Bo - the gang is all here - his coaching staff - note his cap

Good, smart defensive coach, bad HC and manager. So just keep him as a defensive wiz. I think teams will be willing to do that. Plenty of teams deal with hotheads or bad eggs. I'm very glad we don't anymore, 9, 10 wins or not...but some team out there will look at his years as a DC, and his record as a major FBS head coach, and say why not.

Can we put the "Bo is a defensive genius" to bed please?

bo-sucks-at-defense.jpg

This pretty much covers it.

7 of the top 10 worst are on Bo.

He is NOT a defensive genius, or at least he wasn't while he was coaching for us.

Defensive genius' adapt, adjust, and change what they're doing to stop the other team from prison raping their defense. Wisconsin didn't even give Bo a reach around.

And I am saddened that apparently somebody thinks 33-24 against teams with signs of a heartbeat is worthy of Nebraska football. It isn't.

• Fire 3

That's a damn fine staff. Especially considering they make about 80% less than they would at a top 20 FBS program. Ron Stoops. Carl Pelini. Ron Brown. Those guys are superstars at a place like Youngstown.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Bo take a real job in a year or two. And let Carl or Ron Stoops take over. Or even Ron Brown. If he does, it will save NU a bunch of buyout money. (I know. I know. Bo is doing this to take a break. For family reasons. But it still wouldn't surprise me.)

Agree

Not until you figure in how many top 25 teams the other coaches faced, W-L records of teams faced, and offensive rankings of teams faced. Comparing the last three times Osborne faced Kansas against the last three times Pelini faced Wisconsin isn't exactly a level playing field now, is it?

That being said, Bo's defense couldn't seem to contain a power running game or a roll out quarterback.

Best defensive genius Nebraska has had so far is Mike Riley. His Nebraska teams have never given up a single yard, a single point, or allowed a single pass completion. (See how that works if we don't put things into context?)

Not until you figure in how many top 25 teams the other coaches faced, W-L records of teams faced, and offensive rankings of teams faced. Comparing the last three times Osborne faced Kansas against the last three times Pelini faced Wisconsin isn't exactly a level playing field now, is it?

That being said, Bo's defense couldn't seem to contain a power running game or a roll out quarterback.

Best defensive genius Nebraska has had so far is Mike Riley. His Nebraska teams have never given up a single yard, a single point, or allowed a single pass completion. (See how that works if we don't put things into context?)

Dirk compared Bo to Cosgrove when each played top 25 offenses.

Pelini played 10 top-25 offenses since joining the B1G 2011-14. His defensive averages? 37.3 points, 508.1 yards. FYI - this does NOT include the 2012 Wisconsin Massacre with 70 points and 640 yards allowed. It does include an Aaron Murray-less Georgia in the 2013 Gator Bowl (19 points/416 yards) and a 1st time taking the field Gus Malzahn led Arkansas St (6 points/286 yards).

Cosgrove played 13 top-25 offenses between 2004-07. His defensive averages? 38.7 points, 484 yards.

• Fire 4

Pelini played 10 top-25 offenses since joining the B1G 2011-14. His defensive averages? 37.3 points, 508.1 yards. FYI - this does NOT include the 2012 Wisconsin Massacre with 70 points and 640 yards allowed. It does include an Aaron Murray-less Georgia in the 2013 Gator Bowl (19 points/416 yards) and a 1st time taking the field Gus Malzahn led Arkansas St (6 points/286 yards).

Cosgrove played 13 top-25 offenses between 2004-07. His defensive averages? 38.7 points, 484 yards.

So Bo is 1.4 points better and 44.1 yards worse then Cosgrove. But Cosgrove played more top 25 offenses.

I find it amazing that so many think Bo will get a better gig in the near future and that he is too talented, too good of a coach for the likes of YSU. I. DON'T. GET. IT. What did he do here to make anyone think these thoughts? 9 wins? Spare me the justification, he lost virtually any/all games that mattered or that weren't against the little sisters of the blind. Good coach my a$$. Hot headed, foul mouthed, unwilling to change POS is what he was. YSU seems about right to me.

I agree. Bo set several records for defensive futility. And Cosgrove made that a tough task. I wouldn't hire Bo if he was the nicest guy in the country.

Good, smart defensive coach, bad HC and manager. So just keep him as a defensive wiz. I think teams will be willing to do that. Plenty of teams deal with hotheads or bad eggs. I'm very glad we don't anymore, 9, 10 wins or not...but some team out there will look at his years as a DC, and his record as a major FBS head coach, and say why not.

bo-sucks-at-defense.jpg

Wow. Those two Wisconsin games stand out like a sore thumb. All the rest are gradual increments higher than the previous game. Then, BOOM, a huge difference in yd/play for those two games. :facepalm:

Ouch a whole seasons worth of loses.

Cosgrove = Defensive Guru?

Said nobody, ever. :lol:

• Fire 1

Numbers never lie

• Fire 1

Numbers never lie

Statisticians. Damn liars. You know the drill.

Then again, Cosgrove is in the Wisconsin Football Hall of Fame. So there's that.