Armstrong ... Best game he's ever played?

Statistically, no, this was not Armstrong's best game ever. But statistics never tell the entire tale.

The Nebraska WRs probably had no more than 5 drops combined after BYU and USA. They had 8 today, those obviously make a difference. One of those turned into an INT. Part of a completed pass requires the QB to find the open WR and throw an accurate pass, but it also requires the WRs to run precise routes. Stanley Morgan did not do that on the first INT, and he took the blame for that INT. Tommy threw 4 TDs, 3 of which came in the final 8 minutes of the game.

He's still that improved QB many of us have been wanting the past forever. It didn't show in his stat line today, but it showed on the field in his play. Now if his WRs can step up like they have the last couple games, he'll be fine.

• Fire 1

It's hard to say. He made some nice throws throughout the game. He dodged pressure and turned it into positive yards running. I don't think the stats in the game tell the complete story. Probably was his best against this type of competition on the road. It's just unfortunate timing to throw the worst pass of the day in overtime. I felt bad for the young man.

• Fire 1

Could we argue this is his best game ever?

Good Lord, how the mighty have fallen!

Nebraska lost to an unranked team, the quarterback couldn't complete 50% of his passes and threw three picks (no, the second was not a fluke; Armstrong threw into tight double coverage and both dbs collided going for the pick) and we are talking a career best???

Now go compare Armstrong's effort to Tommie Frazier's best, which would be the demolishing of Florida.

Nebraska fans now sweep up crumbs and call them a feast.

• Fire 1

And the stats today would look considerably different if our receivers could catch and hang on to a football.

One can go through the game and find a wide open Nebraska receiver badly missed to offset every dropped ball.

Let's not delude each other that Armstrong was on fire but let down by his receivers, such as is being done with the legend of the 8 foot BYU receiver jumping five feet off the ground to catch the Hail Mary.

• Fire 1

Could we argue this is his best game ever?

Good Lord, how the mighty have fallen!

Nebraska lost to an unranked team, the quarterback couldn't complete 50% of his passes and threw three picks (no, the second was not a fluke; Armstrong threw into tight double coverage and both dbs collided going for the pick) and we are talking a career best???

Now go compare Armstrong's effort to Tommie Frazier's best, which would be the demolishing of Florida.

Nebraska fans now sweep up crumbs and call them a feast.

I think you missed the point of the OPs question.

He certainly played his heart out and brought us back in the game. He also had two disastrous mistakes in the red zone that tools points off the board and effectively lost the game.

Tommy cared today. Those mistakes hurt, but without Tommy this game is a disaster.

Miami kept us in the game which allowed Tommy to throw a game 'losing' INT. Don't kid yourself if you think today's loss had anything to do with TA throwing two red zone INTs. He's by far our best offensive player just trying his best to make plays.

This is coming from a guy who has far from endorsed TA in the past. But his fight and toughness kept Nebraska from being absolutely embarrassed today. He did not lose us the game.

• Fire 2

He certainly played his heart out and brought us back in the game. He also had two disastrous mistakes in the red zone that tools points off the board and effectively lost the game.

Tommy cared today. Those mistakes hurt, but without Tommy this game is a disaster.

Miami kept us in the game which allowed Tommy to throw a game 'losing' INT. Don't kid yourself if you think today's loss had anything to do with TA throwing two red zone INTs. He's by far our best offensive player just trying his best to make plays.

This is coming from a guy who has far from endorsed TA in the past. But his fight and toughness kept Nebraska from being absolutely embarrassed today. He did not lose us the game.

TA cares and is a competitor, but I don't think many teams win when the QB throws two red zone interceptions.

Although if memory serves correct didn't TF and BB both throw an int in the end zone in the 95 OB?

There is no excuse for less than 50% completion percentage. Give him four dropped balls and it is only 55%. Three ints are also bad, but an int on first down in overtime is unforgivable. TA needs to rely more on his legs. He is a great runner. TA will not get drafted as a QB.

There were 6 dropped balls and, as many posters mentioned above, the first interception was due to poor route running. I know it doesn't fit your narrative of running the option like we did in '95, but good god man. Tommy played lights out and he's vastly improved since last year. If he continues his progression you can't say that he won't get drafted, we're talking over a year and a half till then.

Also, you give him the 6 drops. 27/45 = 60% for everyone concerned with stats; that's 10 percentage points above 50!!!!

Yes, I think it was probably the best game he's ever played for the Huskers......not because of the stats, what do stats really mean anyway?....but because he showed us that he's capable of taking a team that is down by 20 points and rallying it to win a game against a good opponent. Some of us wondered if he is a gamer, like Eric Crouch for instance, who can put the team on his back and have that leadership quality that makes you feel like you're never out of it as long as time is on the clock. He convinced me that he is.

• Fire 1

Yes, I think it was probably the best game he's ever played for the Huskers......not because of the stats, what do stats really mean anyway?....but because he showed us that he's capable of taking a team that is down by 20 points and rallying it to win a game against a good opponent. Some of us wondered if he is a gamer, like Eric Crouch for instance, who can put the team on his back and have that leadership quality that makes you feel like you're never out of it as long as time is on the clock. He convinced me that he is.

I would say it's a tossup between this game, last year's Iowa and USC games.

Which, if you think about it, is great news for us. Tommy has been absolutely balling in his last 5 outings now - he's made some tough mistakes but that's because he's been putting us entirely on his back. So funny to think about how he is turning into what Taylor Martinez turned into his junior year as well, even though our starting perceptions of the two were so much different.

Tommy's numbers over his last 5 games:

110/194 (57%) - 1481 yards - 296.2 ypg - 16 TD - 7 INT

That's......pretty freaking good. 10 of those 16 TDs have been late in the second half a well.