Cornnation: Tommie Frazier left off Football Writers Of America Top QB's List

First on the list are Stanford's Jim Plunkett and Tennessee's Peyton Manning. Good choices.

The writers must be giving extra credit for what they did after college. Neither of these two did as much in college ball as Tommie. Not even close.

• Fire 3

First on the list are Stanford's Jim Plunkett and Tennessee's Peyton Manning. Good choices.

The writers must be giving extra credit for what they did after college. Neither of these two did as much in college ball as Tommie. Not even close.

Totally. Ironically Nebraska put Manning in the QB graveyard when they played us. That's a night he'll probably not want to remember. That list needs a re-do.

Pop quiz, hotshot. Name the only college football player of the Modern Era to be named the MVP of two consecutive National Championship games.

I thought it was 3. Pretty sure he won the MVP of the 94 Orange Bowl in a losing effort against FSU.

Yep. Co-MVP with Ward.

Of course, that doesn't make knapp's post wrong....

• Fire 1

This is why, among many other reasons, I can never give writers respect when it comes to the game of football. I know that I am biased as a Husker fan, but this just keeps adding to my inability to hand out respect to writers. I know that's an over-generalized statement, but sheesh...

Writer's Penalties against Tommie: He played wt Laurence Philips, he played with an exceptionally talented group, he played with thugs, he beat media darling UoF in the Fiesta Bowl, the offense was boring, blah blah.

I've seen previous reports that labeled Tommie as the 'Best College QB" ever - the best fit for his team and what that team accomplished. I wish I could find those old articles.

I've seen some people speculate that it's because Tommie wasn't a "pure QB" like Peyton Manning, but considering that Tim Tebow was on the list and he's every bit as far away from what anyone could consider a "pure QB" as Tommie is, I don't buy that theory.

That'll be the biggest reason. Option Quarterbacks have never been as popular as pocket quarterbacks because people base "greatness" off of a player's pro career. NFL success is not a great barometer of a player's college greatness, but that will never stop it being used as a measuring stick.

Tim Tebow is the outlier for that, but Tebow was an outlier for many things. He just became a media sensation off the field like very few players have ever done.

• Fire 1

I've seen some people speculate that it's because Tommie wasn't a "pure QB" like Peyton Manning, but considering that Tim Tebow was on the list and he's every bit as far away from what anyone could consider a "pure QB" as Tommie is, I don't buy that theory.

Tim Tebow wasn't every bit as far away. His passing numbers were consistently top 5 in the country each year, about 30-40 points higher than Tommie in QBR.

Tim Tebow was closer to Jameis Winston than he was to Tommie Frazier.