The Repub Debate

I don't care if there's two men or two women on the ballot, as long as they're qualified for the job. It's when a person is put on the ballot as a stunt, or as a demographic, that's annoying. Sarah Palin immediately comes to mind.

I feel like they have to do that though. Now if the average voter was thoughtful and intelligent, they could just pick the best person for the job. But if that was the case we wouldn't have almost exclusively lawyers as our representatives. People who are somewhat attractive and good at public speaking/arguing get elected. I'll ignore the anomaly who is Trump.

When the average voter hears the word "Trump", they most often think of "money".

Money is very attractive to the average voter.

Actually, I think of card games.

Bridge, in particular.

What is an average voter? Cause...I think it is everyone that is in the thread including myself.

"Average" is likely just an artificial line of demarcation.

For everyone that is above average, there is likely someone else who is just as far below average.

Are you sure you want to know more details about where you fit? :D

What an average answer! :)

When I was in college I worked at a donut place, Winchells, great donuts! Anyway...every Sunday I worked from like 11-5pm...alone. And every Sunday about the same 5-6 old men came in..They knew everything, they were solving all of the problems in America. Every Sunday they did this, it was pretty impressive.

They also all ordered 1 coffee and a plain donut and hung out there for about 3-4 hours. And smoked a ton.

What is an average voter? Cause...I think it is everyone that is in the thread including myself.

Uh, no it's not. The sample size is much too small for that. It'd be pretty amazing if all of us in this thread were exactly average, and were also representative of the population. Seeing as most of us are from Nebraska we're probably smarter than the average and lean to the right. But those two things aren't associated :)

Now that being said, average probably wasn't the best statistic to use. I'll go with mode. The mode voter isn't thoughtful and intelligent. Things that shouldn't affect a person's vote affect the mode voter's vote

Let's bear in mind, also, that we are not speaking of a governmental function. This is a case of a party - one which is not a function of government - deciding the means by which it will select who will carry the party's blessing to run for President. It's a private activity.

If someone wants to create their own party and count actual votes, they can. So "one man, one vote" is applicable only if the party wants that as the means to determine its representative.

That's actually an interesting discussion to have. I got into it some tonight about whether open or closed primaries are more appropriate and whether non-members should have a say in an organization of which they're not a part.

Two ways of looking at it: If you belong to a party, and it is a party nomination- I think only party members should vote. For example: Growing up I was in 4-H. When we elected officers, we didn't invite the Boy scouts to come over and vote in our election.

The other way to look at is this: an open primary 'might' reflect the candidates strength in a general election. But it would open up the votes to trickery - the other party members voting in the primary wt the purpose of choosing the weakest candidate in the GE.

There's also the argument postulated by some (like my roommate, who's a Sanders supporter) that because the election process so involves everyone in the country, we should try to accommodate as many people as possible to best involve them in the process. This is a pro, but I also agree with what you said about trickery. I don't like the way same day registration can lead to strategic voting with people just out to sabotage that party's nomination process.

So I heard Ted Cruz in an interview state that they are in the process now of vetting VP candidates. Who do you think each candidate should name as a VP candidate prior to the convention in order to gain support on the 2nd ballot? Assumption - they won't name one of the other candidates as their VP as Cruz and Kasich both said they won't be the VP.

CRUZ - - Scott Walker or Rubio which brings Wisc and Florida into play (he may choose Carly Furina - who I don't think secures any states)

Kasich - N Mexico Gov Susana Martinez or Rubio

Trump - He'll name a family member as there isn't anyone else good enough but family. He's insulted everyone else :sarcasm

That's the joke--even if they have Jesus himself run as VP, they won't even come close to sniffing the White House, because the Presidential candidates are so unpalatable to most of America. And that's assuming Jesus can put up with their special brand of crazy instead of walking out and saying "I rose from the dead for this s***?" Or really...just putting up with Cruz altogether.

The best thing for the GOP is to cease its existence and break off into two parties--one for the rational, sane-thinking moderates, and one that the extreme fringe of the now GOP can go belong to, and let the moderate party make a run unimpeded by the derp of the extremists that have infested the party.

Have Rubio run as a true moderate without the extremist baggage weighing him down, give him someone like McCain or hell, a Blue Dog Democrat as a VP candidate, and he'd win, hands down.

I understand this conversation is geared towards the future of conservatism in America, but if they do indeed schism and splinter apart, which for all intents and purposes it appears they're beginning to do right now, doesn't that essentially neuter them somewhat in regards to future elections?

If they split into moderate and more fringy conservative parties, both of which have their own primaries and candidates, how do they consolidate into one candidate for the general election? If they don't, they're essentially staring splitting their electorate in the face-- it'd be a very similar situation to this year if Cruz were to win the nomination at a contested convention and Trump were to run third party (or Sanders for the Dems, for that matter). That essentially makes their general election chances nil.

Very interesting stuff to think about.

Moiraine, I don't know that Cruz is capable of choosing someone moderate to balance him out. The fact he's vetting Fiorina tells you all you need to know about what he's thinking. I'm thinking he for some reason wants to run a true, pure conservative ticket. I think the guy has delusions of being like Reagan, and sadly, he's so woefully far off base.

Regarding Clinton, the only women I've heard kicked around is Warren from MA. She would free up a Senate seat which hopefully MA could keep blue. Other people I've heard mentioned are Corey Booker (S-NJ), Juilian Castro (US Sec of Housing and Urban Development), and Tom Perez (US Sec of Labor). Personally, I'd think it would be one of the latter two to try to even further solidify the Hispanic vote. Booker is going to be a rockstar for the Dems, but he's pretty young and I don't know that he's ready for a VP slot. Sadly, the gig may in fact wind up being a play for demographics. We shall see. Maybe a mystery candidate emerges.

Based on tonight's results, it appears that Trump can essentially clinch the nomination if he wins Indiana. It would take a major setback for him to win Indiana and not win the nomination based on how the remaining states are shaping up.

Uh oh...one step closer to a few people in this thread leaving the country! Viva Le France!