Chatelain: Worst Husker Recruiting Class Ever

Mavric

you seem a bit biased on this Mav..?? all the article is saying is that there was rave reviews about the class of 2000 and after time passed, didn't turn out so well for those guys... why is this bad..??

Mainly I just thought it was interesting. I'm kind of a history buff and when you combine history and Huskers, you have my attention.

But it also contributes to a discussion that comes up from time to time - especially recently. Whether or not coaches that win a lot of games should be fired, have they been given enough time and is the program headed in the right direction. I think it was right to fire Frank - I just don't think he was the right man for the job. Others say he won a lot of games and some even say he was a good recruiter. This seems to indicate otherwise to some extent.

Plus it also provides some context for the last 15 years, depending on what you want to believe. I think it's pretty plausible that Frank did well with Tom's recruits and guys soon after that who came here on his coattails. By the time Frank left, we didn't have much talent to work with. That handicapped Callahan - plus being a terrible fit - but he did have some better talent in here by the time he left. Pelini arguably did the best early on with Callahan's recruits.

• Fire 1

- And what people said about it.

you seem a bit biased on this Mav..?? all the article is saying is that there was rave reviews about the class of 2000 and after time passed, didn't turn out so well for those guys... why is this bad..??

Why is it bad? Because Dirk wrote it. That's all. Some people seem to have a problem with him because he's not "rah-rah Nebraska is the best team ever!" Which, as a reporter, isn't really his job.

It's national recruiting day. We just landed a pretty decent class, #31 in the nation. Sure, it's not a top ten class. But it's better than nearly any other team that went through a coaching change. Instead of finding something good to say about our new recruits our local sportswriter Dirk Chatelain writes that this class could end up like the 2000 class. A class we thought was decent when signed but didn't have any players who went on to win individual awards.

I don't care if it was Santa Clause who wrote that article. I'd still call him a fuckwad. It's NSD. Pour some damn Kool-Aid.

odd...I read the whole article and didn't see him compare this class or even mention it..?? please refresh my memory.. Seems to me this article was simply about recruiting hype that may or may not be there, only time will tell.

panties, meet wad. wad, meet panties....!!!!

Two things:

1) When a journalist posts an article on NSD entitled "The worst Husker recruiting class ever", it's a click bait article. Why would a legitimate sportswriter post an article on National Signing Day about a recruiting class 16 years ago? Wouldn't that article be more appropriate on one of the next 200 offseason days when there's nothing to write about? If is wasn't click-bait, wouldn't it have been more appropriate to entitle it: "The class of 2000--the worst Husker recruiting class ever" ?

2) I wear boxer briefs. Not panties. And yes, my boxer briefs get wadded from time to time. And as I look back at Dirk's article in view of the bolded portion of your post, I see that you are right. Dirk did not "write" that. I will edit my post above accordingly.

funny thing, if you actually read the article, you would know that the title of the story was.. "Mad Chatter: The worst Husker recruiting class ever -- and what people said about it"

Come on Dirk! Let it go!

(Cue the Frozen music)

I know...its always "let it go" with you when it turns on ya... say hello to the panties for me...K!

This is an excellent example of how not to converse on Huskerboard. Next warning is a suspension, and third will be a ban. Thanks.

Mainly I just thought it was interesting. I'm kind of a history buff and when you combine history and Huskers, you have my attention.

But it also contributes to a discussion that comes up from time to time - especially recently. Whether or not coaches that win a lot of games should be fired, have they been given enough time and is the program headed in the right direction. I think it was right to fire Frank - I just don't think he was the right man for the job. Others say he won a lot of games and some even say he was a good recruiter. This seems to indicate otherwise to some extent.

Plus it also provides some context for the last 15 years, depending on what you want to believe. I think it's pretty plausible that Frank did well with Tom's recruits and guys soon after that who came here on his coattails. By the time Frank left, we didn't have much talent to work with. That handicapped Callahan - plus being a terrible fit - but he did have some better talent in here by the time he left. Pelini arguably did the best early on with Callahan's recruits.

I don't disagree with any of this.. my only comment was that some on here was taking this as some sort of shoot at this recruiting class... the article seemed to say that that class was highly touted and didn't seem to turn out to many high profile players.. hence the FULL title..

odd thing to me is, the hatred that some on here show towards this writer or anyone that makes a comment about it.. I correct someone on here for making a connection of this recruiting class to the article and Im some kid of idiot that has his "nose stuck in the authors ass".. and I get a warning.... LOL I don't know this author, nor do I read much of his stuff...just seemed weird to me that people were making statements about the article and when I read it was abundantly clear that they had not..

It's NSD and Chatelain files *this* article? WTF?? What a f'ing jerk. So many positive things to write about. And Chatelain chooses to troll the program. Why does the OWH employ that guy? I don't know of one fan who likes his vitriolic, smarmy trolling style of writing. I feel like I want to punch him in the mouth. But I wouldn't because I'd probly break my hand on those donkey teeth. :facepalm:

Because of exactly what's going on in this thread as we speak. Like the nationwide commercial. These days it doesnt matter why there's attention. Just that there is.

Bingo! Thread closed.

I'm sorry, but I see no reason for posts like this. The past is gone, Frank is gone, BC is gone and the raving lunatic is gone. We need positive in the program, the fan base and this site. This just seems to dull a pretty good day.

Maybe I am taking it totally wrong, but just do not see a reason to drag up crap like this.

It provides good context for the reasons why we are where we are now. The simple fact of the matter is when you really get down to it, we have not had many highlights over the last decade. That recruiting class would be a prime reason why Solich was fired, why we got Callahan and so on. It really underscores how important recruiting is, and the catastrophe that can ensue with badly missing on players.

Suh.

I feel like anything Chatelain associated is trashed by name before it's even looked at. Didn't he write that fantastic article about Ameer and Ron Brown? Also the Big Ten one with all the references to small towns in Ohio and across the landscape? I thought it was him, correct me if I'm wrong. Personally, I like going back in history, Solich was canned because the recruiting was trending downward and there were few difference makers in his classes, some of it bad luck, e.g. Carl Crawford. 7-7 was the affirmation to the whispers. This article explains some of that. I enjoy looking back and I think the article was fair. I won't get too political but it reminds me of people that only watch MSNBC or Fox News because they tell them what they want to hear, not interested in reality. Is the Taylor article going to be held as a grudge for some? I don't want rainbows and unicorns about 'Husker football all the time if it's a falsehood.

I know...its always "let it go" with you when it turns on ya... say hello to the panties for me...K!

My response above to this post of yours was a bit rude. Sorry man. I just don't care for stuff like this from Dirk Chatenlain is all. Over and out.

This is an excellent example of how not to converse on Huskerboard. Next warning is a suspension, and third will be a ban. Thanks.

Would it had been better if he just simply said "don't get your panties in a bunch"?

Would it had been better if he just simply said "don't get your panties in a bunch"?

I always say "don't get your panties in a wad"... just something I say... Zoogs seen it as something a bit different. we discussed it and I have PM'd NUance explaining that I had no ill will. I feel it was a bit knee jerkish, but I understand. done and done..