Osborne Talks Husker Expectations

I'm still trying to determine if Osborne is regarding the high expectations as a bad thing. I know he goes into the dynamics of high expectations but I'm struggling to see if he really means them as a negative to a program. I know he made some comments after Solich was fired as well, but it just seems to me like he's just saying it how it is. I would think that he had the sense to see the obvious points that if he was nearly run off twice because he was coming up just a little short to Oklahoma, even with his stoic and classy behavior, that Bo, with all his massive shortcomings and shenanigans never had a prayer in hell. So I'm not gonna rail on Tom at all. He was asked for some comments and made some. In a way-for once-TheSker's comment above is accurate. Tom of all people is qualified, and has more that earned the right, to say frankly whatever the hell he damned pleases.

My take is he said it's great from the standpoint of the passion and enthusiasm that our fans have and the support the teams gets. But that's it's harder to maintain that level than people realize so it needs to be tempered with some realization that it's not just show up and win.

Well I personally dont wanna see it tempered. Cuz once we lower our expectations from conference titles and competing for National titles to a 9 win program, that's when we go from a 9 win program that we are to a 7 win program. So what are we supposed to do then? Temper them again since expecting 9 wins is too much? It'd be a constant cycle of ridiculousness that results in becoming Iowa. I was real proud of how the admin went about the business of getting rid of Bo from a general standpoint. And i thought that the situation was totally different than that from when Solich was fired after a 9 win season.

• Fire 1

I'm still trying to determine if Osborne is regarding the high expectations as a bad thing. I know he goes into the dynamics of high expectations but I'm struggling to see if he really means them as a negative to a program. I know he made some comments after Solich was fired as well, but it just seems to me like he's just saying it how it is. I would think that he had the sense to see the obvious points that if he was nearly run off twice because he was coming up just a little short to Oklahoma, even with his stoic and classy behavior, that Bo, with all his massive shortcomings and shenanigans never had a prayer in hell. So I'm not gonna rail on Tom at all. He was asked for some comments and made some. In a way-for once-TheSker's comment above is accurate. Tom of all people is qualified, and has more that earned the right, to say frankly whatever the hell he damned pleases.

My take is he said it's great from the standpoint of the passion and enthusiasm that our fans have and the support the teams gets. But that's it's harder to maintain that level than people realize so it needs to be tempered with some realization that it's not just show up and win.

Well I personally dont wanna see it tempered. Cuz once we lower our expectations from conference titles and competing for National titles to a 9 win program, that's when we go from a 9 win program that we are to a 7 win program. So what are we supposed to do then? Temper them again since expecting 9 wins is too much? It'd be a constant cycle of ridiculousness that results in becoming Iowa. I was real proud of how the admin went about the business of getting rid of Bo from a general standpoint. And i thought that the situation was totally different than that from when Solich was fired after a 9 win season.

No, I don't think that's it. It's the difference between expecting to win championships and considering falling short a total failure.

No, I don't think that's it. It's the difference between expecting to win championships and considering falling short a total failure.

Alright.

But how short is too short?

No one will argue that the close losses in the CCG's in 2009 and 2010 were literally Bo's best two seasons overall and that as a fanbase, 2009 especially, are not seen as a total failure. And what's been on the field as of late isnt even close to the caliber of those teams. Those teams were literally a handful of touchdowns from being unbeatin and in the NC conversation. And not two years later, another CCG appearence resulted in a 70-31 beatdown. We have not even what I would call "competed" for championships the last 4 seasons. We havent even been a thought for such a level in eyes of national perception.

Yeah, '09 was an awesome season.

'10 was pretty bummy in a lot of ways, I guess because how things went down that year, even before the Holiday Bowl. It was great at first, but the losses were extremely unpleasant. The Texas game. The A&M game. The Oklahoma game was close, but it cost our OC his job.

And then the Holiday Bowl. It was a weird season of highs and lows. Then 11, 12, 13, 14.

Alright.

But how short is too short?

No one will argue that the close losses in the CCG's in 2009 and 2010 were literally Bo's best two seasons overall and that as a fanbase, 2009 especially, are not seen as a total failure. And what's been on the field as of late isnt even close to the caliber of those teams. Those teams were literally a handful of touchdowns from being unbeatin and in the NC conversation. And not two years later, another CCG appearence resulted in a 70-31 beatdown. We have not even what I would call "competed" for championships the last 4 seasons. We havent even been a thought for such a level in eyes of national perception.

Mavric is correct. There is room between Winning NCs and total failure.

We haven't been competitive in the last 4 years for a conference championship so our coach is gone (along with a few other reasons). That doesn't mean fans can't sit back and realize there were some good things that have happened over the last 7 years and some games that were dang fun to watch and we had two years where we very well could have/should have won conference championships. Bo was the coach that had us there for those years.

He's gone. We have a new staff.

'10 was pretty bummy in a lot of ways, I guess because how things went down that year, even before the Holiday Bowl. It was great at first, but the losses were extremely unpleasant. The Texas game. The A&M game. The Oklahoma game was close, but it cost our OC his job.

And then the Holiday Bowl. It was a weird season of highs and lows. Then 11, 12, 13, 14.

The '10 season was a lot of fun in a lot of ways, too. Just the excitement of being a top 10 team through the first half of the season, running roughshod over Washington, Taylor's Heisman candidacy, Thursday night primetime against Kansas State, kicking the sh#t out of Missouri's best team ever, the Oklahoma State shootout.

That season was only so bummy because of how good it felt and how fun it was at first.

The '10 season was a lot of fun in a lot of ways, too. Just the excitement of being a top 10 team through the first half of the season, running roughshod over Washington, Taylor's Heisman candidacy, Thursday night primetime against Kansas State, kicking the sh#t out of Missouri's best team ever, the Oklahoma State shootout.

That season was only so bummy because of how good it felt and how fun it was at first.

I was at that OSU shootout. Great game and I thought we were then primed to win the CC and an excellent bowl game. But then the let down.

Given that this has become a wedge issue between teams, coaches and fans, I think this is a good place to stand up for the fans.

We were smart enough to recognize the effort and the excitement that went into the 2008, 2009 and 2010 seasons.

And were were smart enough to recognize that not all 9 - 4 seasons are created equal. Big difference between heartbreaking losses and total embarrassments.

2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 confirmed the trend. Nebraska and Minnesota were now college football peers.

I don't hear anyone starting the season with national championship talk anymore. We're measuring ourselves within our division, within our conference.

I think our expectations are reasonable.

And as Osborne might be alluding to -- I'm not sure -- you probably don't want a fanbase that expects less.

• Fire 3

Given that this has become a wedge issue between teams, coaches and fans, I think this is a good place to stand up for the fans.

We were smart enough to recognize the effort and the excitement that went into the 2008, 2009 and 2010 seasons.

And were were smart enough to recognize that not all 9 - 4 seasons are created equal. Big difference between heartbreaking losses and total embarrassments.

2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 confirmed the trend. Nebraska and Minnesota were now college football peers.

I don't hear anyone starting the season with national championship talk anymore. We're measuring ourselves within our division, within our conference.

I think our expectations are reasonable.

And as Osborne might be alluding to -- I'm not sure -- you probably don't want a fanbase that expects less.

You've really been on point with some of your points lately.

Well I think its very obvious what TO is talking about. He thinks its unreasonable to fire coaches so quickly. He talks about his 21 years of coaching before he won the big one. I think TO also understands how much the world of college football has changed since he left the coaching ranks. He understands how money has taken over CFB like most things in the world.

To me winning 9 games a year under Osborne felt a hell of a lot better than winning 9 games a year under Bo.

At least I could root for TO, and I never felt like Osborne got out coached.

i don't think he ever had a team allow 70 points against us either......that f'ing pissed me off and soured me forever on Bo........

I wish he'd stfu. He is as annoying as some of the fans that think 9 wins, while getting your doors blown off twice per year and winning no games of importance, is something special.

TVYQFIFAGKNFYEK.20130809212942.jpg

Amen, brother.

Nine wins will seem pretty special when we're all singing some variant of Joni Mitchell's "Big Yellow Taxi" at some point down the road.