Dirty play and Officiating

C N Red

There were a couple of times where the flags could've been thrown. I didn't get the hands to the face call that seemed critical. They showed the replay on TV and 56 for BYU had his hands all up in the grill and face of our DT. Then they turned around and said it was actually a penalty on 55 for Nebraska. They never showed the replay of that. Did they screw that up?

There were a couple of times where the flags could've been thrown. I didn't get the hands to the face call that seemed critical. They showed the replay on TV and 56 for BYU had his hands all up in the grill and face of our DT. Then they turned around and said it was actually a penalty on 55 for Nebraska. They never showed the replay of that. Did they screw that up?

Yes they did, it cost us a stop on third down and gave them a td. another turning point in the game and big reason we lost. The refs looked like rookies out there at times.

Yeah, I never did understand that "Hands to the Face" call on #55. The replay showed BYU #78 with his hands all over our #55's face, but they called us. All I saw there was #78 adjusting his helmet afterwards. So maybe #55 retaliated and that's what the officials saw. All I can think of there.

I didn't know BYU was considered dirty, and I didn't think so during the game really, either. That was a cheap shot on Sutton out-of-bounds, and I thought the officials blew the not-called "Roughing the Kicker" when Foltz was injured. The replays I saw didn't appear as if the ball was touched.

Anytime the officiating is that lopsided, you wonder about it. All teams commit fouls, so usually it comes down to which ones officials call and which ones they do not. NU seemed to get away with some very physical play on the receivers a few times, too.

In general though, I didn't feel like the officiating cost us the game. It wasn't Texas A&M-level bad.

Foltz was an accident - the opponent was blocked into him.

The only critique I would have is I think BYU's o-line got away with quite a few holding penalties, particularly one in the first half against Maliek when their offensive linemen got beat and had Maliek in a choke hold basically.

That said, a lot of holding penalties often go missed or uncalled. That just kind of happens. Hell, we avoided a blatant block in the back penalty that I'm amazed was never called.

Overall, the officiating was pretty average. They missed a lot, had a few calls I didn't quite agree with it, but then did get a lot of calls correct.

• Fire 1

"Dirty play"?! C'mon, Fans, get over it. I thought BYU played a well coached, clean and disciplined game and they have some great athletes on their team: namely those beastly receivers. Bad hits, some they can happen, but were in no way intentional, it's just whining to say so. Give them credit for the W, they earned it every bit as much as we did had it gone the other way. I thought the refs called a good game too, BTW. NE just needed to make one more play and guess what, we didn't.

BYU: respect.