Martinez and the NFL

btw...while I'll defend Taylor Martinez's career at Nebraska, I don't think even the healthy version of him makes it in the NFL.

The league has been tough on dual threat QBs who were better passers and decision makers.

Agreed, at least not as a QB. Just too many guys out there who are better. He definitely wasn't to the level of Russell Wilson or Cam Newton in terms of dual-threat abilities, and Wilson isn't even really that great of an NFL QB. He's the type of guy who needed a very strong support system around him in order to win a title which is what he got.

Hmmmm. That might be really underselling Wilson. But admittedly, he is in a great situation there in Seattle, so it can be hard to disentangle.

Well, he is an NFL QB, and I think he's definitely deserving of his spot in the league. But, he's not a Top 10 QB IMHO. He doesn't impact a game like a Brady, Manning, Brees, etc. I think he's a great leader and he often makes big plays when he needs to. But, with their roster, I could see a few guys being very successful up there. I don't mean to knock him because I actually like him as a player, but, I just think there are probably 10 or 11 guys I'd rather have.

Hmmmm. That might be really underselling Wilson. But admittedly, he is in a great situation there in Seattle, so it can be hard to disentangle.

Well, he is an NFL QB, and I think he's definitely deserving of his spot in the league. But, he's not a Top 10 QB IMHO. He doesn't impact a game like a Brady, Manning, Brees, etc. I think he's a great leader and he often makes big plays when he needs to. But, with their roster, I could see a few guys being very successful up there. I don't mean to knock him because I actually like him as a player, but, I just think there are probably 10 or 11 guys I'd rather have.
No way Wilsons not a top 10 qb IMO. You and I must have been watching 2 different players.

No way Wilsons not a top 10 qb IMO. You and I must have been watching 2 different players.

If I had my pick of NFL QB's, I'd take probably 10 guys before I got to Wilson. He'd probably be my 11th or 12th choice. An argument can be made for him without question, but, it's all subjective anyways.

I guess that's hard to argue. I don't know where he'd fall if I got into ranking all NFL QBs; I'm sure it would not be Top 5, but it'd probably be "thereabouts" for Top 10. He is quite impressive.

So the disagreement -- if any -- would be in calling that "not that great as a NFL QB". But generally, I do agree about the league being pretty tough on these dual threat guys unless they can throw. Then again, Tebow was once drafted in the 1st round.

I guess that's hard to argue. I don't know where he'd fall if I got into ranking all NFL QBs; I'm sure it would not be Top 5, but it'd probably be "thereabouts" for Top 10. He is quite impressive.

So the disagreement -- if any -- would be in calling that "not that great as a NFL QB". But generally, I do agree about the league being pretty tough on these dual threat guys unless they can throw. Then again, Tebow was once drafted in the 1st round.

I agree with you there. When I said "not that great", what I was really meaning to say is I don't consider him one of the "greats" of the game right now. Definitely a good quarterback, but, I can see how my language there made it seem like he wasn't very good. Apologies.

I'm pretty sure everybody but Josh McDaniels thought that drafting Tebow that high up was a total reach, though.

It seems to me that time has changed some peoples mind on Taylor. Have always been a staunch supporter of the kid. Did not want him to start when he did, but afterwards, the effort, the drive, the will to do the job and do it the best he could sold me on him. Meeting him and spending some time talking with him cemented it even more. I never got a true read on his feelings for Coach Pelini. Never a negative word said by him or his father in that regard, and I was looking for it.

So glad to see he is being remembered for what he tried to do. Another in the line of not qualified for the job that Pelini seemed to revel in.

I also agree that he would never have made it in the NFL as a QB. But I certainly wish he had gotten the chance to test the waters. He deserved that for sure.

Thanks to those that have reassessed their views on a fine young man. No one tried harder to win the games. He worked against some very debilitating injuries, injuries that last a very long time. And normally sideline pros for a season or two, yet he was back out there nearly every game, giving his all. Never whined or complained, never threw his coach under the bus, and never complained about how he was treated by the fans. If I had a daughter, he is the type of young man I would want to see her with.

RW3s success is because he is a great decision maker. He also has not had any big time targets to rely on. We now finally have a #1 target with Jimmy, I'm pretty his stats improve next year. Plus we don't have to rely on him passing like Peyton, Brady, Rodgers because we have the best running back in the league. He has also attempted the least number of passes in the NFL last three seasons, can't expect him to put up top 5 QB numbers. Rodgers is the only QB in the league I'd consider taking over him. And yes, I'm aware of my bias man crush.