So you want to get rid of Riley

Can someone list me the sure-fire coaches out there?

And by that I mean sure-fire winners.

Because they certainly aren't sure-fire to leave their current job and come to Nebraska for any sum of money.

We'd be lucky to get David Shaw, but Palo Alto to Lincoln isn't a career trajectory any more. While we we sleeping, Stanford has earned a highly respected football program. Without over-paying for coaches.

Nearly impossible to find a coaching resume with W/L records that Husker fans won't fret over.

I can, IMO there are 2 sure fire coaches Sabin and Meyer, and neither of them is coming to Nebraska.

Again, my point.

Fans seem frustrated that UNL doesn't simply hire a coach guaranteed to return Nebraska to glory, presumably money being no object.

As if it's that simple.

The problem is we didn't even try. We hired a coach with a losing record, who never won anything in many years of coaching college football. When we hired Riley, every Nebraska fan had to google him. At least make an effort to get a proven winner. And if you do hire a mediocre coach, force him to hire top notch assistants. Very sad effort by our AD.

I guess I don't understand why it is so hard for some of you to believe that SE had Mike Riley in mind when he fired Pelini. I didn't have to google him I was very aware of who he was. If he would have been hired in 2007 when he was actually a real hot commodity everyone would have known him. MR was an out of the box hire for sure and was not my first choice, but I didn't think he was a bad choice.

When I say Sabin and Meyer are sure fire coaches I don't mean they will come into Nebraska and win 11 games their first year. I mean those are really the only two that I think could probably guarantee top 10 recruiting classes just on their name alone. No one else is going to be able to do that.

I didn't see a single poster on this board mention Mike Riley. That means he wasn't even in the top five choices of many knowledgeable fans. I also think rebuilding a top program is stressful and time consuming; something that is better suited for a younger coach. This was one of my major complaints about sweater vest.

I just said he was an out of the box hire. I said he I knew who he was, I didn't say he was in my top 5 coaches to hire. I figured he was a lifer at OSU after being there so long. Again just because he was on your top 5 you scribbled on a cocktail napkin doesn't mean he wasn't at the top of SE board.

That is my point. Most of us didn't want an out of the box hire. Getting rid of Bo brought us Christmas morning. We were anxiously unwrapping our big present hoping it was a top tier, proven winner. Knowing this was unlikely, we were hoping for the next best option; a proven mid-major winner, or an up and comer with a history of ferocious defenses or powerful running games. Instead, we open the big present, and it was a box of socks and underwear (an out-of-the box hire). So we all sigh, and go onto the smaller boxes - the assistant coaches. Now we are certain we can lure great assistants here, and at least one expressed interested in the DC job. But when we open the smaller boxes we get pajamas, shirts, pants, and a couple lumps of coal. We were completely stoned this Christmas.

I get you didn't want him, but aside from Sabin, Meyer, and maybe a couple of other guys there are very few proven winners over time that are going to come to Nebraska. There are lots of mid-major guys that have failed terribly when they have got their chance at a big time program.

You could very well have loved the hire of X mid major coach and he still could be 2-6 right now

You are absolutely correct, but I think the odds are better with a mid-major winner. I liked the Bo hire because we hired a DC that won a MNC. He didn't do terrible, but the occasional beatdowns coupled with a bad attitude cost him his job. I just wanted the AD to take a good swing instead of laying down a sacrifice bunt.

Well that is your opinion, it was obviously not SE's. You want a sexy hire, let's say he went after a guy like Jerry Kill, say before he went to Minnesota, what would you have thought of that? Goofy looking guy got a 350 pound guy as his DC? Nothing too dynamic about. Think about the PC to announce him. What do you think of that. You would love to have Kill right now, but would you have liked the hire then?

Ya Kill has worked-out but similar hires at Purdue and Illinois didn't. Plus there is a difference in who we can get and who Minnesota can get. As I said before the way I look at the situation was we were going 9-3 regularly with a blowout loss in there. There was definitely some places we could improve staffing, that would have likely lifted us out of the rut into better seasons. Ya that costs money but firing everyone likely costs us even more. If you are going to drop a ton firing everyone then you better have somebody lined-up you pretty-much know can deliver big results. Was Mike Riley that kind of "money" hire, it didn't appear so. We'll see what happens.

• Fire 1

Because they certainly aren't sure-fire to leave their current job and come to Nebraska for any sum of money.

We'd be lucky to get David Shaw, but Palo Alto to Lincoln isn't a career trajectory any more. While we we sleeping, Stanford has earned a highly respected football program. Without over-paying for coaches.

Nearly impossible to find a coaching resume with W/L records that Husker fans won't fret over.

I can, IMO there are 2 sure fire coaches Sabin and Meyer, and neither of them is coming to Nebraska.

Again, my point.

Fans seem frustrated that UNL doesn't simply hire a coach guaranteed to return Nebraska to glory, presumably money being no object.

As if it's that simple.

If a guy is guaranteed to return Nebraska to glory (as you put it), then money SHOULD be no object.

Guess it doesn't matter whether I want to get rid of Riley. For better or worse, Riley is in Lincoln and won't be going anywhere for a good while. The question is whether we'll be basement-dwellers in the Big Flippin Ten while he's here. omg, I'm gonna throw up.

Question -

For all the angst and people wanting a new coach, there sure are a lot of people absolutely offended at that attitude; what gives? Why is it so upsetting that some of your fellow fans want a different guy on our sideline?

You honestly can not understand why it is annoying as hell to constantly read posts whining like little children that didn't get what they wanted for Christmas when you and other fans would actually rather have conversations about other things than how horrible YOU think our coach is when you haven't even given him a chance to succeed?

I get back to my question I've asked many times, why is it fun for you to be so negative and bitch all the time?

• Fire 2

Again, my point.

As if it's that simple.

If a guy is guaranteed to return Nebraska to glory (as you put it), then money SHOULD be no object.

Nobody can guarantee that.

My fear is the Perleman and SE don't want NU to be a football power. They don't want football to dominate our identity. They will never hire a legend type coach because of this. They want us nice guy who wins some and loses some.

This level of WTF is what makes me wish I didn't have to be associated as a fan of the same program with some of you..

• Fire 2

Well that is your opinion, it was obviously not SE's. You want a sexy hire, let's say he went after a guy like Jerry Kill, say before he went to Minnesota, what would you have thought of that? Goofy looking guy got a 350 pound guy as his DC? Nothing too dynamic about. Think about the PC to announce him. What do you think of that. You would love to have Kill right now, but would you have liked the hire then?

Apparently the Nebraska football job is all about press conferences now.......

Again, my point.

As if it's that simple.

Nobody can guarantee that.

But that's what he said...

My fear is the Perleman and SE don't want NU to be a football power. They don't want football to dominate our identity. They will never hire a legend type coach because of this. They want us nice guy who wins some and loses some.

Seriously?

Perleman edged out TO as AD because he had too much influence, power and infallibility. Harvey doesn't want another football coach with that kind of power.

Again, my point.

As if it's that simple.

The problem is we didn't even try. We hired a coach with a losing record, who never won anything in many years of coaching college football. When we hired Riley, every Nebraska fan had to google him. At least make an effort to get a proven winner. And if you do hire a mediocre coach, force him to hire top notch assistants. Very sad effort by our AD.

I guess I don't understand why it is so hard for some of you to believe that SE had Mike Riley in mind when he fired Pelini. I didn't have to google him I was very aware of who he was. If he would have been hired in 2007 when he was actually a real hot commodity everyone would have known him. MR was an out of the box hire for sure and was not my first choice, but I didn't think he was a bad choice.

When I say Sabin and Meyer are sure fire coaches I don't mean they will come into Nebraska and win 11 games their first year. I mean those are really the only two that I think could probably guarantee top 10 recruiting classes just on their name alone. No one else is going to be able to do that.

I didn't see a single poster on this board mention Mike Riley. That means he wasn't even in the top five choices of many knowledgeable fans. I also think rebuilding a top program is stressful and time consuming; something that is better suited for a younger coach. This was one of my major complaints about sweater vest.

I just said he was an out of the box hire. I said he I knew who he was, I didn't say he was in my top 5 coaches to hire. I figured he was a lifer at OSU after being there so long. Again just because he was on your top 5 you scribbled on a cocktail napkin doesn't mean he wasn't at the top of SE board.

That is my point. Most of us didn't want an out of the box hire. Getting rid of Bo brought us Christmas morning. We were anxiously unwrapping our big present hoping it was a top tier, proven winner. Knowing this was unlikely, we were hoping for the next best option; a proven mid-major winner, or an up and comer with a history of ferocious defenses or powerful running games. Instead, we open the big present, and it was a box of socks and underwear (an out-of-the box hire). So we all sigh, and go onto the smaller boxes - the assistant coaches. Now we are certain we can lure great assistants here, and at least one expressed interested in the DC job. But when we open the smaller boxes we get pajamas, shirts, pants, and a couple lumps of coal. We were completely stoned this Christmas.

i would quite agree, a program like ours sure deserved a high quality coach with some real credentials to go along with him......that pretty new girl you were dreaming about, well you got the chubby little bitch next door, who picks her damn nose at dinner!

Now that is just totally uncalled for there. Mike R is not that bad. Come on people! Let's just try to offer constructive suggestions about how to make the team and the coaching it is getting better! We are not likely to have a HC or assistant coaching change before the end of November certainly. If riley is not the coach here next, it will be because he offered his resignation and that offer was accepted.

Seriously?
Perleman edged out TO as AD because he had too much influence, power and infallibility. Harvey doesn't want another football coach with that kind of power.
Omfg......

You must have a really cool tin foil hat.

This reads like some dude wrote it while clipping he's toenails, hardly deserves to be taken seriously, never mind worthy of discussion.

You're right, of course. Opinions are just opinions, and this list is somewhat meaningless. I happen to think that NU's tradition is a terrific strength that will ultimately assure continued success in the program, as long as the support base remains in place.