Has anyone here quit their job without something lined up?

I quit a job once with nothing lined up. But I wouldn't recommend it. It took me several weeks to find another job. They had totally screwed me over, and I told my boss to shove it. In retrospect, I should have been a little calmer and just started looking elsewhere while I still worked there.

I hope it works out for you!

I did when I moved from my old home town to Omaha. I needed a way out because the pay sucked and wasn't going to get any better (I liked the job, just not enough to make $9 an hour doing it) so I told the boss to bring in a replacement for me to train ASAP, without having a job lined up in Omaha. Luckily, my friend let me move in with him and put the back rent on a tab until I had a job lined up and could start paying, but it took me almost exactly a month to find something. Even so, ultimately I think quitting my old job and moving to Omaha is the best decision I've ever made.

If that's a decision you're seriously considering, I wish you luck. It worked out for me, but I was lucky to have a friend who had a place to crash lined up for me.

I didn't do it exactly like you are asking as I had 2 weeks of vacation and started that and the very last day of vacation I informed the company I was working with that I had enough. Fortunately in my line of work, it took me about 24 hours to find a better paying job with a about 15 hours less a week(actually a 40 hour a week job) and started the week after I quit my previous job. I lost a weeks pay which sucked but at the time we could afford it. Try and get feelers out there and do some research on what your job market is like before doing this kind of thing though or it could eat through any savings you have pretty darn quick.

A year after I graduated undergrad, I quit my job to move to the Denver with my soon-to-be-wife. We just moved out here for the heck of it. A few years later, we quit our jobs so that we could move to Chicago, where I attended business school. As I was finishing business school, I had troubles getting hired before graduation, so we discussed moving back to Colorado and figuring it out. I did get hired for a job in the Dallas area about 6 months before I graduated business school, so that was a good feeling.

I would do it if I were single or married without kids and I had a plan for what I wanted to do (moving to a new city...etc.). I have a friend who did it with 4 kids at home and one in college. His wife has a decent job. But, I think he is regretting it. BUT...the wife wanted to move to Oregon so....whatever the wife wants.

I did last summer. I basically decided to live off of savings for the summer to spend it with my kids. Found a new job and started about a week before they went back to school. It was a great summer. Spent quality time with them at a time when they still want to be around me. We were able to afford to still do some small trips, go to Adventureland, went and stayed a week at Two Rivers. Had a lot of fun. Now I want to find a job working for the school so I can do that every summer.

• Fire 1

I did last summer. I basically decided to live off of savings for the summer to spend it with my kids. Found a new job and started about a week before they went back to school. It was a great summer. Spent quality time with them at a time when they still want to be around me. We were able to afford to still do some small trips, go to Adventureland, went and stayed a week at Two Rivers. Had a lot of fun. Now I want to find a job working for the school so I can do that every summer.

Be an administrator. You can't be worse than 90% of them

Ha! Amen!

I did it twice...Both times it worked out just fine I guess.

Ha! Amen!

I did it twice...Both times it worked out just fine I guess.

Got to find an opening. Not sure how much my experience in finance will work for BPS, but I'm willing to try if they have an opening. :D