The Repub Debate

I don't think you took my comment about "if only everyone actually used that practice" the way I intended it. That comment was meant to be facetious about how people in this thread put silly expectations on Presidential candidates that they couldn't live up to themselves.

Everyone you disagree with in this thread is just positioning themselves as the alpha.

• Fire 1

Always make sure your house is clean before criticizing others about theirs.

If only everyone actually used that practice.

Soooooo.......

You think people shouldn't be quick to attack people on a personal level who make mistakes or whose lives aren't perfect because their lives probably aren't perfect or they have also made the same type of mistakes.

........but...........you fully support your candidate doing that.

Interesting.

If you read his book (The Art of The Deal) you'd understand why he does those things. He establishes himself as the alpha in order to sell himself as the strongest candidate, which is why he's a great negotiator.

A really great book that explains this method of positioning yourself as the alpha in a position is "Pitch Anything" by Oren Klaff. It's all about sales and negotiation on a daily basis, which is what it takes to be an effective business-man (big business at least). Like it or not, people can take as many swipes at him as they want, but there are lots of reasons why he has achieved the level of success that he has in his life. Inheritance and bankruptcy aren't high on that list.

I just threw up a little.

Sooooo.......

You think people shouldn't be quick to attack people on a personal level who make mistakes or whose lives aren't perfect because their lives probably aren't perfect or they have also made the same type of mistakes.

Buuuttt........you fully support your candidate doing that because he has established superiority over you and you must follow him to establish your own sense of worthiness?

Am I on the right track?????

Interesting.....(Dang...I can't help using that word)

I don't think you took my comment about "if only everyone actually used that practice" the way I intended it. That comment was meant to be facetious about how people in this thread put silly expectations on Presidential candidates that they couldn't live up to themselves.

Oh...I knew exactly how you meant it.

News flash.....

I'm not running for the most powerful political office in the world and I'm not the one on TV attacking someone else for their personal life when my own life is proof I'm a slime ball.

So, in your world, a politician can do whatever they want and us non Alpha people need to shut up and understand that we shouldn't criticize. We should just follow.....because....you know.....he is the Alpha over us and he is so superior that us mere humans just aren't educated enough to understand his actions and thoughts.

• Fire 1

Is that the appeal? Trump positions himself as "the alpha" and all the wannabe alphas out there idolize him for it? I guess that makes some sense.

I kind of wish there could be a real conversation without all the hyperbole. It's obvious that a lot of people who are against Trump only read articles and watch news casts that are completely biased and then just regurgitate the garbage they read or hear.

I don't believe he ever wanted to run for president. He was in several interviews throughout the past couple decades and they asked him if he ever would run. His answer pretty much every time was essentially "I wouldn't run unless our country got bad enough that I felt like I had to."

I guess I find it hard to follow some peoples' interpretation that he's in it for selfish reasons.

• Fire 1

Is that the appeal? Trump positions himself as "the alpha" and all the wannabe alphas out there idolize him for it? I guess that makes some sense.

I kind of wish there could be a real conversation without all the hyperbole. It's obvious that a lot of people who are against Trump only read articles and watch news casts that are completely biased and then just regurgitate the garbage they read or hear.

I don't believe he ever wanted to run for president. He was in several interviews throughout the past couple decades and they asked him if he ever would run. His answer pretty much every time was essentially "I wouldn't run unless our country got bad enough that I felt like I had to."

I guess I find it hard to follow some peoples' interpretation that he's in it for selfish reasons.

Your candidate prevents a real conversation. Did you actually watch any of the debates?

I REALLY wish he would actually talk about issues but he very very seldom ever does and when he does, he proves he has absolutely no clue what he is doing.

Attacking people is what has worked for him and why he keeps doing it.

Why won't his followers demand that he actually talk about issues instead of attack people personally?

Or...are we back to the Alpha thing?

• Fire 1

I'm mostly funnin' with you, but you know that.

I agree: I don't think Trump ever really intended to run for president. To this day I cannot for the life of me figure out why he would want the job, other than some ego thing. He's got more money than he knows what to do with, he's a household name and reasonably well-liked (outside the political sphere, before all the quotes he's dropped in the last year), and he's doing nothing but alienating the very party he needs to actually get anything done in office. It doesn't seem like a real presidential run, and hasn't right up to the point where he secured enough delegates for an uncontested convention. Mostly I think he did this as a lark, much like his past "presidential runs," and he just let it fly from the hip. That struck a chord with enough people - and the Republican party is in such disarray - that he's done gone and won the thing.

I'm concerned that, were he to win the presidency, he'd do very little governing and do a lot more kvetching than he is now. I'm afraid that two years into a Trump presidency we'll look back at the Obama presidency as "that time when congress actually got along with the White House."

I think both Trump and America stand to lose badly if he gets the nomination. He'll be the first president since Nixon ousted from office before his term ends.

Your candidate prevents a real conversation. Did you actually watch any of the debates?

I REALLY wish he would actually talk about issues but he very very seldom ever does and when he does, he proves he has absolutely no clue what he is doing.

Why won't his followers demand that he actually talk about issues instead of attack people personally?

Like it or not, "the alpha thing" is sales and business. And running the country is essentially being the CEO of the largest business in the world. You have a right to see it how you feel you want to, but I feel like I've done my part in this thread to help talk about Trump in a more subjective manner rather than simply listening to the propaganda that's out there regarding him.

I keep hearing "he never talks about specifics" about Trump. First off, what other candidate have you heard actually say what they are going to do? I tried hearing what Cruz was proposing, but he's exactly like Hillary in the fact that they say whatever they feel like they need to say in order to appease the audience they're talking to. I respect Sanders for being an outsider who's going up against the establishment, as well as his integrity, but I truly believe his policies would be the nail in the coffin of America's once-great economy. So to get back on track, I've heard Trump be the MOST consistent AND (admittedly) controversial with the things he says, but most of the time, he's completely right.

And I know exactly why he's getting brutalized by public opinion. It's because in our society, we're taught that rich people are evil, and then people turn around and applaud mediocrity. I don't get it personally, but it is what it is right now, and I hope it changes.

I agree: I don't think Trump ever really intended to run for president. To this day I cannot for the life of me figure out why he would want the job, other than some ego thing. He's got more money than he knows what to do with, he's a household name and reasonably well-liked (outside the political sphere, before all the quotes he's dropped in the last year), and he's doing nothing but alienating the very party he needs to actually get anything done in office. It doesn't seem like a real presidential run, and hasn't right up to the point where he secured enough delegates for an uncontested convention. Mostly I think he did this as a lark, much like his past "presidential runs," and he just let it fly from the hip. That struck a chord with enough people - and the Republican party is in such disarray - that he's done gone and won the thing.

I'm concerned that, were he to win the presidency, he'd do very little governing and do a lot more kvetching than he is now. I'm afraid that two years into a Trump presidency we'll look back at the Obama presidency as "that time when congress actually got along with the White House."

I think both Trump and America stand to lose badly if he gets the nomination. He'll be the first president since Nixon ousted from office before his term ends.

Thanks for the response. I'll disagree that he's doing it to stroke his ego. I think he is a legitimately caring individual who has a very strange and brash way of showing it. That will probably make some people laugh, but that's what I see as the motive for his run as president. If it were for personal reasons, he wouldn't be using all of his own personal and company money to fund his campaign. Just recently he talked about the decision he was going to have to make to either sell one of his buildings or take some money from Super PACs. That tells me a lot about his motive.

I'll potentially agree with you on the part about Congress and Trump butting heads. It's absolutely going to happen, because the magnitude of departmental cuts that will happen in a Trump presidency will be glorious (IMO). In general, people want to avoid change at all costs, and I understand that, because that's primal instinct in our brains. But the difference in my opinion is that I believe that after the smoke clears after all that happens, people will settle in to the changes and we will be better off.

Will our foreign relations be warm and fuzzy? Absolutely not, but trade with foreign countries is a negotiation that we've been getting absolutely obliterated on for decades now, and it needs fixed.

• Fire 1

Like it or not, "the alpha thing" is sales and business. And running the country is essentially being the CEO of the largest business in the world. You have a right to see it how you feel you want to, but I feel like I've done my part in this thread to help talk about Trump in a more subjective manner rather than simply listening to the propaganda that's out there regarding him.

I keep hearing "he never talks about specifics" about Trump. First off, what other candidate have you heard actually say what they are going to do? I tried hearing what Cruz was proposing, but he's exactly like Hillary in the fact that they say whatever they feel like they need to say in order to appease the audience they're talking to. I respect Sanders for being an outsider who's going up against the establishment, as well as his integrity, but I truly believe his policies would be the nail in the coffin of America's once-great economy. So to get back on track, I've heard Trump be the MOST consistent AND (admittedly) controversial with the things he says, but most of the time, he's completely right.

And I know exactly why he's getting brutalized by public opinion. It's because in our society, we're taught that rich people are evil, and then people turn around and applaud mediocrity. I don't get it personally, but it is what it is right now, and I hope it changes.

I'm sorry, I'm 49 years old and have been in the business world ever since I was in college. I run a pretty successful business and have been in business with and around people who are extremely successful business people. For the life of me, I can not remember anyone of them that thought being a total jackass to people was some how becoming an "alpha" over people and that's why they are successful. Are there jackasses? Absolutely...but, they are just jackasses that people have to put up with. In fact, I know some jackasses that would be even more successful if they weren't jackasses.

This entire thought process that insulting people is some how some magnificent business tactic is totally preposterous and it's amazing to me that he has somehow convinced this many people of that.

As for the bolded red. That right there is the perfect description of Trump. You seem to be a reasonably intelligent person. What I am shocked at is that there are people like you who are intelligent and don't see it. He has flip flopped on just about every issue he has actually discussed. Why???? Because his audience changes or he realizes he's getting killed by something he said so he has to change it to be....."well.....that's not what I really meant....the media is painting it differently". I'm even trying to think of something he has been consistent about other than...."I'm so great".

And....finally.....at least for me on the bolded green part.....I have absolutely zero problem with rich people. But, the question I have on your comment is, what person running isn't rich? Seriously....to get to where they are, you have to be rich. So, why would people who have a problem with rich people single him out?

Thanks for the response. I'll disagree that he's doing it to stroke his ego. I think he is a legitimately caring individual who has a very strange and brash way of showing it. That will probably make some people laugh, but that's what I see as the motive for his run as president. If it were for personal reasons, he wouldn't be using all of his own personal and company money to fund his campaign. Just recently he talked about the decision he was going to have to make to either sell one of his buildings or take some money from Super PACs. That tells me a lot about his motive.

I'll potentially agree with you on the part about Congress and Trump butting heads. It's absolutely going to happen, because the magnitude of departmental cuts that will happen in a Trump presidency will be glorious (IMO). In general, people want to avoid change at all costs, and I understand that, because that's primal instinct in our brains. But the difference in my opinion is that I believe that after the smoke clears after all that happens, people will settle in to the changes and we will be better off.

Will our foreign relations be warm and fuzzy? Absolutely not, but trade with foreign countries is a negotiation that we've been getting absolutely obliterated on for decades now, and it needs fixed.

You're right - this did make me laugh. Really hard. Still laughing as I reread it.

Alright, I'm trying to sit back and watch this unfold for the most part, since the interactions are amusing. But I cannot NOT heckle you for this.

The first red, You've got to be kidding me.

It took 3+ press releases to frame his responses in such a way as to make them palatable for his target audience.

• Talked about negotiating our way out of debt by paying back less than we owe, and claims we can't default since we can print more money.

• He has long said that wages are too high, saying explicitly that he wants the minimum wage left alone, but came out the other day and advocated a raise to $7.25, because "I don't know how people can make it on $7.25."

• He's campaigned strongly on cutting taxes, and just yesterday said that, "And in my opinion, the taxes on the rich will go up somewhat."

This is like definitional pandering. What he does is tries to adopt no firm policy positions in order to appeal to as many groups of people as possible, and hope they all take from it something they like and ignore the rest. How anyone can trust this guy is beyond my grasp. He's literally just pulling whatever he wants in the moment out of his ass. That's fine, because he spitballs all his interviews.

I could never trust Trump because I believe he's literally doing and saying whatever he thinks he needs to do and say to get elected. He's blindly appealing to the masses. I have no idea what his actual policies are, because frankly, he changes them with the wind. Whatever is politically convenient in the moment, that's what he's for. So before you accuse Clinton or Cruz of pandering to whatever audience is in front of them, you need to wake up and smell the f---ing coffee.

As to the second point, no, that's not why he gets brutalized. You can argue liberal media spin all you want, and that's fine. Trump gets brutalized because his ideas are objectively idiotic. He tries to clarify his mistakes away, but you can only get away with that for so long before people realize you have no idea what you're talking about. And you can only be a shapeless amoeba trying to adopt whatever form you feel is best for you in the given moment before people realize you don't actually stand for anything serious in any consistent way. Probably the only things he's been consistent on are some of his stupidest, most untenable ideas, like the Walland the ban on Muslims.

As to the third point, he's not really spending much money. He's taking a lot of individual donations and loaning himself a lot of money. The reason he is struggling with whether on not to accept PAC help is because A) A lot of traditional Republican donors don't want to support him at all and B) he loses his nonsense argument that he's better than everyone else running because he's self-funded.

From the start of his campaign in April through October last year, individual contributions made up about 67 percent of total money raised for his campaign.

Other media outlets who looked at this claim before the most recent FEC filings concluded that Trump’s claim was inaccurate because, at the time, most of his funding was coming from individual contributions.

That brings us to the second caveat: The vast majority of Trump’s contributions to his own campaign — about $12.6 million — are loans rather than donations. This means he could expect to eventually recoup these funds.

Further, of the approximately $12 million Trump’s campaign spent in 2015, about $2.7 million went toward reimbursing Trump-affiliated companies for services provided to the campaign, such as traveling in his own plane and helicopter, according to a New York Times analysis.

Rick Hasen, an expert in election and campaign finance law at the University of California Irvine, disagrees.

"I don't think it is fair to say that a person is self-funding if a significant share of those contributions come from someone other than the candidate," he said. "Nor do I think a candidate who loans money to his campaign, but who expects to be paid back by the campaign, is fairly characterized as self-funding."

Ahhhh... That felt good. Now, back to the sidelines! :nanalama

• Fire 3

I'm sorry, I'm 49 years old and have been in the business world ever since I was in college. I run a pretty successful business and have been in business with and around people who are extremely successful business people. For the life of me, I can not remember anyone of them that thought being a total jackass to people was some how becoming an "alpha" over people and that's why they are successful. Are there jackasses? Absolutely...but, they are just jackasses that people have to put up with. In fact, I know some jackasses that would be even more successful if they weren't jackasses.

This entire thought process that insulting people is some how some magnificent business tactic is totally preposterous and it's amazing to me that he has somehow convinced this many people of that.

As for the bolded red. That right there is the perfect description of Trump. You seem to be a reasonably intelligent person. What I am shocked at is that there are people like you who are intelligent and don't see it. He has flip flopped on just about every issue he has actually discussed. Why???? Because his audience changes or he realizes he's getting killed by something he said so he has to change it to be....."well.....that's not what I really meant....the media is painting it differently". I'm even trying to think of something he has been consistent about other than...."I'm so great".

And....finally.....at least for me on the bolded green part.....I have absolutely zero problem with rich people. But, the question I have on your comment is, what person running isn't rich? Seriously....to get to where they are, you have to be rich. So, why would people who have a problem with rich people single him out?

Also I would just like to say that of these rich successful people; Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Steve Jobs, Trump, The Clintons, The Bushes, Tiger Woods, Ndamukong Suh, Elon Musk, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Brady, Jerry Jones, the Kardashians, Eminem... get my point. I only dislike one person (Trump because he's a buffoon) and hate one family (because they are artificial morons; aka Kardashians). So no even a "liberal" isn't taught to hate the rich. We just think differently about collective wealth and how that can best serve the country.
  • Fire 2

Wait...are people pretending like alpha-dogs are not a real thing? Come on...

Now...non-alphas will reply to this...True Alphas will ignore it...

Can't wait to see what happens...

You're a moron. I'm great! Everybody loves me!

See...you just tried to Alpha! So you admit it is a real thing!

Well I'm the greatest. A lot of people try to be great, but I am. It takes an awesome person to be so great and that's me. I work hard, the hardest and because of that I'm great. And I have great hair. Fantastic hair. It takes a lot of hard work and hairspray to get this hair, but hairspray today isn't as great as it used to be-if I spray hairspray in my apartment it doesn't deplete the ozone. Environmentalists are idiots, so are women, and minorities. They wish they were as great as me.

• Fire 3