Osborne Talks Husker Expectations

We almost beat Oklahoma?

Yep. Lost in the 2010 Big 12 Champ game 23-20. Had 4 turnovers. 1 in the endzone that I believe was a pick thrown by TM.

Not to mention TM was still in bad shape.

And we were in easy range of the tying field goal, but Watson called three consecutive drop back passes for sacks, and took us out of field goal range.

With all due respect to Osborne, if the pinnacle of Bo's 9 win seasons is almost beating Texas and Oklahoma then Eichorst made a great decision in firing him.

• Fire 4

We almost beat Oklahoma?

Yep. Lost in the 2010 Big 12 Champ game 23-20. Had 4 turnovers. 1 in the endzone that I believe was a pick thrown by TM.

And we were in easy range of the tying field goal, but Watson called three consecutive drop back passes for sacks, and took us out of field goal range.

With all due respect to Osborne, if the pinnacle of Bo's 9 win seasons is almost beating Texas and Oklahoma then Eichorst made a great decision in firing him.

+1

I had forgotten how the 2010 Big 12 championship played out. Thanks, guys.

Those were good years. I mean, relatively good, the Holiday Bowl that year stunk. Somewhere we got from there to settling as third fiddle in the Big Ten West, without a sense that we were really heading up next year, plus the embarrassments.

2009 & 2010 could've been the start of a really special coaching era (results wise), but nope.

We almost beat Oklahoma?

I don't see that anywhere, at least not that bad. http://www.huskermax.com/games/2010/files/13oklahoma_gamestats.htm

With the score tied 20-20 we got to the 33 on a first down run but fumbled on 2nd down somehow (play-by-play doesn't say how).

Later down 20-23 we got to the 39 on 3 Burkhead carries for 17 yards, but on 2nd down Burkhead threw an inc to Martinez (probably not a dropback from Rex) and on 3rd down TMart got sacked back to midfield. Henery was good but the 39 is not easy range, would've been his 2nd longest ever I believe. The sentiment was probably to run Rex 2 more times and worst case get inside the 35 for a more makeable FG but we're in a much better position to win or tie if we get a 1st down, not to mention we could use more clock so that OU had less time to come back to retake the lead.

I don't want to relive the whole game and choices but this is like the thread recently started that we remember the worst of our OCs, even things that didn't actually happen quite the way some think they did.

We almost beat Oklahoma?

#BOOM

Love T.O., tons of respect for that man but he was wrong about Bo Pelini, period.

I think Bo hurt this program more than any coach in the history of this University. He did it far more off the field than he did on, but the way he acted and the results both on or off the field at times, were hugely disappointing.

Seven years is plenty of time to see what you've got in a coach. We saw the best Bo Pelini could do. Maybe it would have been good enough if it weren't for all the other garbage he always seemed to be surrounded with. It seemed like a never ending drama with that man.

Like you said, great call by Eichorst. Not a doubt Bo needed to exit.

Fifteen years since winning a conference championship. That drought has got to end soon. It's time this program find its way back amongst the elite.

• Fire 3

With the score tied 20-20 we got to the 33 on a first down run but fumbled on 2nd down somehow (play-by-play doesn't say how).

Later down 20-23 we got to the 39 on 3 Burkhead carries for 17 yards, but on 2nd down Burkhead threw an inc to Martinez (probably not a dropback from Rex) and on 3rd down TMart got sacked back to midfield. Henery was good but the 39 is not easy range, would've been his 2nd longest ever I believe.

All of that is legitimate, except that Alex was the most on he had ever been that night. He made a 52 yarder earlier in the game, and it almost cleared the uprights. Think about that for a second... literally the gnarliest kick I have ever seen. It would have been good from 70+

We may end up finding out that Osborne is uniquely qualified to say what he said..........

Thanks for helping to keep my neck limber. Everytime I read one of your posts, I end up shaking my head side to side. Every once in awhile a vertebrae will pop and it feels magnificent. So, thanks for that.

• Fire 3

Nine wins are great until you examine who they were against. Over the last few years, Nebraska successfully beat up on some bad teams and got walloped by anybody worth their salt.

Blowing out Purdue is fun, getting manhandled by Wisconsin, UCLA, Ohio State, etc. isn't. The way we lost some of those games, by not belonging on the field with the top teams, coupled with Bo's relationship with the AD and his overall attitude are why he was fired. Nobody cares about 9 wins if they're coming against Purdue, Northwestern, Illinois and Iowa. Getting blown out on national TV, over and over, overshadowed those victories.

• Fire 5

Nine wins are great until you examine who they were against. Over the last few years, Nebraska successfully beat up on some bad teams and got walloped by anybody worth their salt.

Blowing out Purdue is fun, getting manhandled by Wisconsin, UCLA, Ohio State, etc. isn't. The way we lost some of those games, by not belonging on the field with the top teams, coupled with Bo's relationship with the AD and his overall attitude are why he was fired. Nobody cares about 9 wins if they're coming against Purdue, Northwestern, Illinois and Iowa. Getting blown out on national TV, over and over, overshadowed those victories.

Even Iowa spanked us in 2013

Even Iowa spanked us in 2013

agree, who you play and beat defines who you are.........period. the rest is bullsh#t, feel good numbers.

I'm still trying to determine if Osborne is regarding the high expectations as a bad thing. I know he goes into the dynamics of high expectations but I'm struggling to see if he really means them as a negative to a program. I know he made some comments after Solich was fired as well, but it just seems to me like he's just saying it how it is. I would think that he had the sense to see the obvious points that if he was nearly run off twice because he was coming up just a little short to Oklahoma, even with his stoic and classy behavior, that Bo, with all his massive shortcomings and shenanigans never had a prayer in hell. So I'm not gonna rail on Tom at all. He was asked for some comments and made some. In a way-for once-TheSker's comment above is accurate. Tom of all people is qualified, and has more that earned the right, to say frankly whatever the hell he damned pleases.

• Fire 1

I'm still trying to determine if Osborne is regarding the high expectations as a bad thing. I know he goes into the dynamics of high expectations but I'm struggling to see if he really means them as a negative to a program. I know he made some comments after Solich was fired as well, but it just seems to me like he's just saying it how it is. I would think that he had the sense to see the obvious points that if he was nearly run off twice because he was coming up just a little short to Oklahoma, even with his stoic and classy behavior, that Bo, with all his massive shortcomings and shenanigans never had a prayer in hell. So I'm not gonna rail on Tom at all. He was asked for some comments and made some. In a way-for once-TheSker's comment above is accurate. Tom of all people is qualified, and has more that earned the right, to say frankly whatever the hell he damned pleases.

My take is he said it's great from the standpoint of the passion and enthusiasm that our fans have and the support the teams gets. But that's it's harder to maintain that level than people realize so it needs to be tempered with some realization that it's not just show up and win.