Time to bench Tommy and start one of the underclassmen against Minnesota

I think the preferred option -- and it's fair -- is just to get the passing game going again. When things are clicking, it's dangerous. Our receivers are a team strength. TE Cethan Carter has potential that everyone seems to love. Our top RB is probably better in the pass game than in the run game.
However, if things keep going the way they did in the opening two games of conference play...at some point, you have to call it. Can't go 40% passing the rest of the year.

Who is our top RB? If you're talking about Newby I know he's had several drops already but it's the yac that you would expect more of from a starter.

I still strongly feel/think that Mikale Wilbon needs to be out there and figure into the passing game somehow. While he only has 2 catches they've resulted in 28 yards (against BYU) and average out to 14 yards per catch and showed early on his potential for getting yac.

I am beyond baffled as to why his number isn't being called. He potentially could really add another dimension to a passing game and an offense that needs it.

I see this Minnesota game being the catalyst that sends TA to the bench for the rest of the season.

I predict 3-4 INT's this game, and maybe a fumble from TA - the Gophers have a much stouter D than many realize.

Blowout loss: Minnesota 38 Nebraska 6

I see this as less of a prediction and more of your hope so your troll belly will be full. Pretty sad man

Tommy is the least of our worries at this point.

Normally, I'd agree with you. TA has actually regressed the last two games IMHO, reverting to some of the poor mechanics that have plagued his career. We can talk drops and pass protection, but TA also deserves some of the blame here. He's completing only ~35 percent of his passes the last two games for one TD and a pick. Again, there's a lot of moving parts to the passing game, but some of his decisions aren't cutting it.

He's still our best option at QB given his experience, IMHO. I just think he 1) needs to be running 8-10 times a game 2) needs to have better throws called for him instead of being asked to chuck it 10-15 yards or more down field.

Watching him chuck a heave on 3rd down is getting old.

• Fire 1

i think we need to bench "bombs away" tommy and start "running" tommy instead.

This

We don't need to pull Tommy, we need to make best use of his abilities. He's meant to be a dual-threat qb, not a dropback passer. Ya running him presents more risk but if there is any time to pull out all stops it's now. Another setback Saturday and we say goodbye to any chance of making a bowl and managing a winning season.

• Fire 1

I just think he 1) needs to be running 8-10 times a game 2) needs to have better throws called for him instead of being asked to chuck it 10-15 yards or more down field.

He kind of is running 8-10 times a game: 11, 7, 8, 8 in the past four. Includes sacks, I guess. Didn't really run at all in first two games.

Regarding the throws, some of these are his decisions -- such as not taking the checkdown, etc -- and not necessarily the call by design. But maybe they are. I can't tell.

I've thought about the mechanics thing some the last week. I was wondering if perhaps it is something that Riley and Langs don't want to address until after the season. Trying to tweak a QB's mechanics mid season could blow up in your face if the QB starts overthinking too much. Perhaps they'd just rather he focus on piloting the offense now and they can try to fix this issue later?

I mean, TMart put in all his mechanics improvement work in the offseason, too.

Either way, it really does need addressed if they want to maximize TA's potential as a passer. He'll never, ever be as consistent with the throwing motion he has now. You see it in a lot of his throws... They're generally in the neighborhood of his receivers, but you can tell you never know where they'll end up. He's reverted to falling away as he throws, not stepping toward his receiver. Basically using all arm. He's got the arm strength to get away with it, but his accuracy will always be mediocre and inconsistent.

It was an issue under Beck and I hated seeing it. I had hoped the new coaches would improve it. I'm disappointed they haven't, but maybe we will see improvement moving forward. Never know :dunno

I've thought about the mechanics thing some the last week. I was wondering if perhaps it is something that Riley and Langs don't want to address until after the season. Trying to tweak a QB's mechanics mid season could blow up in your face if the QB starts overthinking too much. Perhaps they'd just rather he focus on piloting the offense now and they can try to fix this issue later?

I mean, TMart put in all his mechanics improvement work in the offseason, too.

Either way, it really does need addressed if they want to maximize TA's potential as a passer. He'll never, ever be as consistent with the throwing motion he has now. You see it in a lot of his throws... They're generally in the neighborhood of his receivers, but you can tell you never know where they'll end up. He's reverted to falling away as he throws, not stepping toward his receiver. Basically using all arm. He's got the arm strength to get away with it, but his accuracy will always be mediocre and inconsistent.

It was an issue under Beck and I hated seeing it. I had hoped the new coaches would improve it. I'm disappointed they haven't, but maybe we will see improvement moving forward. Never know :dunno

They really aren't going to change it. You basically can't. Langsdorf even said it himself. You can't overhaul a guy's mechanics. You can try to tweak a few things but there won't be major changes.

I just think he 1) needs to be running 8-10 times a game 2) needs to have better throws called for him instead of being asked to chuck it 10-15 yards or more down field.

He kind of is running 8-10 times a game: 11, 7, 8, 8 in the past four. Includes sacks, I guess. Didn't really run at all in first two games.

Regarding the throws, some of these are his decisions -- such as not taking the checkdown, etc -- and not necessarily the call by design. But maybe they are. I can't tell.

This is my big question. He's confident in his deep ball, which isn't a bad thing, but he needs to get better at checking down when it's not there.

This is my big question. He's confident in his deep ball, which isn't a bad thing, but he needs to get better at checking down when it's not there.

He must be the only one confident in his deep ball. I cringe every time I see him rare back to fling it.

• Fire 1

Mechanics aren't his only deficiency. He is very reminiscent of B.J. Daniels of South Florida, another immensely talented athlete who never developed into anything more than a backyard quarterback.

Oh wow I have never thought of this comparison before but you are totally right. Tommy never throws the ball away either which would lead to sacks for a huge loss much like BJ Daniels.

• Fire 1

He must be the only one confident in his deep ball. I cringe every time I see him rare back to fling it.

Yeah, he may confident throwing the deep ball, but it hasn't looked great this year. And the checkdowns have been really worrisome. He's had some designed rollouts and other pass plays where his only options appear to be 10 or more yards downfield. Either he isn't seeing the checkdowns or they're not there.