Hittin' the links: Golf talk

Flying to Miami this weekend and was going to take my clubs. I need a travel bag, but all I've been able to find on short notice and a reasonable price is a soft travel bag. Anybody have experience with them, or have any recommendations?

I used to have a soft canvas travel bag. Never had any problems with it. But I'd wrap my club heads with towels to (hopefully) avoid them getting dinged up. I ended up giving my canvas travel bag away when I got a hardside bag. I also have a "mini" hard travel bag. It's just big enough for a set of clubs--you can't carry the golf bag itself along. It looks about like a case for carrying a rifle in. I get a lot of sideways looks when I'm walking through the airport with the thing strapped to my back. :lol:

• Fire 1

Flying to Miami this weekend and was going to take my clubs. I need a travel bag, but all I've been able to find on short notice and a reasonable price is a soft travel bag. Anybody have experience with them, or have any recommendations?

And if you don't think it's going to be a long term need, I know there are places that will rent them to you fairly reasonably

• Fire 1

I have a hard sided one that I travel with, sometimes I wish I had bought a soft one.

The more I think about this, it only costs $10 or $12 to mail golf clubs by Priority Mail. And you could pack a soft-side bag in your luggage. I guess it's a bit late to do this now though.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a hard sided one that I travel with, sometimes I wish I had bought a soft one.

The more I think about this, it only costs $10 or $12 to mail golf clubs by Priority Mail. And you could pack a soft-side bag in your luggage. I guess it's a bit late to do this now though.

I flew Southwest so I could check two bags free. I got a soft cover and wrapped my drive in a towel. Worked just fine. Although the tee time was rained out...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I injured my back several weeks ago. Hadn't swung a club in all that time. Last week I signed up for a scramble that was played on Saturday. Not having played in over a month, I figured I should play a few holes on Friday afternoon. First hole is a 295 yd par four up over a hill that peaks at about 200 yards out. I got it over the hill, got a good roll, and ended up 25 yards from the hole in the middle of the fairway. 270 yard drive. Probly one of my best two or three drives on that hole for the entire year. (My game got worse after that first drive. lol)

Funny thing, but after several weeks off the thing that hurt my score the most? Putting. It was like I was starting back at ground zero. No touch whatsoever for distance. :lol:

• Fire 1

Well now that golf season is winding down here in NE guess its time to start looking at club sales to try and upgrade the sticks for next year. What is everyone looking at over the winter?

Call me Clark W Griswold, but IF I do get a holiday bonus, I'm going to upgrade my sticks. I've been very happy with my Cobras for the last 7 or 8 years, so that's probably what I'll get this round.

If you do get new clubs, get them fitted for you. I'm 6 feet talk, but I have LONG arms, so my clubs are actually shorter than a 'normal' six footer.

Well now that golf season is winding down here in NE guess its time to start looking at club sales to try and upgrade the sticks for next year. What is everyone looking at over the winter?

Call me Clark W Griswold, but IF I do get a holiday bonus, I'm going to upgrade my sticks. I've been very happy with my Cobras for the last 7 or 8 years, so that's probably what I'll get this round.

If you do get new clubs, get them fitted for you. I'm 6 feet talk, but I have LONG arms, so my clubs are actually shorter than a 'normal' six footer.

If you're gonna get them fitted for your height you just as well go the rest of the way and get them fitted for your swing too. Its a huge difference maker!

If you're gonna get them fitted for your height you just as well go the rest of the way and get them fitted for your swing too. Its a huge difference maker!

Where can one do that?