5 Beavers drafted: Tied for 2nd in the Pac 12

Beaver fan's take:

Riley is an under the radar recruiter, staffs his staff with good talent recognizers, and makes the most of out of 2 and 3 star recruits as can be seen by this year's draft (and others):

Mannion, QB 3rd round, 3 *

Nelson, CB 3rd round JC transfer 3*

Gwacham, DE 2 5th round 2 *

Murphy, S, 7th round 2*

Alexander, LB 7th round 2*

But yet all that talent on a senior laden defense UNDERACHIEVED mightily.

I saw a team that gave up, caved in and stopped trying in at least 4 contests this year and just as many the season before.

Maybe Riley doesn't need to beat the bushes for 2* with upside at Nebraska. He can get his foot in the door with 4* more easily and legitimately tell them he knows how to get them ready for the NFL.

Again, the issue is with winning games and creating a competitive pride within the program. Might be easier to blame his 5 and 6 win seasons at Oregon State on recruiting difficulties and there were depth issues at times but my personal observation is none of these guys who were drafted played like NFL guys. Competitive zeal for them and for the team as whole seemed gone.

I hope Riley's staff has their mojo back because i have met the man a few times and i like him but i was flat out disgusted by the performance of the teams he was putting on the field 3 of the last 4 seasons. Getting boat raced by teams that wanted it more and laughing about it.

Thanks for the input.

Schematically, do you think Banker's defense would be better against the more traditional offenses in the Big Ten like Michigan State and Wisconsin, as opposed to spread teams like Oregon?

Yes, Banker's kool aid is all 4-3, inside gap control run stop defense, bend but don't break, and eventually force a punt or field goal by winning a down-and-distance 3rd down. It works VERY well when it works and Banker is very good at playing the percentages on when to blitz the safeties to bring more pressure. He is the master at scheming pressure against pocket offenses, especially when he has lock down corners he can trust.

He is out of his element against most of the spread variations.His 4-3 loses contain whenever the Qb reads the backside DE correctly and gets to the corner. He does not seem to have an answer for that.

• Fire 3

Lets not overreact. Riley is not. 5 win coach like the last couple years suggest.

Hes mainly a 9 win coach. Hell fit right in.

Yeah, this is kind of crazy. Riley's program sending a lot of guys to the NFL this year, how can that possibly be viewed as a bad thing? Would we rather he sent nobody?

Lets not overreact. Riley is not. 5 win coach like the last couple years suggest.

Riley's record the past 5 seasons is ugly. He has one 9 win season......he also has a 9 loss season. Yikes.

Riley's record the past 5 seasons is ugly. He has one 9 win season......he also has a 9 loss season. Yikes.

I'll make you a deal right now. If Riley doesn't do as good or better than Pelini (9 wins), I will leave the board and stop posting......as long as you promise to do the same if he does. Deal? Cuz I can't take anymore of your negative, defeatist bullsh#t. Or, you could do us all a favor and just go now.

• Fire 4

Did he give up 1200 rushing yards to one team between two game?....no?

Yeah, this is kind of crazy. Riley's program sending a lot of guys to the NFL this year, how can that possibly be viewed as a bad thing? Would we rather he sent nobody?

My only "concern" (and it is not really even a concern) is that he is sending guys to the league but losing lots of games. It just is a head scratcher.

My only "concern" (and it is not really even a concern) is that he is sending guys to the league but losing lots of games. It just is a head scratcher.

I think there can be a legitimate reason for that. If your program is able to get a few really good players and you develop that talent BUT, you don't have enough depth to really sustain success or you aren't able to bring in that talent at enough positions, you could see this happen.

I think there can be a legitimate reason for that. If your program is able to get a few really good players and you develop that talent BUT, you don't have enough depth to really sustain success or you aren't able to bring in that talent at enough positions, you could see this happen.

Yeah, that is true too.

Here's what I like:

Mike Riley has been around the block in professional and college football. Developed a lot of talent at Oregon State. Enjoyed a safe position there. Turned down other offers over the years. Nearing retirement, universally respected within the coaching fraternity.

And he thought to himself: what could I do with the resources at Nebraska?

Then he took the job.

• Fire 1

I am confused by the creation of this thread. IIRC correctly, when the ESPN "Best College Football Team of All Time" extravaganza was going on and Kirk H was flipping sh#t out Nebraska beating out 2001 Miami, due to the crazy number of draft picks Miami had later, all of us Nebraska fans stated that being drafted in the NFL doesn't have diddly sh#t to do with having a successful college football team. Team chemistry, coaching, the system the players are playing in, and yeah sure, talent, all combine to add up to wins and losses.

You have to remember, Pro teams look at measurables and intelligence and character when drafting players, not necessarily how "good" they did in college. Look at Tom Brady. Bro was a BACKUP QB to Brian frickin' Greise if I remember correctly, but was still drafted. Is sending a ton of players to the NFL super cool? Yeah, but I'll take a 1995 Nebraska team that didn't really have any successful NFL careers, Ahman Green aside, over an Oregon State team sending 5 players to the NFL.

I get that this is the off season, and y'all don't have much to work with, especially with a new coach and new system, but settle down. We'll be ok, we're Nebraska.

Kudos on the usage of "diddly sh#t" that alone is worth a +1 and I'm totally stealing that to use in my every day conversation.

Seriously though I'm not sure what to make of OSU number of draft picks either.

Miami had 7 players drafted this year, went 6-7 last year, lost to us who had only 3 draft picks. I"m sure if someone did some digging they could find another school they lost to that had even fewer picks than us. So what does all that mean?

Perhaps "diddly sh#t" indeed. :)

I'll make you a deal right now. If Riley doesn't do as good or better than Pelini (9 wins), I will leave the board and stop posting......as long as you promise to do the same if he does. Deal? Cuz I can't take anymore of your negative, defeatist bullsh#t. Or, you could do us all a favor and just go now.

I'll take you up on that bet, mainly because I'm a Lopers fan and don't care much about UNL one way or the other. I think you will be sweating out the season and I could care less.

Are we on?...