Realistic Expectations...

BIG ERN

That was one of the worst losses outside of the Wisconsin beat downs, but the sky isn't falling IMO.

• We lost our leading receiver who set school record in rec. yards (Bell)
  • We lost our leading rusher (Ameer) who was probably the 2nd best RB in the nation last year and is 2nd all time in school history for rushing yards
  • We lost our leading sacks leader (Randy) who was one of the better DEs ever to come through Nebraska
  • We lost our leading tackler from last year in Zaire
  • We didn't have the best punt returner in the nation and our 1st/2nd best WR in DPE
  • We didn't have Michael Rose who IMO is our second best defender on the team
  • We didn't have our starting TE and backup/starting CB

Going off who was 'coming back', getting a new coaching staff, and playing a solid BYU team who is known for winning big openers, this was a way tougher test than people gave credit for. Might sound like some excuses, but outside of our poor o-line and passing defense I thought we looked like a pretty good football team.

People need to realize that a running defense will pay off a lot better in B10 play. Things need to be shored up of course, but I still think we have a chance to win the West - have to beat Wisconsin October 10th.

Maybe I had a few beers, but I still feel confident in this squad. Some thoughts on who I know shouldn't be playing or were somehow overrated by fans/coaches:

1. Gifford - I seen no reason why he should have played today. I have no doubt in my mind that Newby or Ferguson would have played better.
  2. Davie - Who ever hyped this kid up, and why? Didn't see much last two years and played very poorly today.
  3. Brown - Well, he isn't his brother and I always thought Bondi never got a real shot at the job
  4. A. Williams - I think he will end up being a good player, but would have rather seen K. Williams get the start and PT. True freshman in this game didn't pan out and I think K. Will is the better option regardless.
  • Fire 3

I'm guessing 8 wins. I think we'll lose to Miami, Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Minnesota or Northwestern. I'm okay with that assuming we improve next year.

so we don't beat a single team with a pulse

I'm in the camp that thinks the 1st year is difficult. I believe I've always said I think we'll have 8 or 9 wins in year 1 and then get better.

• Fire 1

Penalties, a turnover, inconsistency along the lines, and no consistent commitment to the rushing attack.

This is exactly what COULD have happened, and did, when you make big coaching changes, lose a lot of players to injuries and suspensions and play a formidable opponent in week one.

Here's how I look at it, though - I'd rather have some tough losses and the prospect of a more promising future than settle for another #9wins. There are positive to build on here.

I'm guessing 8 wins. I think we'll lose to Miami, Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Minnesota or Northwestern. I'm okay with that assuming we improve next year.

Yes, in other words, a Bo Pelini season. Seriously, WTH are you complaining about, if there wasn't a coaching change you'd have the same thing today, possibly worse.

• Fire 1

Really no different than the last 7 seasons. Only, sometimes we'd beat a team we shouldn't only to follow it up by losing to a team we shouldn't.

Mike Riley is about doing things differently to try and get a different outcome. There's A LOT going against this team right now and it is what it is.