Well, Pelini haters...

Biggest difference we will see between Riley vs Bo is Riley can recruit. Bo couldn't recruit anyone and it was getting more evident the longer he was in there. Not to mention his childish rants on the sidelines. 9 wins is great if that's all you expect from your program. But at Nebraska we expect more.

There is nothing to support that Riley is recruiting better players than Bo at this point.

More players comitted but the ranking looks kind of similiar

What I meant was that the players are a couple of 4 star and mostly 3 star. Not that there is anything wrong with that. But to suggest Riley is recruiting better players isn't true to this point.

What is true is that Riley and Co. appear to be more energetic and enthusiastic about recruiting. Which is good.

I agree with you, and if you look into it, many of the higher rated recruits from the last class and the 16 class were locked down by the previous staff. Moreover, Riley hasn't been able to get the top 2 instate kids for 16, at a position of dire need, even when 1 was locked in by the previous staff.

I like what Riley has done with social media and satellite camps, but there is nothing to suggest that this staff has upgraded recruiting.

They have upgraded the recruiting efforts. It just hasn't paid off in getting higher ranked players than Pelini has got. But 2016 is his first full recruiting class and he did a fantastic job of kepping most of the 2015 guys with Nebraska. And that is a big deal.

I agree.

Patience in recruiting, competing and so on is the order of the day (or years really). Riley is NOT going to transform Nebraska football from a perennial top 35 or 40 program into a top 10 program by merely showing up. Urban Meyer could not restore the natural order of the Huskers 'on high' over night. It would take several years minimum for a top of the heap coach of his status to do it. Riley will restore our reputation as a good place for parents to send their kids to play major college football. Then he will have to gradually improve the product on the field. It could take 5 years realistically to get us into the perennial top 20 status frankly.

Some of what you say has merit, but i disagree with the quoted. If you put Urb or Sabs in Lincoln, he would instantly pull top 10, heck top 5 classes.

Also, for all of Bo's faults, from most accords he represented the university very well when he was in living rooms.

Patience in recruiting, competing and so on is the order of the day (or years really). Riley is NOT going to transform Nebraska football from a perennial top 35 or 40 program into a top 10 program by merely showing up. Urban Meyer could not restore the natural order of the Huskers 'on high' over night. It would take several years minimum for a top of the heap coach of his status to do it. Riley will restore our reputation as a good place for parents to send their kids to play major college football. Then he will have to gradually improve the product on the field. It could take 5 years realistically to get us into the perennial top 20 status frankly.

Some of what you say has merit, but i disagree with the quoted. If you put Urb or Sabs in Lincoln, he would instantly pull top 10, heck top 5 classes.

Also, for all of Bo's faults, from most accords he represented the university very well when he was in living rooms.

Which would take at least 2-4 years to see real results from that on the field.

The part that has merit is that Urb or Sabs Top 5 recruiting class could not prove themselves until they actually played. Possibly as Freshmen, but more likely as they integrate with somebody else's players trying to unlearn their previous schemes.

Also worth noting: Urb and Saban are the two best coaches and recruiters in college football. Saying Mike Riley -- or any coach -- is no Urb or Saban is certainly true. But we were never going to hire them. So let's roll with what we got, eh?

• Fire 3

Biggest difference we will see between Riley vs Bo is Riley can recruit. Bo couldn't recruit anyone and it was getting more evident the longer he was in there. Not to mention his childish rants on the sidelines. 9 wins is great if that's all you expect from your program. But at Nebraska we expect more.

There is nothing to support that Riley is recruiting better players than Bo at this point.

More players comitted but the ranking looks kind of similiar

What I meant was that the players are a couple of 4 star and mostly 3 star. Not that there is anything wrong with that. But to suggest Riley is recruiting better players isn't true to this point.

What is true is that Riley and Co. appear to be more energetic and enthusiastic about recruiting. Which is good.

I agree with you, and if you look into it, many of the higher rated recruits from the last class and the 16 class were locked down by the previous staff. Moreover, Riley hasn't been able to get the top 2 instate kids for 16, at a position of dire need, even when 1 was locked in by the previous staff.

I like what Riley has done with social media and satellite camps, but there is nothing to suggest that this staff has upgraded recruiting.

Fant and Bubek both are good athletes with nice size and length. They are both realistically projects, not someone that is going to come in as freshman and contribute or even contribute as RS freshman, they may never contribute significantly. I think they will eventually be good players but you never know. Fant wants to play TE and Nebraska wants him at DE. Bubek likes that ASU wants him to play WR.

BP missed on a lot of instate guys badly. Three of those guys are starting at Iowa right now, Ott, Bazata, and Cole Fisher. Ott and Bazata were huge screw ups on his part IMO. Harrison Phillips is starting for Stanford because Pelini slow played him. Bubek and Fant have been offered and are choosing to go elsewhere, maybe MR and his staff screwing it up, I don't know, but BP just flat out slow played or ignored good FB players from the state of Nebraska.

• Fire 3

Patience in recruiting, competing and so on is the order of the day (or years really). Riley is NOT going to transform Nebraska football from a perennial top 35 or 40 program into a top 10 program by merely showing up. Urban Meyer could not restore the natural order of the Huskers 'on high' over night. It would take several years minimum for a top of the heap coach of his status to do it. Riley will restore our reputation as a good place for parents to send their kids to play major college football. Then he will have to gradually improve the product on the field. It could take 5 years realistically to get us into the perennial top 20 status frankly. We will need a couple 'lucky' recruiting surprises or a small group of in state kids that are 4 and 5 star difference makers. Nebraska has not produced the quality running backs and linemen that we used to be getting. We used to recruit 2 or 3 O line prospects yearly that would come in, red shirt, work hard and eventually work in to the playing rotation by their junior years. We used to reload with linemen. Now we hardly have sufficient playing level ready linemen to substitute regularly much less 'reload' annually.

My only problem with that is, Riley's no spring chicken

Hopefully Riley hangs around 7 or 8 years and presumably from within his present staff will grow the next Osborne to take over for MR when he does retire. That is the smooth and more seemless transition (ala Devaney to TO to Frank) that is really needed to keep the momentum going. Of course, we need very much for the next Head Coach to become a more household name and recognized nationally. As the the team progresses from 8 or 9 wins to 10 / 11 wins with a couple higher profile bowl wins, recruiting will improve.

Imagine what if TO had hung around another 13 seasons (to 2000). I am convinced that we could and would have won at least 5 more national titles and maybe more. We had so much momentum in recruiting, popularity nationally, continuing the dominance was almost a certainty. We were on nearly every top recruits short list of schools to consider. Many called Lincoln before Lincoln called them. In TO's last several recruiting classes, the coaches identified the nation's top 100 players and literally signed 22 of them annually. Unprecedented. Now, we didn't always identify the same players as some of the analysts and pundits, but they were Tom's top 100.

These days, we are not getting more than one or two to even visit, let alone commit and sign. This is a dramatic difference. We may never get to that point again (I think Ohio State is probably in that stratospheric recruiting altitude presently). But we can make dramatic gains if we get to the point of taking 15 of the top 300.

• Fire 1

Can we get a Mulligan

If we play the same defense, BYU scores 4 out of 5 times on that play.
Gerry was in position that receiver is 6dt 6 and there were 5 players standing there
I can't see the number, but a single player is behind the receiver, another is about two yards to his right, and there are 5 DBs in the back of the end zone. The ball is in the air nearly four seconds and hits the receiver in the stomach, chest area.; someone should have been in front of the receiver. That is the most pathetic hail mary defense I have ever seen.[/size]
I don't think the guys saw that receiver until it was too late. I think he came from the other side of the field.

I don't like the "prevent" in that situation either, but that's a tough spot to be in. There's nothing easy about defending that. Probably not something these guys have talked about a whole lot.

But they are standing in the end zone. It took over 3 seconds for the ball to get to the end zone. Track the ball and make a play. It looked like they were playing ring around the rosie back there.

They tracked the ball. They were in position. They were up against three BYU receivers who were 6' 5" or taller. It wasn't luck by BYU or blown coverage by Nebraska. It was an athletic football play won by a better (and taller) player.

Pretty much everyone in the world disagrees with you on this. But if you want to see the play broken down, check out https://hailvarsity.com/news/tale-of-the-tape-byu/2015/09/ for a reality check.

Oh I don't disagree about the pass rush, which is the bulk of his breakdown. It actually left too many guys playing the end zone and Mangum to get off an accurate throw. But that left enough defenders who were in fact tracking the ball and in position. Saying "just jump up and make the play!" is easy to say when you're on the couch. I'm not seeing anyone claiming that BYU's talented and oddly tall roster of receivers doesn't present a problem for every opposing team.

How about just try to make any play instead of standing 5 yards behind the guy watching him catch the winning TD?

• Fire 1

Can we get a Mulligan

Gerry was in position that receiver is 6dt 6 and there were 5 players standing there
I can't see the number, but a single player is behind the receiver, another is about two yards to his right, and there are 5 DBs in the back of the end zone. The ball is in the air nearly four seconds and hits the receiver in the stomach, chest area.; someone should have been in front of the receiver. That is the most pathetic hail mary defense I have ever seen.[/size]
I don't think the guys saw that receiver until it was too late. I think he came from the other side of the field.

I don't like the "prevent" in that situation either, but that's a tough spot to be in. There's nothing easy about defending that. Probably not something these guys have talked about a whole lot.

But they are standing in the end zone. It took over 3 seconds for the ball to get to the end zone. Track the ball and make a play. It looked like they were playing ring around the rosie back there.

They tracked the ball. They were in position. They were up against three BYU receivers who were 6' 5" or taller. It wasn't luck by BYU or blown coverage by Nebraska. It was an athletic football play won by a better (and taller) player.

Pretty much everyone in the world disagrees with you on this. But if you want to see the play broken down, check out https://hailvarsity.com/news/tale-of-the-tape-byu/2015/09/ for a reality check.

Oh I don't disagree about the pass rush, which is the bulk of his breakdown. It actually left too many guys playing the end zone and Mangum to get off an accurate throw. But that left enough defenders who were in fact tracking the ball and in position. Saying "just jump up and make the play!" is easy to say when you're on the couch. I'm not seeing anyone claiming that BYU's talented and oddly tall roster of receivers doesn't present a problem for every opposing team.

How about just try to make any play instead of standing 5 yards behind the guy watching him catch the winning TD?

That's the play you saw? Disinterested Nebraska players standing 5 yards behind "the guy?"

Can we get a Mulligan

That's the play you saw? Disinterested Nebraska players standing 5 yards behind "the guy?"

I use exaggeration to make a point. But if you honestly think we played that perfectly and simply got unlucky you are a fool.

• Fire 1