Wait...

You guys are serious about wanting Golson?

If you are already down on Tommy, and were down on Martinez, get ready to be majorly let down by Golson... Because you guys that would want him, would hype him up, and in no way will we see an upgrade. If anything, we'd probably see him being benched, like he was benched for ND at the end of last season.

I am stumped sometimes. I truly am stumped by this...

Last 4 games last year: He was 66/123 for a completion percentage around 53%. OK, not bad, not great. I can live with that. But he had 8 TD's to 7 INTs. They were also 0-4...

That is FAR from an upgrade... You might not like Tommy, but get ready to hate Golson...

No

You obviously didn't read the thread

Wait...

You guys are serious about wanting Golson?

If you are already down on Tommy, and were down on Martinez, get ready to be majorly let down by Golson... Because you guys that would want him, would hype him up, and in no way will we see an upgrade. If anything, we'd probably see him being benched, like he was benched for ND at the end of last season.

I am stumped sometimes. I truly am stumped by this...

Last 4 games last year: He was 66/123 for a completion percentage around 53%. OK, not bad, not great. I can live with that. But he had 8 TD's to 7 INTs. They were also 0-4...

That is FAR from an upgrade... You might not like Tommy, but get ready to hate Golson...

In the extremely unlikely event that he transfers to Nebraska, cool. If he doesn't, no biggie. I'm not going to lose sleep if he doesn't transfer here, which I'm 99.9% sure he won't.

Here are stats for Golson and Armstrong. To me, not a huge difference, except for completion percentage. Armstrong's rushing yardage helps make up for a difference in passing yardage.

STATS AND STUFF

I'll take a higher completion percentage and more passing yardage any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Why do people always discount rushing stats when looking at QB's? To me, a yard gained is a yard gained.

When we have an extremely inefficient passing game and teams can key on the run, that makes it so much harder to gain yards on the ground. We saw a lot of that last year when they stacked up against the run and we couldn't move the ball. Maybe Langsdorf's offensive scheme have more versatility in the run game and he won't try to send our RBs into a brick wall every time they get the football, but even with a more versatile running game, a more efficient passing game will open up the run even more.

But, I could argue that a QB that can run forces the defense to play 11 on 11 and takes away a possible defender against the running back and possible receivers? I am not trying to argue that it has to be one or the other, but I don't like it when people discount rushing yards from a QB. It's only one play, but if a QB takes a shotgun snap and tosses it forward to a WR running a jet-sweep action, that QB gets credit for passing yards. All the QB did was stand there, take the snap, and basically hand it to the WR running by.

Valid point. It's nice to have a mobile QB, but considering our less-than-stellar history of recruiting "dual threat" QBs, I can't help but be a bit jaded on that concept. Maybe the new coaching staff will change my mind.

We did fine recruiting dual threat QB's. What we sucked hind teat at was developing them. Martinez really didn't make strides in the passing game until he took it upon himself to hire a private coach. I'm not willing to throw every dual threat QB we recruited under the bus simply because the past coaching staff couldn't develop them.

With that being said, I'm interested in what Riley and co. can do with Armstrong. I believe they can mold him into a better QB than Golson. I think a lot of fans will be surprised this year how much different Armstrong's decision making is compared to last year.

Why is everyone so down on Tommy? I wouldn't take Golson over TA. The measurables are similar and I think Tommy actually has a stronger arm. Our past coaching staff has proven that they weren't great at developing QBs so let's see what he can do with better coaching. I'm not willing to throw away 3 years of experience and leadership for a 1 year transfer. He also has 2 years of eligibility remaining to learn from this staff. Maybe I'm still hurt from the Sam Keller situation.

borat-letterman-high-five.gif

+1

Armstrong has the potential. The talent and the skills are all there. Now he's got the coaching and the system that will help him take the next step. I've been high on the kid from day one and I still think he can be the next great Husker Qb.

This

Armstrong has the tools, he just needs more effective coaching. Everything about this new system will give him the best chance to flourish and improve. I'm with True on this, lets let it play out and see how it goes this year.

That and goloson has been a problem child, I don't riley would take someone with his baggage.

Notre Dame won't release Everett Golson to Texas, '15 opponents
By Chip Patterson | College Football/Basketball Writer
May 10, 2015 10:20 pm ET
Everett Golson won't end up at Texas or any other opponent on Notre Dame's 2015 schedule, according to Fox Sports' Bruce Feldman.

LINK

Ha ha Whorns!

you guys would seriously take a one-off transfer QB who:

1. was mediocre at best at Notre Dame

2. sat out a year due to academic suspension

3. hemorrhages turnovers

4. lost his job to a freshman

over a guy who is entering his third season as a starter and who has spent all that time building up trust, confidence, and affinity with his teammates? why do Husker fans in particular have such consistent disdain for their starting quarterback?

Sounds like it's going to be FSU

http://247sports.com/Article/Everett-Golson-Notre-Dame-QB-transfer-Florida-State-an-option-37220485

Sources: FSU the frontrunner for Everett Golson

Florida State is seen as the eventual destination for Golson, multiple sources with intimate knowledge of Golson’s situation tell 247Sports. Last year’s backup, Sean Maguire, finished the spring as FSU’s starter.

“Barring a last-minute change of heart or any influence from elsewhere, [Florida State’s] where he’s headed,” one source said.

247Sports reported after Golson's transfer broke on Thursday that Georgia and South Carolina were seen as likely options. Other SEC programs, not just those two, are at least mildly interested in striking up talks with Golson, but they’re running into two issues. There’s SEC Bylaw 14.1.15.1 (d), which says a prospective student-athlete would be eligible to get scholarship money, practice and compete if they have not been “subject to official university or athletics disciplinary action at any time during enrollment at any previous college institution.”

An SEC compliance source believes this to be rigid, especially in light of Golson’s checkered past. Golson was suspended from Notre Dame, and thus the football team, during the 2013 fall semester for “poor academic judgement,”he has said.

3. hemorrhages turnovers

over a guy who is entering his third season as a starter and who has spent all that time building up trust, confidence, and affinity with his teammates? why do Husker fans in particular have such consistent disdain for their starting quarterback?

FSU and a lot of other elite programs want him, but Husker fans aren't supposed to consider the idea of him coming to Nebraska. Gotcha.

(but for the record I wouldn't want him to come here).

3. hemorrhages turnovers

I don't think anyone is giving Golson the starting job right off the bat, but considering that Armstrong has also been mediocre at best thus far and has been guilty of turning the ball over plenty himself, I can understand people thinking that Golson could at least compete with Armstrong. I think he could.

I wouldnt take him because I think a 1 year QB isnt ideal for where this team is.

We are not a QB away from winning a national title...

Russel Wilson is not the norm... Rarely a guy can come in and produce the way he did.

...or the Big10 for that matter.

I wouldnt take him because I think a 1 year QB isnt ideal for where this team is.

We are not a QB away from winning a national title...

Russel Wilson is not the norm... Rarely a guy can come in and produce the way he did.

...or the Big10 for that matter.

I dont know about that.

Ohio State and Michigan state are good, but the west is winnable and we could surprise a team in the B1G championship game.