What exercise did you do today?

NUance

After leaving the service i've gotten a bit lazy. Sadly now my only exercise comes in the form or running around Eagle Raceway and pushing Sprint cars lol. Although right now i'm exercising my resistance of smacking my coworkers around.

I am needing to get back into shape. With my job having a weight room I can use any time, theres no reason for me not to. But I don't know where to start. I know my gut is my biggest problem. What do yall suggest on what I can start with?

How much mobility work are you guys doing? I have lifted for 10 years or so, and have only recently realized how bad my form is. A lot of which dealt with my hips. I've really been working on opening them up: Limber 11, Kelly Starrett, etc. I wouldn't be able to get into the correct position at the bottom of my squat if I hadn't.

No mobility work for me. Though I probably should do some.

I was doing Limber 11 pre workout some time ago, but stopped because it was just wearing me out before my workout. I usually just do a general warm up on an stationary bike, then jump right into movement specific warmups.

For squat, specifically, I take a little more warm up with lighter weight to find the groove and get to depth. Then pile on the weight. My right ankle isn't as mobile, dorsiflexion wise, as my other one but my Olympic shoes with 3/4 heel help that quite a bit.

Speaking of shoes, if you squat a lot I'd highly recommend a proper lifting shoe of some sort. Heel height it up to you, but something with a non compressible sole and straps. Its light years better than squatting in trainers.

Speaking of shoes, if you squat a lot I'd highly recommend a proper lifting shoe of some sort. Heel height it up to you, but something with a non compressible sole and straps. Its light years better than squatting in trainers.

I've heard a lot of guys I trust in the field say the same thing. Any you specifically recommend? I know nothing about these kind of shoes.

45 minute walk over lunch each day. 45 minute cardio, strength and conditioning class on Thursday followed by 15 min ab. Tuesday is 45 min spin class followed by 15 min ab.

MWF I do http://www.mensfitness.com/training/build-muscle/no-plateau-workout with bench on Mon, shoulder press on Fri and alternate squat/deadlift on Wednesdays. Simple programming and works well for levels untrained to advanced.

Training for indoor bike/run/row indoor tri.

I'm in the process of losing fat that I put on while focusing on just gaining strength. I've done it quite a few times over the years and for me it's a simple matter of calories in vs. calories out. Cut back on amount of food, eat more veggies, have a general idea of what foods contain and no fast food. To burn calories, I up the cardio and continue with strength workouts. I've gone from 280 to 245 and will continue on down to 225-230 range. Hopefully I'll do it without too much loss of strength.

I've heard a lot of guys I trust in the field say the same thing. Any you specifically recommend? I know nothing about these kind of shoes.

A lot of lifters use low top Chuck Taylors. Before I got mine I used to squat and deadlift barefoot. Running shoes with thick cushy heels are very bad for those lifts.

I have a buddy that swears by Adidas Powerlift 2.0 shoes. I didn't care for them and got a pair of UA SpeedForm shoes that I love for squats.

I have a pair of Rogue DoWins that I love. I heard they stopped selling them though :(

Lots of folks seem to gravitate towards Adidias AdiPower'ss or NIke Romaleo's

I'd buy them a half size smaller than usual as you want them snug. I bought mine that way and they were tight when I first got them but now they're perfect.

Watch out for shoes labelled as crossfit shoes that look similar. Those have a less compressable sole than a trainer, but it's still compressible. If you're primarily training the squat and deads, you don't want those IMO

Been doing Layne Norton's PHAT for a change up. I was doing 4 to 5 sets with 12 to 6 reps before, my own mashup. Today I benched and noticed a burn from warming up with 135x12, so I decided to go back to 4x12 routine and see where I was. Normally today called for 6x3 for bench focusing on speed. Holy hell did the last reps burn. My chest was on fire after every set. Not a fan of the PHAT hypertrophy stuff for major compound lifts. It really made me lose the endurance I had built up. And I haven't noticed any visible gains.