McKeon: Be prepared for a diminished run game

Interesting comment from McKeon in his OWH piece today regarding our running game (http://m.omaha.com/huskers/mckewon-depth-on-both-lines-a-luxury-for-husker-coach/article_1e8d3fb4-fa66-50f0-a52f-58f7bb745326.html?mode=jqm)

Essentially, he states don't expect NU to sustain the excellence in has had in recent history in rushing, and says we should expect about 50 yards less a game, on average. McKeon compares our run game to that of Texas' QB play with Vince Young and Colt McCoy -- and UT's expectancy that such excellence in QB play would continue indefinitely. While I don't agree, but he does make a convincing and interesting argument.

(I think I complied with the OWH copyright restrictions. If not, please delete).

Ameer is gone. The offensive line is a huge question mark and lost several key starters. He's not really saying anything groundbreaking there. The new coaching staff doesn't have a strong run offensive identity history wise either. Even if the old staff was still here the run game was going to be diminished no matter what.

I agree we probably don't have a guy as talented as Helu, Burkhead, or Abdullah on the roster, but you don't necessarily need one to have a formidable ground game. You can do it by committee.

That's where his UT QB comparison misses the mark. You can't really do that at QB.

• Fire 1

Expect the ground yards to drop 50 yards a game? What a revelation since whoever we plug in at running back will be starting for the very first time.

We should expect an increase in passing yet have no clue who starts at QB either. Can't we just admit none of us know jack yet, that includes the beat writers.

• Fire 1

Depends on how much option game is kept in the playbook. If we scrap it altogether then I would expect a decrease in rushing yards this year. I don't think we are good enough up front to lineup and take control of the Line of scrimmage. Scheme alone could push our rushing total down a little bit. Some of those yards could be picked up in the screen and quick passing game.

Expect the ground yards to drop 50 yards a game? What a revelation since whoever we plug in at running back will be starting for the very first time.

We should expect an increase in passing yet have no clue who starts at QB either. Can't we just admit none of us know jack yet, that includes the beat writers.

Amen!!!!

I agree we probably don't have a guy as talented as Helu, Burkhead, or Abdullah on the roster, but you don't necessarily need one to have a formidable ground game. You can do it by committee.

That's where his UT QB comparison misses the mark. You can't really do that at QB.

Good point.

Riley: "...And that's really the ultimate goal....how many guys can we get from right out......from right out here, that can go in...go in the games and help us win. And the more we find, obviously, the better, the better team we'll be...."

Pure genius, right there.

More: "I'm not gonna single anybody out, but I will say that Nabity, he's made a ton a football plays out here...."

As opposed to what other kind fo plays...?

Well, not to jump on the guy too much already, but Riley, the times I've heard him speak, seems a bit mumbly jumbly.Sorta scatter brained. Anybody else get that? I mean, Urban Meyer, for e.g., speaks incredibly clear and focused.

Riley: "...And that's really the ultimate goal....how many guys can we get from right out......from right out here, that can go in...go in the games and help us win. And the more we find, obviously, the better, the better team we'll be...."

More: "I'm not gonna single anybody out, but I will say that Nabity, he's made a ton a football plays out here...."

Well, not to jump on the guy too much already, but Riley, the times I've heard him speak, seems a bit mumbly jumbly.Sorta scatter brained. Anybody else get that? I mean, Urban Meyer, for e.g., speaks incredibly clear and focused.

The more clearly a person speaks, the more hated they become. See Jeff Gordon.

B1G rushing offense trivia: We were 4th in the B1G in 2014 rushing offense. Who were the first three teams in the B1G in rushing offense?

This sort of surprised me.

#3 Wisconsin

#8 tOSU

#9 Indiana

#17 Nebraska

#19 Michigan State

LINK

(I would have never guessed the Hoosiers were ahead of us.)

Yeah, IN had what's his name, Tevin Coleman and Elliot got it going for tOSU.

The more clearly a person speaks, the more hated they become. See Jeff Gordon.

Well, Urbs in particular, when he speaks, you can tell he's playing chess while about everybody else is playing checkers. He knows exactly what he wants and what he's doing. Saban is a close second in that regard. Urbs, in a class all his own, IMO. Riley makes me nervous when he speaks :confucius .

It sounds like they are going to use more short passes to the running backs.Still get the ball to them just wont count as rushing yards.

And doesn't anybody remember when the sky was falling because Ameer was too little, and fumbled too much? Criticisms of Burkhead and Helu too in their early years? Newby,Taylor Wilbon and Cross are all very talented players, and any one of them could be a star. I really not worried about that position at all, just looking forward to seeing which one it is.

• Fire 1

It sounds like they are going to use more short passes to the running backs.Still get the ball to them just wont count as rushing yards.

And doesn't anybody remember when the sky was falling because Ameer was too little, and fumbled too much? Criticisms of Burkhead and Helu too in their early years? Newby,Taylor Wilbon and Cross are all very talented players, and any one of them could be a star. I really not worried about that position at all, just looking forward to seeing which one it is.

Agree.