The problem with this country is ... (fill in the blank)

Okay, I'll start:

...poor foresight by our political leaders. It seems like we get ourselves roped into one war after another, and end up footing the bill for fights that we should not even be in. Damn politicians!

Money in politics.

By this I mean the gargantuan (and now anonymous) sums of money can be spent on electing candidates; those candidates will statistically speaking almost never have to worry about losing their seat again; and should they miraculously lose their seat, the revolving door policy in Washington is well documented. You will be taken care of. Note: anyone who is not already exorbitantly wealthy need not apply.

When you consider that the same cabal of donors that can direct unlimited sums of money towards elections can also purchase unchecked influence in the media, the problem gets worse.

And when you consider the gridlock that can be imposed on the entire system by one radical, obstructionist wing of one party––to the point where we are either having or talking about government shutdowns on a regular basis––the problem becomes terrifying. We the People don't get a pass for this. I didn't vote in the midterms (I should have, and regret the choice, though it would have made no difference in my state). But the narrative of a disengaged, powerless electorate, while a self-fulfilling prophecy in one sense, is difficult to overcome when the system itself is so corrupt and unworthy of our hopes and dreams. It alters our entire thought process about citizenship. Instead of talking about introducing a more fluid democratic system that harnesses the power of the internet, for example, we are stuck with an endless stream of media-fed narratives that prey on baseless fears (like voter fraud being the real problem rather than our access to our representatives or polling places).

• Fire 3

Everybody blames the elected officials for everything:

Obama is killing the rain forest...

Bush is killing the whales...

Clinton is killing personal liberties...

Bush is killing babies...

Reagan is killing society....

BUT

Nobody wants to enact change at the level in which they control....self.

• Fire 2

Everybody blames the elected officials for everything:

Obama is killing the rain forest...

Bush is killing the whales...

Clinton is killing personal liberties...

Bush is killing babies...

Reagan is killing society....

BUT

Nobody wants to enact change at the level in which they control....self.

giphy.gif

I can understand that one. It's not like anyone is being stopped from celebrating Christmas, but for the mass public, it's an entire holiday season with a variety of different holidays going on at the same time. Plus New Years. Christmas stuff is everywhere, but representing that as *just* Christmas season maybe doesn't reflect the diversity we have here.

I agree with money in politics. I think we have a pretty good, pretty stable setup overall. And part of the trade off is stability for efficiency. Feels like there has to be a better way to make sure we are having the right kinds of people become politicians.

I can understand that one. It's not like anyone is being stopped from celebrating Christmas, but for the mass public, it's an entire holiday season with a variety of different holidays going on at the same time. Plus New Years. Christmas stuff is everywhere, but representing that as *just* Christmas season maybe doesn't reflect the diversity we have here.

I agree with money in politics. I think we have a pretty good, pretty stable setup overall. And part of the trade off is stability for efficiency. Feels like there has to be a better way to make sure we are having the right kinds of people become politicians.

I have no problem telling people who wish me a happy Chanukah and responding merry christmas. I would never take offense to someone saying merry whatever holiday they have, while others are just whiny and assume they are trying to convert them. I just find it to be a bunch of BS.