad right about now...

As a long time Iowa viewer (dad huge fan), Ferentz.

First thing I said to my wife after that play, "Tim Beck must have called that play."

How many fans across the country do you think said the same thing about their respective OC? I'm not saying that to defend Beck, just to point out how much fans second-guess and critique the OC specifically, especially on Monday mornings.

• Fire 3

The young DB for New England should have been the MVP. That kid played one hell of a game. Unsigned, from western Alabama. He had several amazing plays.

I would have liked to have seen Seattle win, but it was a pretty good game. I only got to watch the second half.

AGREED!

I couldn't believe that Tom Brady gets credit for the game. I couldn't believe he got MVP when Edelman had an excellent game, and that last play. I also think Vinatieri should've been MVP in Brady's first Super Bowl win, considering he made the game winning FG and all. But oh well...

49ers fan here, so anything that makes Seahawks unhappy makes me smile.

But we used to have the most sought-after coach in both college and professional football, and when inside the 10 yard line in the last minute with the Super Bowl on the line and a backfield of Frank Gore and Colin Kaepernick, Jim Harbaugh calls four consecutive passes to the end zone. Niners lose.

NFC Championship game last year. Same situation. Kaepernick throws an interception on first down. Niners lose.

Carroll didn't suddenly get stupid. He has three plays and one timeout. He has seen this same Marshawn Lynch get stuffed 4 out of 5 times in similar plays this season. He plans for one pass and two Lynch runs if needed. No coach plans for an interception, the same way they don't plan for a botched handoff, a fumble or a false start.

I would have given the ball to Lynch in a hurry-up snap with the Patriots on their heels, myself.

It's gonna go down as one of the worst calls in all of sports history, but thrown six inches to the right and it's a touchdown and no one thinks to question the call.

And for all the crap piled on Carroll (which I honestly don't mind) there are tons of coaches who would approve of the planned sequence, because you see it called all season long.

• Fire 1

First thing I said to my wife after that play, "Tim Beck must have called that play."

How many fans across the country do you think said the same thing about their respective OC? I'm not saying that to defend Beck, just to point out how much fans second-guess and critique the OC specifically, especially on Monday mornings.

Agree. Not defending Beck. Big difference in the last O play in the last game of the season (for all the marbles) being questioned than what any of my teams have seen. Ending up 2nd place because you "gave it away" on the last play hurts; not even sniffing the hind-end of of that type of game is much, much worse... Rather lose in the championship than not even make it there, imo...

If I'm gonna be truly honest, comparing Beck to Carroll is more of an insult to Beck, imo...

AGREED!

I couldn't believe that Tom Brady gets credit for the game. I couldn't believe he got MVP when Edelman had an excellent game, and that last play. I also think Vinatieri should've been MVP in Brady's first Super Bowl win, considering he made the game winning FG and all. But oh well...

I remember how that first Super Bowl played out all too well. First year starter Tom Brady, in crunch time, led a drive that John Madden (who was announcing) said gave him "chills". That game at least should have been Brady's.

Edelman played his heart out, as always. So did Gronk, and so did Amendola. Heck, Shane Vereen had 11 catches. It was in many ways a team effort, but at the center of it all was Brady, who made costly mistakes but also carried the offense and directed the comeback. The largest 4th quarter comeback in Super Bowl history.

I think Malcolm Butler should have a game ball. He yielded the big catch at the end, but that was a minor miracle for Seattle. He had one sweet pass breakup earlier in the game, and he made the play to seal the win. However, he was on the field for 18 snaps only, and I can see why the MVP deservedly goes to Brady in this one.