Huge Feature on Riley in the OWH

Mike Riley’s favorite piece of his hometown is a two-lane ribbon that curls through evergreens and mossy oaks, splitting creeks and rolling over speed bumps.

There’s a little bit of everything on Brooklane Drive: century-old farmhouses and brand-new acreages; a cemetery and an old turkey farm; a shop for eco-friendly cars and an organic apple orchard (winter hours Saturday and Sunday 10 to 3).

This was Riley’s mile-and-a-half road to work, from his two-story home on the town’s south edge to the double-deck stadium on campus.

It’s a road Riley preferred to navigate with his 13-year-old bicycle.

He bought it when he was a New Orleans Saints assistant coach. Sunday mornings, he rode from his apartment to the Superdome and parked the bike in the custodian’s room. After the game, he beat the traffic home.

This was done by Dirk, are you sure you want to say this is a well written piece?

Dirks a great writer and tells a great story,
I agree. But you will probably find a lot of dissenting opinions on that here.

I think, that right now, it will all be positive posts about Dirk...for now. Because he just wrote this very nice article about MR

You know how it goes...everything will be great...until there is a loss. Then Dirk writes something about how MR was outcoached and BAM...everyone hates Dirk

Wow. Great piece of writing.

I'm really rooting for this coach. Not really anything to dislike about him. Honest, down to earth, seems like a really good person. I hope it all goes the way he plans.

As far as leaving Oregon, that had to be tough. I lived in Oregon when I was a teenager. It was the most beautiful place I've ever been and one of the most peaceful times of my life. Amazing to say that really with all the turmoil that was going on in my family life at the time, but there was forest and trees, a crystal clear river flowing through gray stone mountain side all within about 45 minutes of my house. An hour and a half or so the other direction and I could hit the beach. Something about that heavy fog, the dense mist, and even the pouring rain hitting those giant tree tops around me in those mountains, it was my heaven. I never wanted to leave it, but I didn't have a choice when the time came.

Hopefully Nebraska is truly "the good life" for these coaches and their families. Of course, winning football games seems to make everything a little bit better around here.

• Fire 3

This was done by Dirk, are you sure you want to say this is a well written piece?

Whether you like Dirk or not, a well written piece is a well written piece. He did a great job of illustrating Riley's life to where he is now. He gives insight from people in his life and his research shows. For that I respect. Does it mean things will be peachy going forward? Time will tell.

I think everyone agrees the guy can write, he just chooses to stir the pot for the sake of stirring the pot too often.
  • Fire 1

I think everyone agrees the guy can write, he just chooses to stir the pot for the sake of stirring the pot too often.
Dirk's best articles is when he isn't really writing about football, like this one. The prime example of a "dirk" article is after the UW loss in 2011 when he said Bo should bench Martinez because he didn't recruit any other backup QB's that could beat him, or something.