5 Beavers drafted: Tied for 2nd in the Pac 12

Pac-12 Draft Picks by School

2015 - USC 6, Stanford 6, Oregon 5, Oregon St 5, AZ St 4, Utah 4, Wash 4, UCLA 3, WSU 2, AZ 0, Cal 0, Colorado 0

2014 - USC 3, Stanford 6, Oregon 4, Oregon St 2, AZ St 3, Utah 2, Wash 2, UCLA 5, WSU 1, AZ 3, Cal 2, Colorado 1

2013 - USC 4, Stanford 3, Oregon 5, Oregon St 2, AZ St 0, Utah 2, Wash 1, UCLA 4, WSU 1, AZ 0, Cal 4, Colorado 2

2012 - USC 3, Stanford 4, Oregon 4, Oregon St 1, AZ St 2, Utah 1, Wash 2, UCLA 0, WSU 0, AZ 3, Cal 6, Colorado 2

TOTAL - USC 16, Stanford 19, Oregon 18, OSU 10, AZ 9, Utah 9, Wash 9, UCLA 12, WSU 4, AZ 6, Cal 12, Buffs 5

:bluffs

You are making me feel worse! Not better!

Just tell yourself Riley and Co. are that good at developing talent and don't think/look at any negative argument. Works for me.

This shouldn't worry you imo. Football has to be the most team centered sports there is. Sure you have a couple stars that can change a game, but the other 23+ players matter just as much. When you're going toe to toe with the Oregons/Stanfords/USCs/UCLA/ASUs of the world their depth will most times be too much for a team like OSU. Personally, I see this as a good thing for us. When they have to fill their recruiting classes with 2 and 3 stars and still get 5 guys drafted, that has to be a measure of Riley & co.'s ability to develop the players they had.

Yeah. Take for example Greg Schiano's Rutgers program. They weren't terrible, but they didn't really scare you either. They were certainly not some recruiting powerhouse. But pro coaches like Bill Belichick knew they were getting players who had been well coached in a solid program.

It's also cyclical how many players get drafted out of a program in any given year. Louisville had almost a dozen this year or something like that. As Mavric pointed out Oregon State didn't have 5 in recent years.

And how many undrafted players were "almost" 7th rounders, and vice versa, in a way that can affect these small numbers dramatically? There's no point in getting too caught up with numbers like this, but it was a pretty cool year for Oregon State.

2015 - USC 6, Stanford 6, Oregon 5, Oregon St 5, AZ St 4, Utah 4, Wash 4, UCLA 3, WSU 2, AZ 0, Cal 0, Colorado 0

2014 - USC 3, Stanford 6, Oregon 4, Oregon St 2, AZ St 3, Utah 2, Wash 2, UCLA 5, WSU 1, AZ 3, Cal 2, Colorado 1

2013 - USC 4, Stanford 3, Oregon 5, Oregon St 2, AZ St 0, Utah 2, Wash 1, UCLA 4, WSU 1, AZ 0, Cal 4, Colorado 2

2012 - USC 3, Stanford 4, Oregon 4, Oregon St 1, AZ St 2, Utah 1, Wash 2, UCLA 0, WSU 0, AZ 3, Cal 6, Colorado 2

TOTAL - USC 16, Stanford 19, Oregon 18, OSU 10, AZ 9, Utah 9, Wash 9, UCLA 12, WSU 4, AZ 6, Cal 12, Buffs 5

You are making me feel worse! Not better!
OSU was fourth in players drafted but finished eighth or lower in recruiting from 08-12*. So you could look at it as Riley is better at coaching up players than other coaches, or that he's better at evaluating talent than recruiting services.

*these are PAC12 rankings of course.

Very cool thread....very interesting. Makes me drink even more kool aid and get hyper for the upcoming season.

What you see from OSU drafted players is a lack of what really matters in winning. Offensive and interior defensive linemen. For example look at what type of player is drafted at Wisconsin most the time, offensive lineman.

Skill players are great, but lineman win football games

• Fire 1

What you see from OSU drafted players is a lack of what really matters in winning. Offensive and interior defensive linemen. For example look at what type of player is drafted at Wisconsin most the time, offensive lineman.

+1 Great point. Jones and Elliot got a lot of praise for Ohio State but they aren't winning the NC without their absolutely dominant line.

+1 Great point. Jones and Elliot got a lot of praise for Ohio State but they aren't winning the NC without their absolutely dominant line.

Well...they also had stud QB;s and RB's

I am confused by the creation of this thread. IIRC correctly, when the ESPN "Best College Football Team of All Time" extravaganza was going on and Kirk H was flipping sh#t out Nebraska beating out 2001 Miami, due to the crazy number of draft picks Miami had later, all of us Nebraska fans stated that being drafted in the NFL doesn't have diddly sh#t to do with having a successful college football team. Team chemistry, coaching, the system the players are playing in, and yeah sure, talent, all combine to add up to wins and losses.

You have to remember, Pro teams look at measurables and intelligence and character when drafting players, not necessarily how "good" they did in college. Look at Tom Brady. Bro was a BACKUP QB to Brian frickin' Greise if I remember correctly, but was still drafted. Is sending a ton of players to the NFL super cool? Yeah, but I'll take a 1995 Nebraska team that didn't really have any successful NFL careers, Ahman Green aside, over an Oregon State team sending 5 players to the NFL.

I get that this is the off season, and y'all don't have much to work with, especially with a new coach and new system, but settle down. We'll be ok, we're Nebraska.

• Fire 3

Beaver fan's take:

Riley is an under the radar recruiter, staffs his staff with good talent recognizers, and makes the most of out of 2 and 3 star recruits as can be seen by this year's draft (and others):

Mannion, QB 3rd round, 3 *

Nelson, CB 3rd round JC transfer 3*

Gwacham, DE 2 5th round 2 *

Murphy, S, 7th round 2*

Alexander, LB 7th round 2*

But yet all that talent on a senior laden defense UNDERACHIEVED mightily.

I saw a team that gave up, caved in and stopped trying in at least 4 contests this year and just as many the season before.

Maybe Riley doesn't need to beat the bushes for 2* with upside at Nebraska. He can get his foot in the door with 4* more easily and legitimately tell them he knows how to get them ready for the NFL.

Again, the issue is with winning games and creating a competitive pride within the program. Might be easier to blame his 5 and 6 win seasons at Oregon State on recruiting difficulties and there were depth issues at times but my personal observation is none of these guys who were drafted played like NFL guys. Competitive zeal for them and for the team as whole seemed gone.

I hope Riley's staff has their mojo back because i have met the man a few times and i like him but i was flat out disgusted by the performance of the teams he was putting on the field 3 of the last 4 seasons. Getting boat raced by teams that wanted it more and laughing about it.

Beaver fan's take:

Riley is an under the radar recruiter, staffs his staff with good talent recognizers, and makes the most of out of 2 and 3 star recruits as can be seen by this year's draft (and others):

Mannion, QB 3rd round, 3 *

Nelson, CB 3rd round JC transfer 3*

Gwacham, DE 2 5th round 2 *

Murphy, S, 7th round 2*

Alexander, LB 7th round 2*

But yet all that talent on a senior laden defense UNDERACHIEVED mightily.

I saw a team that gave up, caved in and stopped trying in at least 4 contests this year and just as many the season before.

Maybe Riley doesn't need to beat the bushes for 2* with upside at Nebraska. He can get his foot in the door with 4* more easily and legitimately tell them he knows how to get them ready for the NFL.

Again, the issue is with winning games and creating a competitive pride within the program. Might be easier to blame his 5 and 6 win seasons at Oregon State on recruiting difficulties and there were depth issues at times but my personal observation is none of these guys who were drafted played like NFL guys. Competitive zeal for them and for the team as whole seemed gone.

I hope Riley's staff has their mojo back because i have met the man a few times and i like him but i was flat out disgusted by the performance of the teams he was putting on the field 3 of the last 4 seasons. Getting boat raced by teams that wanted it more and laughing about it.

Thanks for the input.

Schematically, do you think Banker's defense would be better against the more traditional offenses in the Big Ten like Michigan State and Wisconsin, as opposed to spread teams like Oregon?