RB Aphonso Thomas [SMU - Signed LOI]

It looks like he tries to do too much, backing up to find a lane. That's something you can do in high school but usually turns out bad at higher levels. Watching his film I think he's pretty good athletically but makes questionable decisions.

It had been a while since I looked at Thomas's film, but watching again, here is what I see. Two red flags are that he tries to change direction of the field and carries the ball mostly with his right arm. The dancing will not work at the college level. However, if you watch his film, most plays where he tries to switch directions and move laterally is after he has ran 15-20 yds and is looking to get in the endzone. In college, those plays will end in 15-20 yds, not too bad. No idea how well he does with pass pro or catching (none in highlights). His lateral cuts are good but not elite.

The upsides are he has good size, good short area burst, and can make defenders miss in small spaces. He also makes you miss in the open field with stiff arms, change of pace juking, or simply out running you. He can bounce off hits well and carries multiple defenders for extra yards.

My quick take is he is a punishing running with speed.

It looks like he tries to do too much, backing up to find a lane. That's something you can do in high school but usually turns out bad at higher levels. Watching his film I think he's pretty good athletically but makes questionable decisions.

It had been a while since I looked at Thomas's film, but watching again, here is what I see. Two red flags are that he tries to change direction of the field and carries the ball mostly with his right arm. The dancing will not work at the college level. However, if you watch his film, most plays where he tries to switch directions and move laterally is after he has ran 15-20 yds and is looking to get in the endzone. In college, those plays will end in 15-20 yds, not too bad. No idea how well he does with pass pro or catching (none in highlights). His lateral cuts are good but not elite.

The upsides are he has good size, good short area burst, and can make defenders miss in small spaces. He also makes you miss in the open field with stiff arms, change of pace juking, or simply out running you. He can bounce off hits well and carries multiple defenders for extra yards.

Says he's trying to turning into a threat receiving out the backfield. Good assessment as well.

The good news for those that worry is that he isn't needed for a season or two.

With the way Riley and his staff develop guys I am not worried. Had this been a Bo offer I would have been like hmmmm...but with the experience that the Riley staff has I am pumped!

I agree with the enthusiasm for this kid but helu, rex (even though a 4 star had few offers), and AA a guy that broke some records were pretty good undervalued / overlooked recruits so I don't see the comparison or criticism of the prior staff. We are thrilled to have u on board AT!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not writing the kid off, I've just always preferred backs that drive forward instead of dancing around. I like what I see other than how he was ending some runs. I'm taking the stance that above all else the staff must like him. It's not like this was a stab in the dark after losing out on a series of other backs. Definitely not against the commit.

AA was brought up in this thread so I thought it would be a good time to revisit. He was "unheralded"...kind of, but not really. While he was "only" a 3-star, he held offers from USC and Alabama, among many other places. Now, this was late in the game. AA's recruitment didn't blow up until later. And here we are before the junior school year is over. So it's very different in the timeline.

It's fair to point out though, that (perhaps at the expense of other, more key positions such as OL and QB?) the previous staff was very successful at recruiting RBs. Coaching them, too. Heard, Green, and Abdullah arrived in one class (two recruiting cycles). There's a lot to live up to in this area.

It's quite possible this mini golden age of Husker RBs is over. But I'll trade some skill position pizzaz for overall team strength if necessary.

After reading some prior posts, I'm wondering if I'm watching the same tape. This kid is really good and has the physical tools to blossom at Nebraska. I will not be surprised if his recruitments begins to blow up and texas schools along with the sec start to offer. I don't see any wasted movement and there was one spectacular play where he cuts back and jukes a bunch of guys. I don't understand the logic in downplaying it. Sure it won't be as easy in college but if he can do it in HS, well hell let him do it. He's a big kid with great speed and has the frame to become a physical specimen. This is a great commit for us and my only worry is that he could be swayed to another team because he will get other big offers. Don't downplay the kid because he wasn't the first running back on YOUR board. He will get a rating bump.

After reading some prior posts, I'm wondering if I'm watching the same tape. This kid is really good and has the physical tools to blossom at Nebraska. I will not be surprised if his recruitments begins to blow up and texas schools along with the sec start to offer. I don't see any wasted movement and there was one spectacular play where he cuts back and jukes a bunch of guys. I don't understand the logic in downplaying it. Sure it won't be as easy in college but if he can do it in HS, well hell let him do it. He's a big kid with great speed and has the frame to become a physical specimen. This is a great commit for us and my only worry is that he could be swayed to another team because he will get other big offers. Don't downplay the kid because he wasn't the first running back on YOUR board. He will get a rating bump.

I agree...I think this is his first "big" offer and I think he ends up a 4 star, much like O'Brien or is it O'Brian?