Just for clarification purposes, nothing more, BYU went 8-5 last season with losses to Utah State, UCF, Nevada, Boise State and Memphis, correct?

I know you guys lost your starting QB, so that hurt ya a lot I'm sure, as it would anybody.

Besides, those are some tough teams there.

5 of their first seven defensive lineman are Polynesians...hard nosed dudes.

There seems to be a lot of Polynesians on the BYU roster. Any reason for this?

A lot of Mormon missions have gone to that part of the world. As a result there are a lot of Mormon Polynesians. That's all I can think of.

There's that, but all the Western schools seems to get a lot of them.

I quite disagree on your assessments of talent levels....

I went over BYU's 22 deep. Please understand. If you think BYU's players are at or below average then you have been fooling yourselves. That program is defiantly about average in the running back spots after loosing a 3000 yard back to red shirt, but the O Line is healthy, large and physically impressive. They did not dominate Texas' #3, #5, #15 #10 and #21 recruiting classes because they can't play.

RECEIVER GROUP

All run 4.5 or better. FYI 40 x's are often misunderstood. Little 4.3 guys in pads are usually slower than big 4.5 guys in pads. Long legged guys take fewer strides to cover more ground. BYU' main outside X and Z group go 200-215 lbs and stand 6-6-1/2, 6'-5-1/2, 6'5, 6'4, 6'3, 6'2 and 6'-1. The hybrid H/Y receivers go from small 5'9 4.4 guys to true Y slots who are 6'5 and 6'4 respectively. The 3rd string Y is 6'1 and a 4.39 guy. BYU has the tallest and one of thd fastest receiver groups in the country. You are kidding yourself if you think these are really just 2 star kids. I spent some time braking them down on film. Fast, tall, great hands. They are at receiver group 3 deep in 4 positions what USC wishes it was.

Linebackers... They were young, did not play well as a unit last year. Too much free lancing, not enough duscipline. But talent was not an issue. The add several newbies this year including a walk on that turned down full rides at Purdue, Houston, aTm and most Texas programs. He has already made the 2 dep as a freshman, runs a 4.5 40, is 6'4-1/2, 227 and tackles like a freight train. He will play behind a 4.55 guy. The first 4 MLB'S are 4.6 or faster, 6'1, 6'-3, 240-245 types, much more disciplined this year. The other to OLB on the Weak side are 6'4-225, Kyle Van Noy type and 6'4-246 (both NFL 4.5 40 types). These guys would play in the B1G, PAC or SEC.

I am not going through every position group. We know Nebraska has quality players in most positions as well. I just think a lot of Nebraska fans are making the mistake if thinking BYU is a little better than Wyoming or Northern Illinois. That is not the case.

They are smart as well. Their SINE is nasty. Two of last year's starters are 2nd string this year they have developed so much more depth. 5 of their first seven defensive lineman are Polynesians...hard nosed dudes.

Again, I predict Nebraska wins. Been saying that all along. But the opponent here is better than most of the rest o DC the teams on Nebraska's schedule, especially on offense. Lincoln is a big benefit. But BYU has won some big games on the road as well. Just say'n.

I've spent 33 season as a FB writer. They are a big time program, not Iowa State or Southern Miss. The star ranking are poof and made for fan fodder and advertising sales. It's not that meaningful in terms of why teams really win. But skating that mythological dragon is impossible. Fans will believe the absolute crap fans want to believe.

So, in your 33 years of football writing experience, if a team loses to FIVE mid-majors in a season, does that qualify them to be "Big Time?"

Yeah. I guess you guys are right. BYU sucks. Nebraska should be winning by 56 at half time. Or Nebraska really sucks too.

Sounds like you got it right. See you in a week.

No, You won't see me in a week unless someone wants me to respond to something, I will leave you guys to marvel at how amazing Nebraska is.

You guys are cry babies. You guys post lots of smack and cry and whine when you get a little back, even if it's clearly just meant as good natured fun. If someone tries to talk reasonably you can't handle the idea that a "mid major" like BYU thinks they have a shot in the game, even when most of the posts I saw from BYU looked like they think it's more than fair to be the underdog in the game. Your fans seem polite if they think everyone in the room is worshiping Nebraska. I'm not buying the polite Nebraska fan shctick.

Sorry guys. Your glory days are over. Every team has an off season conditioning program now. You are a great program who left a better conference to be in weak division of teams nobody cares about and you act like the CFB world. still revolves around you. Enjoy playing in lots of conference championship games. I think Nebraska is still CFB royalty, but you manage to get an even more inflated self view. Nice work.

Good luck and I wish your guys a good season, but your fans are delusional.

5 of their first seven defensive lineman are Polynesians...hard nosed dudes.

There seems to be a lot of Polynesians on the BYU roster. Any reason for this?

When Lavell Edwards was coach he started recruiting Polynesians because it was very difficult to get African Americans to come to BYU back then. It's still hard but getting much easier. Polynesians are very strong, big, and athletic so he began to be one of the first college coaches to recruit them heavily. The LDS church is also very strong in the Polynesian community which makes recruiting them to BYU much easier.

Yeah. I guess you guys are right. BYU sucks. Nebraska should be winning by 56 at half time. Or Nebraska really sucks too.

No, You won't see me in a week unless someone wants me to respond to something, I will leave you guys to marvel at how amazing Nebraska is.

You guys are cry babies. You guys post lots of smack and cry and whine when you get a little back, even if it's clearly just meant as good natured fun. If someone tries to talk reasonably you can't handle the idea that a "mid major" like BYU thinks they have a shot in the game, even when most of the posts I saw from BYU looked like they think it's more than fair to be the underdog in the game. Your fans seem polite if they think everyone in the room is worshiping Nebraska. I'm not buying the polite Nebraska fan shctick.

Sorry guys. Your glory days are over. Every team has an off season conditioning program now. You are a great program who left a better conference to be in weak division of teams nobody cares about and you act like the CFB world. still revolves around you. Enjoy playing in lots of conference championship games. I think Nebraska is still CFB royalty, but you manage to get an even more inflated self view. Nice work.

fWx327.gif
  • Fire 3

I feel like you've been reading some other thread and then posted this based on that other made up thread in your head.

• Fire 1