Imani Cross

I thought the TD run was a thing of beauty. Really impressed with Imani this year. I think we'll need him down the road; you have to stay low and drive if you want to stay alive against the Big Ten teams. None of that west coast dancing will cut it. I really like his attitude and effort and believe it will pay off.

• Fire 1

I think the coaching staff is really hot on Wilbon, but made a conscious decision to feature Newby in a relatively safe game like So. Alabama to see how the team responds to more traditional Nebraska football.

Mike Riley is still kicking the tires of his new team.

I don't think he minds being a little too deep at running back.

Imani is a weird case. He seems to run well when given the option but also has changed his style. He was a between the tackle grinder when he started here, and then lost weight and tried to be quicker.

Seems like when he does play he has a lot of open/gaping holes, so not sure if it is because he usually plays in garbage time or what.

I dont hear many moan when he gets the ball but dont hear many scream he needs more touches... He is just one of those guys.

He does have a very impressive spin move though.

Imani Cross would have been a great back in Nebraska's vintage offenses of the 80's and 90's. He reminds me a lot of Dan Alexander, but he is not that fast. Ken Clark might be a better example. He just doesn't fit into the scheme that they are running. I think he would look really good in Michigan States backfield.

Imani Cross would have been a great back in Nebraska's vintage offenses of the 80's and 90's.

What? He is nothing like Rozier, DuBose, Jones, Brown, Phillips, or Green.

I think what he's saying is Imani Cross would probably have a more prominent role, or, have a better opportunity to succeed, in a power run offense. You're right in that Cross is nothing like Rozier, Jones or the other guys you mentioned. But, I don't think that was what NUinID was saying.

That said, I don't know if Cross would've been a great back in those other systems. Just so many variables at play there. I think another offense might lend better to his skill set, but, he's clearly being held back for some reason. And as other people have mentioned, this is the second staff in a row to feel the same way.

My opinion is he doesn't have great lateral quickness and it sounds like he's not the best pass catcher, so his role is somewhat limited. I also think the staff wanted to create some consistency in the run game against USA as well as boost Newby's confidence, and I think they succeeded in both of those areas.

Cross does what's asked of him and is a good player, but, sometimes I just wonder if this was the right place for him to go? The previous staff clearly saw something in him they liked, but his body type and abilities don't even really make sense for what the previous staff was looking for IMHO. Just kind of an interesting situation.

Imani Cross would have been a great back in Nebraska's vintage offenses of the 80's and 90's.

What? He is nothing like Rozier, DuBose, Jones, Brown, Phillips, or Green.

Nothing like comparing him to the best we had at that time. I said he reminded me of Alexander and Ken Clark, you could throw Tyreese Knox in there also for good measure. Guys that were a little bigger.

Running straight zone from under center is a lot easier than running it out of a shotgun. There is much less lateral movement and runner parallel with the LOS. Yes it is picking a hole, but it is picking a hole running down hill. He would have been just fine on the the 41/48 short toss that was the bread and butter of the 80's. He would definitely be a better pitch man on the option than he is running the zone read.

Saying he would have been great may be a little strong. He was better suited to that offense and would have had more success. You also have to remember his line would have been suited to running this stuff also.