Anyone else have no handle on how good or bad the Huskers are going to be?

Dagerow

This is the first season, in a long while, where I have no clue on how good the huskers are going to be this season. That applies to all parts of the team (apart from kicking).

I know that such uncertainty comes with coaching changes. But usually with the coaches', players' and journalists' comments, I can get a sense. Not this year.

• Fire 5

I have no clue either. It's too early to tell. Lots of question marks but also there are as usual some reasons to be optimistic. Just one guy's take though.

If Nebraska struggled more than some think they might with the guys they have now I wouldn't be surprised. Then again with a new coach they could come together better than one might expect too.

One thing I want to see is Nebraska get better as the season progresses. Not so much the W-L total but do these guys improve as the year goes along?

That's what I'll be waiting/wanting to see.

Ya, I'm with ya.

I think I'm going to enjoy watching the games more.

I think we will look more consistent and improve from season beginning to seasons end.

I think the passing game will be more refined and Tommy will look like a whole new QB.

I think the huddle will benefit this team greatly.

I think Riley's calm demeanor and his staffs experience will help keep the team from unraveling.

I think we will gang tackle and create some ferocious pressure in the backfield this year.

If things go wrong or right, I expect to have a better understanding as to why things went the way they did.

I think the players will have more fun.

Will all this stuff translate to more wins? No clue. First season, new staff. I'm just really looking forward to it and rooting for these coaches hard core. I really like these guys.

• Fire 3

I kinda touched on this a week or so ago. As complacent as the Bo era had become, we knew we had some real potential. But we also knew we would get in our own way. This season is more surreal than I expected.

Instead of eager anticipation, I am leery of the worst possible scenario even though I am really pretty optimistic about our staff and team. We open the season against some actual competition and get a real look at what the year holds, something we never had under Bo.

One way or another we are going to win games this year, we just don't know what will be our strengths and weaknesses. For all the negatives, and there were a lot piled up at the end, we had a strange comfort to hokd onto before. We knew we would field a strong RB, a bend/dont break d with a stout secondary, win 9, lose 4. It was stagnant, but it was our bar. Now we have something refreshing and frankly it feels weird. But in 9 days it is going to feel pretty damn good.

Lots of unknowns! We really only have 2 NFL type players, collins and fultz. dpe might have been the 3rd one but i'm really guarded on him coming back full strength this yr. foot injury means he wont be in football shape when he's ok'd to return. Looking at a red shirt is definately something to keep an open mind about. I do believe the players will get better coaching and not tend to unravel when the going gets tuff. tommie is someone who most people will be watching, to see how he evolves. like to see run/pass stay around 50/50.

I think better in terms of playing sound fundamental football. Now how this plays out in W-L record, I have no idea. I hope it means losses, if any, are by a respectable margin. We have talent with the DB's, but they have never played every down "on an island" with not a lot of safety help. Should be interesting. The CB's will need to be very physical at the LOS. I am hoping to see the physicality we saw when Sanders was DB coaching i.e. receivers knocked on their butts, into the sideline or run out of the play. We face some decent QB's so it should be interesting. A D built to stop the run sounds good. Attacking down hill sounds good. Gang tackling sounds good. Things we have missed for several years..... I'm ready to see it.

If our run game goes stagnant, we are in trouble. I think MR and Langs plan to use the run game to open the passing game. How much of last years ground game was AA and how much was the OL doing their job to make him look great? If its up to the backs to make the holes........

By all accounts, TA is improving. Again, simply looking off the DB's and using the RB as a release will do wonders for his game and NU. The jet sweep and good play calling should also help.

With the schedule, we have the talent and ability to go undefeated IMO. With the previous staff, were a lock for the 9 wins. This staff, IMO, with its experience should be good for at least another win or 2 on paper. I'd like to think we go 10-2, 9-3 at the least in the regular season. Tough OOC games so we should have a good idea by conference play.

We're gonna have a pretty good defense this year. Or at least we have the players for it. This much I know. The biggest unknown for me is Mark Banker. I hope he is able to use the Blackshirt talent we have right now. I hope he is able to make mid-game adjustments to avoid blowout losses.

Offense is a bit more iffy. I really don't know what to expect. I'm hopeful that our O-line comes together and gives us a decent run game. Even though we lost Abdullah I think we still have the RBs for it. Passing? I dunno. I hope Tommy overcomes the sophomore jinx, and develops further in his accuracy and reads. Tommy has tons of potential, and I think Langsdorf is a good fit to take Tommy to the next level. Or at least that's the feeling I get.

But I have to admit that, despite what I think I think I know, I really don't know jack sh#t at this point. None of us do. But we'll know more in another eight days. :lol:

I just hope that Riley and the staff have the perspective to ignore the early outside bullsh#t and not let the snake (outside negativity) in the lockerroom to essentially drive the program. It's gonna be rough early. Obviously, a 2-2 start with the first season opening loss in like 30 some years is going to generate a lot of negativity, and open the gates allowing whats left of the Bolievers to come out in droves and pull there "i told you so" cards. Buts it's how they build and improve that I'm curious in seeing. I want to see how the team grows. Im tired of watching the team I love appear to be tired of football by mid October. And great things are perfectly possible even with a poor start. Ohio St lost to Virginia Tech. Yes, that Ohio St. The invisible one.

Yeah, I may say they're going to be 10-2 and playing tOSU in the B1G Title Game...but...yeah, that's just me being optimistic.

I have no freakin' clue...and considering the mixed media messages, I'm not sure our windows into the program do either.

Brief thoughts

Less big plays given up on the ground more given up through the air. (Which in our conference should be a good trade)

A decline in rush yards per game and an increase through the air on offense. (Partially bc we lost #8 and the other will be growing pains in the new scheme)

Not as explosive in the return game, but a very good KO and Punt teams. (DPE getting hurt and when he does return people will have learned not to kick him the ball)

No blowouts for or against us.

Progress from start to finish. (We have fell of the tracks a bit towards the end of the season in years past but I think Riley will manage this team well and will adapt each week to improve as the season goes along.

Surprise upset W and L- (I think we beat either mich st or wiscy but will lose to a NW or another team we should beat.

We finish 9-3 this season but feel like moving forward we have a top 25 recruiting class to finish up the year and have a good start and to the 2017 cycle and the kool aid begins to get real strong for the upcoming season and the Riley era.

Thats my 2 cents.

• Fire 1